Murphster

What makes this song great?

I have been going for a journey through YouTube today and as rarely happens, I stumbled across something interesting. A series by record producer Rick Beato where is deconstructs a song each episode and tries to work out what makes it great.

Dubious? Yeah, so was I going in. But I have to say it is pretty awesome as a learning aid, in fact it is a little better than awesome.

He started in January and there are 38 episodes to watch so far, I will post the first...

• Thanks 1

I've watched about a dozen of these now - I thing they are incredibly insightful as well as enlightening and provocative - at least to me. probably. This series should probably have been called "What makes this a great track?" though - Many songs, especially in the grunge and metal songs, that I am only superficially familiar with and so even more helpful. Thanks for putting this up.

I agree, it started of so great that song was the right word I think, the epioside 2 Police song especially focussing a lot on the chord progressions and melody. But yes, it does become more about the recording often.

I really enjoyed the Police one, Every little thing she does is magic, a surprising choice for ep2 but he is not wrong, it really is a brilliant song. At the risk of sounding old, nobody makes them like that anymore!

I did enjoy the Adele one too, seeing the actually pro-tools stems up on the screen was really interesting and a bit cool. 

Glad you liked it. 

I've also watched a bunch of these. The Steely Dan and Toto ones are my favorites. He can really play guitar. Does anyone know how he gets isolated tracks?

Chaz

Riffstation can do that to a certain extent.  Basically it's like an eq

So can Accusonus Regroover - but these tracks are full spectrum, they are the multitracks not EQ separated.

Plus he has tracks that didn't make it to the final mix. For example in "Every Breath You Take" there is the guide LV track with a lot of filler lyrics

On Kid Charlemagne, he has all the individual tracks, and I don't know of any way to filter out all of them. He has to have "inside" sources. He plays the Larry Carlton's solo to the note..wish I could

Yeah, he clearly has friends. He has worked in studios and no doubt made contacts with a lot of producers/engineers over the years that he can get things.

He will often point out that most of these were recorded into tape, so most have effects already on the track. 

It is pretty cool for me, I love the little details that he can pull out of a song, for instance a delay on a snare drum. It has been really interesting to just see how these tracks were built. I hope he keeps going with the series and keeps getting some useful material. 

I've watched maybe 30 out of the 40 so far and have learned a tremendous amount. Sometimes he has the multi-tracks, sometimes the stems and rarely just the stereo mix - like in the Larry Carlton/Steely Dan "Take me alive." What is really great to me is the way you can see/hear all these individual components - especially how a lot of the time you can see the notated music and lyrics/chords. Also it is very helpful that a lot of the time he is playing the parts. in some ways like listening to a piece (primarily orchestral) while looking at the score.

Digging in deeper, he has a YouTube Channel with a lot more than this series:  Rick Beato YouTube Channel

It may put some people off a bit that he gets so into music theory: "He is certified to teach grades K-12 and holds a bachelor’s in music from Ithaca College and a master’s in jazz studies from the New England Conservatory of Music." But I really appreciate it.

He has great "ears" and can figure things out very quickly and play and explain the salient features. Watching him while he listens and analyzes is in itself interesting. He now has a live stream where he review people's songs - again just fascinating to watch the process.

Again Murphster, I am eternally grateful for turning me onto this - I am getting a tremendous amount. It has notable influenced already a track I am in th eprocess of finishing.