RobAsh15

COVER - Aldo Nova - Fantasy, by Rob Ash and Friends

10-13-18: MANY EDITS SINCE FIRST POSTING. THANKS DAVE, ONEWHOLOVESROCK. Completely changed the accent guitars. Located them differently in the sound wall. Changed the tone on the rhythm guitars. Warmed the mix considerably. Added a touch of reverb to the composite mix. Numerous other minor changes.

https://soundcloud.com/rob-ash-15/aldo-nova-fantasy-cover-by-rob-ash-and-friends

For a while now,. minus a break to have a heart attack, I've been working on a series of covers that reflect both songs I have always really liked and wanted to cover, and also my abiding love of hard rock, with an undeniable 80's influence. I like newer stuff, and will be covering some newer bands soon, but I;d be lying if I denied the fact that my sound is heavily influenced by, and my glory days were in, the 80'

I am seeking critiques on this. recording and track set up are done, Mix is still open.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Robo Nova!!!  I always liked this song, and this is a killer cover, Rob.  Kudos.  Mix-wise, I personally think the whole drum kit could be louder - especially the cymbals, and I would not have the descending harmonizing "melodic lead" guitars hard panned and spread to the far outside like they are.  I would leave the two spread meaty rhythm guitars out there, and bring the descending melodic lead guitars in at maybe 10 and 2 o'clock.  Just my personal preference.  Other than this and the drum kit level, I like the mix a lot and think it sounds great.

Good Stuff!

David

P.S.  Maybe up the bass a wee bit too.

P.P.S.  Did you wear a leopard-print outfit when working on this?  ;)

On 11/10/2018 at 20:35, HoboSage said:

P.P.S.  Did you wear a leopard-print outfit when working on this?  ;)

No, have to say I didn't, Dave...lol!

But man, you should have seen me back in the day...

• Haha 1

I used to jam the hell out of this song back in the day. I thought I was cool with my stereo system and liquid cooled speakers. 

Cool intro! Nice recreation there. Vocals sound good. Lead guitar is awesome! Best part of the song. Everything else sounds pretty good also. Rhythm guitar doesn’t sound very good to me. 

Otherwise enjoyed. 👍

4 hours ago, Onewholovesrock said:

Rhythm guitar doesn’t sound very good to me. 

Otherwise enjoyed. 👍

Ack! You're killing me!

Rhythm Guitars.... really? I played those parts. I will readily admit I'm not ready for a tour in Europe, but eliminate those tracks and half the reason to do the song is gone for me. I also programmed the drums, did the synth and piano parts, sang all the vocal tracks, and did the accent guitar parts. But the rhythm guitar parts are why I chose the song.

Can you be more specific? I've just redone the tone... took out a lot of the deep bottom so it doesn't "pound" on the down beat so much. I'm too far into this to redo the tracks. I want to wrap this and move on. But any mixing suggestion you think would help are welcome.

I updated the Soundcloud link above, One. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a quick listen. Don't know if you remember me, but I remember you.  I respect your playing and your music. I like your... very original... style...? (you often seem to jump genre barriers at will, so it;s hard sometimes to say what your "style" actually is)... very much.

Cheers.

At 7 seconds it makes a huge change in sound. It doesn’t sound right to me. I’d probably try cleaning that up. If you still want a change there make it less adrupt if possible. The first 30 seconds of the rhythm guitars sound f uped. Here’s the thing. I’m listening on my phone. Not the best source to offer up mixing advice. I’m just reporting what I hear from my phone. That being said, if it stands out on my phone it probably really stands out on better listening devices. After the first 30 seconds everything sounds better to me. I’m assuming this is a direct rhythm guitar recording. If so, could you try a guitar tone with slightly less distortion? Or is it to late for that? 

As of direct sound. The snare, high hat mix gets monotonous. Especially after repeatedly listening. Could you somehow make those parts sound a little less robotic and a little more human. It really stands out behind the killer real playing guitar solos. BTW. That lead guitar is fucking awesome. 

21 hours ago, Onewholovesrock said:

At 7 seconds it makes a huge change in sound.

That's intentional, One. Happens in the original too.

Came back to edit this... I am struggling with the accent lead lick in the opening riffs. Can't get the sound I want. I think that may be what sounds whacked to you. Sounds whacked to me too. I am in the process of cleaning it up and simplifying it. Already sounds better. However, I happen to like your playing, and I hear you like this song. Feel free to go to Kompoz, look me up, and load a lead fills/accent track up for the tune. You can even take a run at the solo if you want, One.

I can take some of the distortion out of the guitars. ALL settings on ALL tracks are FLOATING... other than physical edits, of which there are some, the original tracks remain untouched. As far as dialing back the distortion, I'll have to port the track to my phone before I make a decision.

The solos were provided by two lead axes that are friends/collaborators of mine. I'll pass along your compliments. I actually had several submissions for both the center and the outro solo... these were the two I went with. The center solo is by a guy who goes by the screen name Liljoesixstring, and the outro solo is by a friend of mine who used to post here as CapM. Don't know if he's been on here much lately.

The news that you are responding based on what you hear on a cell phone is helpful. That's not a playback device I have paid much attention to so far. I listen to the track on my laptop speakers, on our TV in the living room, and in mt car. I have a Cadillac STS with an 8 speaker Bose system. It sounds like buttah on that system.

The change at seven seconds stays, but I will consider your other remarks. Thanks for coming back and following up.

I kinda remember that intro change at 7 seconds on the original now that you mention it.

No wonder I loved the lead work. CapM is one of my favorite lead players around. We’ve collaborated a couple times. He shows up around here on the very rare occasion. 

Sorry, can’t help with any recording. I retired my Korg D3200 a few years back. I haven’t upgraded to anything else. I’ve been recording live takes of my latest songs via cellphone for years now. Haven’t even really played electric guitar in many years. My latest song is posted right here in the artist cafe. Check it out! 🤘