ScenesFromPalacio

Listening to whole albums

Decided i'm gonna start listening FULLY to an album everyday & put them up here with some short reviews/impressions..Like most people nowadays i've unconsciously conditioned myself to have the attention span of a gnat, switching half-awake from one thing to the next online..I don't have the focus to meditate, but i miss the enjoyment of listening fully to whole albums for 40 odd minutes uninterrupted, totally focused on the music..My listening over the last 15 years has basically been endless home-made playlists cutting n scything through albums n artists..2 mins that track,30 seconds the next,skip the next etc, usually doing something else at the same time too..Fractured & spoilt by all-you-can-eat dining at the endless buffet of the whole history of music available anytime/anywhere to us

First album Pink Moon by Nick Drake...The 1st song i ever heard from him was "Things Behind The Sun" & like thousands of others instantly resonated with the timeless,hauntingly strange inner quality his music exudes.Intensely enjoyed the cool rock-song-in-a-ballad "Free Ride" driving thru the Cornish countryside from a playlist of my lovely friend Colette Degiovanni recently..Borrowed her Nick Drake biography book for the coach ride home & been reading it since -so Nick is definitely on my mind at the moment...Considering he wrote & recorded the album when he was very depressed, it feels strangely comforting intimate & reassuring, like having your worldly troubles soothed by talking to an old friend..
https://open.spotify.com/album/7KyvfoQhqlNLPNb98yY0pf

• Like 1

If you haven't seen this  I recommend you do. Beautiful and haunting.

I have a pretty large collection of music that is album based, so I listen to full albums fairly frequently.  Even though I've converted most of it to mp3 or similar format, I usually listen to them as an album.  I still have a cd player in my car so I listen to albums on cd as well.  When I decide to purchase new music, I almost always make a decision as to whether to purchase the album and I rarely think about purchasing just one song.  Maybe I am subconsciously questioning if the song will leave a lasting impression if other songs on the album are not also enjoyable.  "One hit wonder" used to be a not so flattering term for artists.  It probably still is, but it doesn't seem as relevant in this day and age.  There is something special to me about the flow of one song to the next in a particular order (there are so many albums embedded in the recesses of my brain that cause me to anticipate the next song) and I appreciate a recording artist's "vision" in making an album of songs. 

Quite honestly, I don't listen to music much at home anymore - usually only if I'm learning a (cover) song, or if someone posts something that looks interesting online somewhere.  I listen to music when driving, but my commute is less than 15 minutes.  Driving other local places, I will sometimes listen to a few songs from an album, but then its time to stop the car and do whatever chore it is.  The only time I listen to full albums is when I'm driving longer distances.  Sad but true.  This year I converted over 450 CDs to 320k MP3 and have them on a USB thumbdrive to listen in the car.  Not terribly convenient - paging through menus, because voice command seldom finds what I request - but the damn car didn't come with a CD player!