Mutrins

We're in Love, So...

Hey all! 

I've been working on a track and would love some feedback. It kind of came out of nowhere and turned into a sort of wedding/engagement/proposal/couples type of song. I imagine a flash mob happening? lol. Either way, would love to hear some thoughts. 

https://soundcloud.com/micky-shiloah/were-in-love-sodemo/s-d3t4y

Thanks so much!
Micky

Lyrics:
Every day's a holiday when I'm with you
Every day the sky is a perfect blue
Every day I thank my lucky stars
Cuz I don't know where I'd be without you

Probably unhappy somewhere all alone
Sitting on a park bench on my phone
Watching all the couples and thinking 
There's something missing in my life

But I am so glad I'm not dying by myself
Unless you go first, then I'm dying by myself
Yea but statistically speaking we've got some years left
So let's go be in love...

Chorus:
We're in love so you can touch my body now
And I can touch your body now
We can touch our bodies now

And if you feel like it
We can dance to the rhythm in the pale moonlight
Or we can catch a movie tonight
Or go to bed and call it a night

(we can do anything, cuz we're in love...)

I'd be really sad if we ever broke up
I couldn't come over and retrieve my stuff
You would be my Gotye 
And I would have my friends collect my records 
and then change my number

Cuz I can't imagine a life without you
I'd definitely be in a support group
Telling everybody 
I think there's something missing in my life

But I am so glad we're not dying all alone
I'll have my tombstone next to your tombstone
Cuz realistically we have a limited time here
So let's go be in love...

(Come on)

Chorus:
We're in love so you can eat as much as you wanna
I'll eat as much as I wanna
We'll go to the gym tomorrow

And if you feel like it
I would like it if we spend the rest of our lives
Giving kisses when we say good night
Even after a really big fight
Cuz we're in love...

We're in love so you can touch my body now
And I can touch your body now
We can touch our bodies now

And if you feel like it
We can dance to the rhythm in the pale moonlight
Or we can catch a movie tonight
Or go to bed and call it a night

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Mickey - just can't believe you're not signed with a major label yet.

Seriously what is wrong with this f'ing world?

Love this track - it's clever, it's fun, it's interesting.

The mix has lots of space, the vox are great as usual.

I'm really trying to find a nit - just can't.

Pitch it man - pitch!

Paul

• Thanks 1

Perfect pop song. :)

When I first heard the 1st chorus, I felt it like silly straight forward pop love song. but your 2nd chorus (changed version) omit my thoughts. hahaha..

The song's story also developed Nicely.

It's fun. Thumbs up.  

This should be on the radio...in a movie soundtrack...sung by high-school students at a high-school dance. Of its kind, it's top notch. Very nicely done.

Specifically, the part that hooks me and will be on repeat in my brain is...

You would be my Gotye 

"Friends collect my records and then change my number"...Damn catchy, sir...Damn catchy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/09/2018 at 18:36, PaulCanuck said:

Hey Mickey - just can't believe you're not signed with a major label yet.

Seriously what is wrong with this f'ing world?

Love this track - it's clever, it's fun, it's interesting.

The mix has lots of space, the vox are great as usual.

I'm really trying to find a nit - just can't.

Pitch it man - pitch!

Paul

Thank you so much, Paul!

I'm trying, I'm trying! haha :)

Thank you for listening!!

On 11/09/2018 at 08:03, Ashfi said:

Perfect pop song. :)

When I first heard the 1st chorus, I felt it like silly straight forward pop love song. but your 2nd chorus (changed version) omit my thoughts. hahaha..

The song's story also developed Nicely.

It's fun. Thumbs up.  

Lol I intended it for it to be a typical silly love song and then change it up a bit by surprise :)

Glad you like it! Thank you for listening! 

On 11/09/2018 at 08:14, discatticus said:

This should be on the radio...in a movie soundtrack...sung by high-school students at a high-school dance. Of its kind, it's top notch. Very nicely done.

Specifically, the part that hooks me and will be on repeat in my brain is...

You would be my Gotye 

"Friends collect my records and then change my number"...Damn catchy, sir...Damn catchy.

Thank you!!! 

That "friends collect my records and then change my number" line is taken from the Gotye song Somebody That I Used To Know. I just thought it could fit perfectly! 

So glad you like it :)

Very catchy, commercial and memorable. Strong light pop music. Can see it on an animated movie. Childlike, jolly and fun. Nicely produced, way beyond my production skills. Flows nicely. Good work! 

Micky,

This is really fun!  Charming lyrics. I can imagine the flash mob, too.  Such an innocent, sincere time capsule here.

Now, to get that melody out of my head.....!

😁Patty

This is some excellent work.  It's airplay ready!!!!  Great voice, great song and lyrics, great mix, you've got all the bases covered with this one.  It's hard to give suggestions to something that doesn't need anything.

Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

Micky Shiloah.  I knew him back before he was all over the radio.  Your vocals weaving in and out so smoothly is really quite impressive. The lyrics are quirky / catchy and with enough naïveté  to appeal to teens and twenties but clever enough to make us dinosaurs say  damn this guy is good!  The beat is hard to resist.  I don't know if a comparison to Bruno Mars is the right comparison but I think your talent would be hard for any producer to deny.  

Micky you have to get this heard. If you were a gofundme project I'd invest. This would be absolutely great as the closing tune on a movie soundtrack. People would stay through the credits just to see who it is.  Get yourself heard. 

• Like 2

Hi Micky

In the opening section where the piano is prominent  and it sounds like band in a box,the chord sequence felt a bit odd to me in a couple of places. 

Like the cadences felt almost jazz. This feeling disappears when the arrangement develops. So I don't know what's happening there.

The vocal arrangement is stellar

What is missing is an instrumental hook, and my feeling is that should start happening when you are washing the thing in layers and reverb towards the back end.

The lyric is beautifully fresh, I kind of like the concept of it doesn't matter if we get fat cause we've both already got someone and there's no need to impress kind

of ideas, to me that's aimed right at the right demographic and they will dig it big time.

The melodies are catchy and varied and predictable to some degree so that seems all good. 

If I put on my money hat I think this is good enough to go to a focus group of teens and twenties consumers.

Because I am not sure of a couple of things. And those things might be a huge plus with that audience, or they may be not,  and it's something a dinosaur can't really know.

One is the total absence of any really nasty synth patch. Nearly every record I hear other than pop ballads has something happening with a synth, and they seem to pick the most awful sounding inappropriate patches. That just grate on your ears. There is none of that here. But I am assuming because it's so prevalent that it is essential to top 20 at the moment. It would be nice if it wasn't.

The other thing is the naive arrangement at the beginning? a plus or a minus, to me it sounds a bit robotically naff, but it may be a huge fresh thing to the target audience.

The overall sound of the track seems to me to be quite different from what is out there now. It strikes me as a cross between current pop and the partridge family.

I am reasonably convinced that, that is a good thing. Because the absence of melody can only dominate the market for so long then it has to change. 

My feeling is if you possibly can is to ask someone who knows and has a proven market instinct to review it.

The issue being there are so many songs released every day now and about a hundred of them are pretty good. 

So the only way to get noticed is marketing and that's an investment, and like any product, you need to do your market tests before going ahead.

I also feel that this song has that instant thing about it, that is I can walk outside and sing the chorus melody having heard it three times. Or at least the hook part of it.

That means if it works,  it will work quickly but it will disappear very quickly as well, so that has implications for your body of work. It means there needs to be something else ready to release, when it's released, and it probably means it should not be a first release. The releases that proceed and follow it should not be so "instant".  So it's about strategy, past the song itself. 

The song is really nicely made. 

Cheers

Gary

• Like 2

Partridge Family?  You have to be           kidding yourself. 

On 12/09/2018 at 14:17, sumonicky said:

Very catchy, commercial and memorable. Strong light pop music. Can see it on an animated movie. Childlike, jolly and fun. Nicely produced, way beyond my production skills. Flows nicely. Good work! 

Thank you!! :)

On 12/09/2018 at 17:56, moptop said:

This is some excellent work.  It's airplay ready!!!!  Great voice, great song and lyrics, great mix, you've got all the bases covered with this one.  It's hard to give suggestions to something that doesn't need anything.

Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you so much!!! :) :)

On 12/09/2018 at 18:22, kuya said:

Micky Shiloah.  I knew him back before he was all over the radio.  Your vocals weaving in and out so smoothly is really quite impressive. The lyrics are quirky / catchy and with enough naïveté  to appeal to teens and twenties but clever enough to make us dinosaurs say  damn this guy is good!  The beat is hard to resist.  I don't know if a comparison to Bruno Mars is the right comparison but I think your talent would be hard for any producer to deny.  

Micky you have to get this heard. If you were a gofundme project I'd invest. This would be absolutely great as the closing tune on a movie soundtrack. People would stay through the credits just to see who it is.  Get yourself heard. 

Wow thank you so much!!! 

It's so hard to get noticed in this biz and get it in the right hands, but I'm trying to do that someway somehow ! I really appreciate your kind words :)

Micky

On 13/09/2018 at 13:42, Snabbu said:

Hi Micky

In the opening section where the piano is prominent  and it sounds like band in a box,the chord sequence felt a bit odd to me in a couple of places. 

Like the cadences felt almost jazz. This feeling disappears when the arrangement develops. So I don't know what's happening there.

The vocal arrangement is stellar

What is missing is an instrumental hook, and my feeling is that should start happening when you are washing the thing in layers and reverb towards the back end.

The lyric is beautifully fresh, I kind of like the concept of it doesn't matter if we get fat cause we've both already got someone and there's no need to impress kind

of ideas, to me that's aimed right at the right demographic and they will dig it big time.

The melodies are catchy and varied and predictable to some degree so that seems all good. 

If I put on my money hat I think this is good enough to go to a focus group of teens and twenties consumers.

Because I am not sure of a couple of things. And those things might be a huge plus with that audience, or they may be not,  and it's something a dinosaur can't really know.

One is the total absence of any really nasty synth patch. Nearly every record I hear other than pop ballads has something happening with a synth, and they seem to pick the most awful sounding inappropriate patches. That just grate on your ears. There is none of that here. But I am assuming because it's so prevalent that it is essential to top 20 at the moment. It would be nice if it wasn't.

The other thing is the naive arrangement at the beginning? a plus or a minus, to me it sounds a bit robotically naff, but it may be a huge fresh thing to the target audience.

The overall sound of the track seems to me to be quite different from what is out there now. It strikes me as a cross between current pop and the partridge family.

I am reasonably convinced that, that is a good thing. Because the absence of melody can only dominate the market for so long then it has to change. 

My feeling is if you possibly can is to ask someone who knows and has a proven market instinct to review it.

The issue being there are so many songs released every day now and about a hundred of them are pretty good. 

So the only way to get noticed is marketing and that's an investment, and like any product, you need to do your market tests before going ahead.

I also feel that this song has that instant thing about it, that is I can walk outside and sing the chorus melody having heard it three times. Or at least the hook part of it.

That means if it works,  it will work quickly but it will disappear very quickly as well, so that has implications for your body of work. It means there needs to be something else ready to release, when it's released, and it probably means it should not be a first release. The releases that proceed and follow it should not be so "instant".  So it's about strategy, past the song itself. 

The song is really nicely made. 

Cheers

Gary

Hey Gary!

Thank you so much for your thorough critique. You made a lot of valid points and those are definitely things to think about. I still want to go in and fiddle around with this one a bit and see what else I can pull out of it and perhaps make it a bit more fun and interesting. Will be back to review your notes!

Thanks again!

Micky

23 hours ago, kuya said:

@kuya lol i see where he is coming from it's all good!! 

On 14/09/2018 at 08:12, kuya said:

Ah no I was referring to the delayed doubles in the vocal in the chorus, I mean I could have said the acoustic guitars on my sweet lord or one of those girl groups produced by Phil Spector. Theres a wall of vocal there. Which is not typical of current records vocal production.

Not withstanding that it's my opinion which I will have and state without reference to you.

Cheers

Gary