Sign in to follow this  
tunesmithth

One-Third of the World Is Still Pirating Music

"Innovations on the tech side of music haven’t done much to curtail its piracy problem, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). The organization, which represents the interests of recording industries around the globe, released its 2018 consumer insight report on Tuesday, finding that 38 percent of consumers are obtaining music through illegal means.

The most popular form of copyright infringement is stream-ripping (practiced by 32 percent of all consumers), followed by downloads through cyberlockers or P2P (23 percent) and obtainment via search engines (17 percent)"

Source article (Rolling Stone) - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/streaming-music-piracy-copyright-stealing-734293/

Tom

No figures on whether this is a drop in % compared to 5 or 10 years ago.  I think more people are streaming now than then, but are more paying for a premium streaming service?  What are Apple's numbers like between Apple Music subscriptions and iTunes sales?  For me, as an artist with music out there available to stream (or buy - haha), it sucks no matter which way I look at it.  iTunes sales - down, because of Apple Music subs, so I get fractions of a cent for streams instead of someone buying a song for $0.99 (less fees).

If someone rips a stream of one of my songs, then he won't stream it again - but even if we look at 10 songs (from an album) ripped this way, is that one user listening to each of them 10 times, total of 100 'plays'?  That's a dime out of my pocket.  Big deal.

Its the streaming services (the ones not collecting subscriptions because of 'pirating') that are the ones getting pissed about this!

• Thanks 1

All pertinent observations Mike, but I'm more of a big picture guy;)

38% of the world-wide consuming public is unwilling to pay for their music, even if that means obtaining it by illegal means.

For producers of musical content, that is NOT a good thing...no-way, no-how.

Regardless of its' effect on me, I find it beneficial to possess some knowledge about what's going on in the industry as a whole. 

Tom 

The public are an odd lot.   I remember Michael Moore saying that while the rolling stones were his favorite band he never owned an album or went to a concert.

But by the same token bootleg copies used to be the scourge of the industry as well.  In fact there is a long history of bootleg operations running inside of manufacturing as labels farmed out production work to independent operations.   It's never been a fair business for anyone.

I can't recall the last time I bought a CD.  I'd rather have my listening music stored locally and easily transferable between devices.   Rather than  pay for a streaming service.  The industry itself makes this impossible to do so legally.  

Edited by Tapper Mike
grammer, typo
  • Thanks 1

"38% of the world-wide consuming public is unwilling to pay for their music"

Yup.  It's not going to get better than that.  I offered copies of my new CD to a group of guys I meet with every week.  30+ guys.  1/2 price - $5, what a deal.  Sold 2 copies in 2 weeks.

I don't know anyone who subscribes (pays) for Spotify or Pandora (or youtube premium, or whatever other streaming services might be available).  There are more people I know who subscribe to XM/Sirius - for their cars, more for convenience than anything else.

I've said it before - most people buying CDs these days are musicians or are *superfans* of the artist(s).  Everyone else is content with streaming the occasional song/album, and turning down (maybe) the volume during the ads.

I still buy CDs - of the artists I really like, and from the local bands/songwriters I see playing.  I bought 4 CDs last week at a songwriter in the round show.  Ripped them to MP3 320K, and transfer them to a thumbdrive to listen to in my car (no CD player in it).

I've never bought a download song/album - ever.  I have ripped the audio of songs from online sources - typically to learn the song, but these days I mostly just hit youtube to find the song and replay it as needed.

• Thanks 1