OK, I think we are ready to get started! ¬†ūüėÄ

I've tried to account for most of the input participants have made in the earlier discussion in order to keep the challenge interesting, fun and provide enough time to spend on the project for those short on time.

TEAMS:

My children have randomly picked your names out of hats and paired a lyricist with a musician.  More lyricists than musicians expressed interest in this collaboration contest so two lyricists remain in the lyricist hat (actually 3, one graciously bowed out to provide other lyricists a shot).  If there are three additional musicians that come forward by August 31st 11:59 EST, I would be glad to randomly assign them to the remaining lyricists.

Here are the teams:

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†DinoRider and mick70
‚¶Ā¬†¬†¬† chazmataz and jonie
‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†One Who Loves Rock and Nuclear Winter
‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Scotto and graybeard
‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Oswlek and Tracysomebody
‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Murphster and SongWolfe
‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Fabkebab and Lyrical
‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Discattucus and Clemo
‚¶Ā¬† ¬† Neuroron and Joan

‚¶Ā¬† ¬† 9thStLine and Mr Distraction

If for any reason someone has to drop out, or you end up having creative differences that make it impossible to complete the project, I can try to randomly reassign partners, but please try your best to work together, get to know each other, learn from each other, and have a little fun!

THE CHALLENGE:  

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Your primary goal is to collaborate with your partner to create an original song that has strong emotional impact. ¬†Your peers will try to guess the emotion(s) you are trying to convey and how well you convey that emotion through your lyrics and music.

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†As you know, there are a number of emotions. ¬†Choose up to three of the following emotions that you would like to convey in your song: ¬†admiration, adoration, aesthetic appreciation, amusement, anger, anxiety, awe, awkwardness, boredom, calmness, confusion, contempt, craving, disappointment, disgust, empathic pain, entrancement, envy, excitement, fear, guilt, horror, interest, joy, nostalgia, pride, relief, romance, sadness, satisfaction, sexual desire, surprise, sympathy and triumph.

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Your goal is to "show" emotion, not "tell" emotion. ¬†Do not use the emotion word(s) that you have chosen for your song. ¬†Lyrics should avoid writing something like "I'm so happy, sad, mad, etc" and instead write something that exemplifies emotion either through story, metaphors, description or other measures.

‚¶Ā ¬†¬† Complete and submit your song by October 20th at 12 pm (noontime) EST on this thread. ¬†

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING YOUR SONG:

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†When you submit your song on this thread, also list a number (up to 3). ¬†This number tells the scorers how many emotions you are trying to convey in your song. ¬†Do not list the actual emotions you are trying to convey in your song, or your song will be disqualified. ¬†Private message me with the list of emotions you are trying to convey. ¬†I will keep them confidential until scoring is completed.

‚¶Ā ¬†¬† When you submit your song leave an audio link to the song and type out the lyrics.¬† No video submissions please.

SCORING:

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Non participants are highly encouraged to score the songs in this challenge, but must score all songs according to the rules that follow.

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†All scorers are encouraged (not required) to take notes on songs that can be used to help provide feedback to the other teams' songs after the scoring phase is completed.

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Each individual participating in this collab challenge must score all of your peers' songs. ¬†Your song will be disqualified if you or your partner do not participate in the scoring.

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Scorers will try to identify the emotions you are trying to convey and rate your team on how well you convey that emotion on a scale of 1 to 5. ¬†
     1 = emotion very weak, 2 = emotion weak, 3 = emotion somewhere in the middle, 4 =     emotion strong, 5= emotion very strong

This 1 to 5 rating should be based on the lyrics AND the music together.  You are judging both elements of the song as one complete package.  

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Songs with one emotion will have a base emotion score of 1. ¬†If you choose to convey 2 emotions, the 2 emotions will each have a base score of 0.51. ¬†If you choose to convey 3 emotions, each emotion will have a base score of 0.34. ¬†You will only receive credit for your base score if the scorer accurately guesses the emotion. ¬†Your base score will be multiplied by the scorer's emotional rating above. ¬†This gives a slight potential advantage for teams wanting to write a song expressing more than one emotion.

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Successfully selecting an emotion that isn't used by another team will result in your base score for that emotion doubling in value. ¬†This is for the risk takers among you and hopefully getting some of you to try your hand at more challenging emotions.¬†

Example 1:

Fabkebab incorrectly identifies the 1 emotion that Oswlek and Tracysomebody tried to convey (surprise) and mistakes it for awe.  He gives it an emotional score of 5.  Oswlek and Tracysomebody end up with 0 points from Fabkebab because we multiply 0 (base score) x 5 (rating of emotion).

Example 2:

Oswlek correctly identifies 2 of 3 emotions in DinoRider and mick70's song:  disappointment and guilt, but not horror.  No other team chose to write about guilt.  Oswlek gives each emotion score a rating of 4.  Oswlek's resulting score for DinoRider and mick70's song is disappointment (4 x .34) + guilt (4 x .68) + horror (4 x 0) = 1.36 + 2.72 + 0 =  4.08

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†I will total all the resulting scores to determine the most successful team, runner up, etc.

‚¶Ā¬†¬† ¬†Since the scoring is complicated enough already (and several of you say that emotional impact is THE most important criterion when you judge a song), I have decided to do away with the idea of each person entering an overall score for the song.¬† Those of you that want to discuss other aspects of the song during the discussion period after the scoring is complete are encouraged to do so.

VOTER CHALLENGE (updated on 8/29/18 and shown here in purple font)

At the urging of one of your peers, I have been asked to add a contest to this contest.  :huh:  I think it's a great idea, so I'm going to do it.  Here is how it works.  Scorers will be recognized (with points) for correctly identifying emotions.  One emotion songs are worth one point, two emotion songs are worth three points, and three emotion songs are worth 6 points.  For any song, if you do not guess the emotion(s) correctly you do not receive any points for that song.  If you guess only one emotion for any song you receive one point.  If you guess two emotions correctly for any two or three emotion songs you receive three points.  If you guess all three emotions correctly for a three emotion song you earn 6 points.  This challenge is separate and distinct from the collaboration challenge above, and applies to individual scorers.  In other words, for those of you participating on teams, these points will not be added to your team scores, they are scores for you as an individual and recognize your acumen for discerning emotions correctly.  Contestants and non-contestants alike receive scores.  For those of you that like games, you will probably like this idea.  For those of you that abhor games, you might be thinking why bother?  Don't worry non-gamers, I'm the one stuck doing all the freakin' math!  

I expect to give roughly a week's time for people to do their scoring.

I've tried to think of everything I could, but I won't be surprised if there are any questions.  PM me if you have questions.  I will clarify any challenge rules if warranted on this thread.

Good luck!  Feel free to PM your partner to get the process started whenever you are ready!

1. Nuclear Winter. I don’t think I’m familiar with you. Shoot me a message and introduce yourself. Thanks 

2. Scoring. What!? ūüėā

Oooh. Nice.

The last Collab contest produced "Footsteps in the snow". The best song I have ever heard by anyone on this site, co-written by my new partner! I reckon that has got to be a positive sign.

Looking forward to the challenge.

"Footsteps..." was a freakin' amazing tune. Loved it! 
Yeah, I saw that you guys got paired up. We're expecting some magical things from that corner! A new religion! 

No pressure... ūüėúūüôɬ†

Can we consider streamlining the scoring system? It seems to me a song is more effective for evoking strong emotions in the listener, than for getting the listener to correctly guess what emotions the song writer was trying to evoke. If you’re writing from shame and a scorer marks it down as guilt, it’s not the songs fault and it might still be an incredibly moving song lyric. 

41 minutes ago, Joan said:

Can we consider streamlining the scoring system? It¬†seems to me a song is more effective for evoking¬†strong emotions in the listener,¬†than for getting¬†the listener to correctly guess what emotions the song writer was trying to evoke. If you‚Äôre¬†writing from shame and a scorer marks¬†it down as guilt, it‚Äôs not the songs fault and it might still be an incredibly moving¬†song lyric.¬†ÔĽŅ

Hi Joan,

The scoring system was based on input from songwriters in the previous thread.  Based on that input, I surmised that it was the interest of the participants that spoke up to have a challenge that accounted for both 1) evoking a particular emotion as well as 2) the degree to which it evokes the emotion.  I concede that evoking a particular emotion in the long run may not be the typical songwriter's goal (I have heard a number of songwriters say that they don't necessarily care if listeners understand the songwriter's message as long as it moves the listener in some way), but the point of this challenge was an attempt to test and hone our technical skills and talents for evoking particular emotions.  I will gladly share the emotional ratings given to the songs, which can provide some insight on if the song was moving or not, regardless of whether the correct emotion was selected by the listener.  There will be no door prize for this contest.  It's just a bit of a game designed to help us grow as songwriters.  Like all contests, probably the most valuable insight and feedback will come in the discussion period after the scoring is completed.

-SOK

17 hours ago, Murphster said:

Oooh. Nice.

The last Collab contest produced "Footsteps in the snow". The best song I have ever heard by anyone on this site, co-written by my new partner! I reckon that has got to be a positive sign.

Looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks Murphster. Looking forward to working with you too. Should be great fun! 

Discattucus

Contact me 

Mike

21 hours ago, Short Order Kook said:

Hi Joan,

The scoring system was based on input from songwriters in the previous thread.  Based on that input, I surmised that it was the interest of the participants that spoke up to have a challenge that accounted for both 1) evoking a particular emotion as well as 2) the degree to which it evokes the emotion.  I concede that evoking a particular emotion in the long run may not be the typical songwriter's goal (I have heard a number of songwriters say that they don't necessarily care if listeners understand the songwriter's message as long as it moves the listener in some way), but the point of this challenge was an attempt to test and hone our technical skills and talents for evoking particular emotions.  I will gladly share the emotional ratings given to the songs, which can provide some insight on if the song was moving or not, regardless of whether the correct emotion was selected by the listener.  There will be no door prize for this contest.  It's just a bit of a game designed to help us grow as songwriters.  Like all contests, probably the most valuable insight and feedback will come in the discussion period after the scoring is completed.

-SOK

I think the brief of writing a song that conveys different emotions is quite cool. It's a different way of approaching a lyric, for me anyway, and I think that creative challenge will hopefully result in some interesting songs

On 28/08/2018 at 04:55, Moso said:

"Footsteps..." was a freakin' amazing tune. Loved it! 
Yeah, I saw that you guys got paired up. We're expecting some magical things from that corner! A new religion! 

No pressure... ūüėúūüôɬ†

Thanks Moso. 

Murphster and I have discovered we have a shared love of Arsenal Football Club. So our song will probably be about our Hope that Arsenal will have a better season, followed by Fear as we flirt with relegation, followed by Elation as we sensationally win the league.

(Or maybe we need another idea ...)

5 minutes ago, SongWolfe said:

Murphster and I have discovered we have a shared love of Arsenal Football Club. So our song will probably be about our Hope that Arsenal will have a better season, followed by Fear as we flirt with relegation, followed by Elation as we sensationally win the league.

(Or maybe we need another idea ...)

I give you one part LOL and one part SHHH...keep that contest info on the down-low, man! Shake and serve. ūüėõ¬†

7 hours ago, SongWolfe said:

Murphster and I have discovered we have a shared love of Arsenal Football Club.

If you are going for the sympathy vote, it didn't work.

That is rather sad , though :P

2 hours ago, Alistair S said:

That is rather sad

Indisputably.

New twist added to the contest...see the original post and look for the purple font.¬† Don't worry it doesn't add any more complexity to what you are already doing, it merely incentivizes scorers to pay close attention to the songs in the contest. ūüėÄ

Just to clarify things for my aging brain - We are NOT to score based on how well we like the song but only on 1) whether or not we can identify the emotions in a song and 2) how well they were conveyed? So even if I'm moved by a song, the songwriters get no points if I'm moved by an emotion/s that the songwriters didn't intend on me feeling?

I suppose, for those writing the lyric, a literal, rather than poetic presentation might work best if they are looking to score well in this contest.  Me, being one of those literal minded people who generally isn't moved by a song I can't understand.  

I think Moso and I are on the same page in that we are going to focus on creating the best song we can and hope that it moves the listener in some way. 

Yeah, my understanding is that we try to create a moving song, but we also have to try to make it so that the listener can ‚Äúget‚ÄĚ what emotion(s) we want to convey, without straight out telling them. It‚Äôs not unfair to assume that a more literal representation will work better, points-wise, as opposed to something more poetic, simply because people are different, if nothing else.¬†

The listener’s challenge is then to try to figure out the emotion that the songwriters want to convey. (And assign a score of how well they think it was conveyed.) And they have their own incentive to try to guess correctly, which also seems to help the songwriters because, as per the original instructions, if the listener doesn’t correctly guess the emotions of the songwriters, their vote gives the songwriters 0 pts. 

It all sounds pretty experimental, but pretty interesting. At the end of the day, however, yeah my rule is pretty much to just enjoy the process, try to write a good song, and not get too serious about it all. Unless the seriousness itself is enjoyable, as the song might dictate. :) 

We also have to remember that there is a specific list of emotions to draw from: 

On 27/08/2018 at 20:54, Short Order Kook said:

Choose up to three of the following emotions that you would like to convey in your song: ¬†admiration, adoration, aesthetic appreciation, amusement, anger, anxiety, awe, awkwardness, boredom, calmness, confusion, contempt, craving, disappointment, disgust, empathic pain, entrancement, envy, excitement, fear, guilt, horror, interest, joy, nostalgia, pride, relief, romance, sadness, satisfaction, sexual desire, surprise, sympathy and triumph.ÔĽŅ

Yeah, this will be interesting. Hey, kudos to SOK for coming up with something original, something different. At the end of the day, however, I think it would be best if we just try to write something that has meaning/emotion for us ourselves, and share it. Or, we can go a little more business-like and try to write something we think will have emotional appeal for the many, and consider pts received to sort of dictate how well that went. 

5 hours ago, jonie said:

Just to clarify things for my aging brain - We are NOT to score based on how well we like the song but only on 1) whether or not we can identify the emotions in a song and 2) how well they were conveyed? So even if I'm moved by a song, the songwriters get no points if I'm moved by an emotion/s that the songwriters didn't intend on me feeling?

Yes technically that is correct.  What you write here could turn into an interesting philosophical discussion, but I'd rather save those discussions for after the challenge, and simply ask you to "run with it" for now!

I suppose, for those writing the lyric, a literal, rather than poetic presentation might work best if they are looking to score well in this contest.  Me, being one of those literal minded people who generally isn't moved by a song I can't understand.  

Our brains all work a little differently, so literal might work better for some.  However, the limited list of emotions available for your use (noted above in Moso's post), the lyricists skills in crafting a lyric, and the musicians skills in creating an emotional mood/vibe do not make the scorers task for guessing an emotion a shot in the dark...at least that's my theory.  The list of the emotions, btw, were lifted from the Wikipedia entry cited in the earlier thread by neuoron, and they were identified by experts as a reasonably accurate representation of the range of emotions that humans have.  It is my understanding that they were selected because they were thought to reasonably stand on their own as having unique enough meaning that they won't be confused with the other words on the list.  Now, there are some words that are close like "fear" and "horror", but I expect there will be enough of a difference to distinguish the two, especially when given the song as a medium for creating hints and moods.

36 minutes ago, Short Order Kook said:

I'd rather save those discussions for after the challenge, and simply "run with it" for now!

Agreed. This is sort of uncharted territory, contest-wise, but we still know our love for collabs, so it's probably best to just run with this and then mull over the results afterwards. This could end up being a dud or a great success, we won't know until we give it a go. Either way, we'll have fun making some cool tunes together! 

36 minutes ago, Short Order Kook said:

The list of the emotions, btw, were lifted from the Wikipedia entry cited in the earlier thread by neuoron, and they were identified by experts as a reasonably accurate representation of the range of emotions that humans have.  It is my understanding that they were selected because they were thought to reasonably stand on their own as having unique enough meaning that they won't be confused with the other words on the list.  Now, there are some words that are close like "fear" and "horror", but I expect there will be enough of a difference to distinguish the two, especially when given the song as a medium for creating hints and moods.

Ah.... okay. Cool! 

A list of emotions that doesn't include love and grief? How odd. Though I'm fine with that. Songs about love and grief have been overdone. 

I was just looking for clarification, SOK. This scoring method goes against the grain, so to speak, which is not a bad thing, just a different thing. If this works, I can see more opportunities for scoring not simply based on personal taste but on certain well defined aspects of a challenge. The whole idea of it is really growing on me. 

8 minutes ago, jonie said:

If this works, I can see more opportunities for scoring not simply based on personal taste but on certain well defined aspects of a challenge. The whole idea of it is really growing on me. 

We were really trying to do this with the instrumentals contests, but there simply weren't enough entrants, especially after the web port. Actually, I think Murphster is also talking about doing these types of challenges more, or adding them to existing contests. As others pointed out, it would seem to be essentially a cross between the traditional contests and the "Creativity Games & Challenges" section. 

I'm all in favour of glorious experiments! They may work out fantastically. They may fail dramatically. Either works and we can learn from both. And any failure is only ever "initial", anyway. 

Let's go with it, wholeheartedly! What's the worst thing that could happen? 9 new songs will be find an audience - 9 new songs that may never otherwise have seen the light of day. 9 new connections will be made. 18 people will have the joy of creating something in partnership with someone else!

Thank you, SOK!

Actually the Wikipedia article I cited referenced several different emotion categorizations - the point being that there was no universal classification.

I too had a bit of a negative take on the list that was finally used, but in the end finally decided it was fine.

My feelings are that (as Alistair alluded to) we write a song that wouldn't have otherwise existed that has a strong emotional response in the listener, however they happen to label it.

It's of course a nice warm feeling in the belly when you score well in these contests, but that's not something to invest any emotion in :) 

16 hours ago, Short Order Kook said:

it doesn't add any more complexity

Oh yes it bloody-well does!!!

Hi folks,

I'll be the first to admit that this could be an absolute failure!  Thanks for keeping an open mind and giving it a try!

Neuroron, FWIW, I did understand the purpose of your previous post.  I wanted to give you credit for bringing those categorizations to our attention.  The list I used was a "happy" medium...some of the other categorizations seemed too short or too long or too complicated...BTW, for you musicians out there, I think the other neuroron post that he gave had lots of great musical ideas of how to experiment in showing emotion.  The section on "structural features" I found particularly helpful and I think, applicable to this contest.  I'll repost that here in case you missed it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_emotion#Structural_features

Lazz, WTF do you care?!!!¬† Stirring up trouble as usual I see!¬† ūüėČ

3 hours ago, Alistair S said:

I'm all in favour of glorious experiments! They may work out fantastically. They may fail dramatically. Either works and we can learn from both. And any failure is only ever "initial", anyway. 

Let's go with it, wholeheartedly! What's the worst thing that could happen? 9 new songs will be find an audience - 9 new songs that may never otherwise have seen the light of day. 9 new connections will be made. 18 people will have the joy of creating something in partnership with someone else!

Thank you, SOK!

I agree with this. The process of collaborating should be fun and the evidence from the last collab contest suggests that there will be a whole lot of great songs created. Hopefully everyone will come away feeling they are a winner no matter how the final voting works out

I was in the room recently while someone was watching one of those competitive cooking shows. You know the kind... they take normal people that love to cook and turn that love of cooking into the 3rd circle of hell on earth torturing the poor people with impossible challenges and timelines, crushing their spirit right before your very eyes. Makes for great TV I guess... 

They had a cooking challenge going where the cooks had to meet certain conditions. Not unlike what we are doing here (minus the soul crushing of course). The best dish didn't win that day because said contestant ignored the challenge. They did not meet the criteria though the judges commented it was absolutely delicious. For ignoring the challenge the poor soul was on the bottom and had to face some sort of impossible elimination face off challenge gauntlet in order to stay in the competition.

Minus the stress in the scenario above I can see that happening to us. A good song might get knocked down if we don't quite get the emotions they were shooting for. One could argue that all songs should come from an emotional premise anyway and the best songs will connect with their emotions. Good experiment.

Also in one of the collab contests a while back, the international one, I finished last with what most folks felt was a good song. Mainly because I had trouble connecting with the contests requirement to have the musical style match the country of your subject choice. So judging to the contests rules isn't a new idea. It just tends to happen more naturally I think. 

43 minutes ago, Scotto said:

(minusÔĽŅ the soul crushing of ÔĽŅcourseÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅ)

You sure?

Just a quick reminder that it is not too late for musicians to join this collaboration challenge.  We've got one lyricist on deck, one in the hole and one on the bench ready to go to bat!  PM me or post here before midnight EST and you're in!  Join the party!

1 hour ago, Scotto said:

had to meet certain conditions

As a long-standing follower of Oulipo, I think of those type of conditions as constraints, and have learned to deeply respect them as creative strategies which can generate unexpected solutions that we may otherwise have never discovered.

(Although I have meagre respect for Wikipedia - their Oulipo entry is a quite acceptable brief intro)

Over a drunken supper one night, for example, the late George Perec boasted that he could write an entire novel without ever using the letter "e".   And the bugger did, too!  ("La Disparition" - english translation published as "A Void")   

Constraints are employed as a means of triggering ideas and inspiration.

(I am wearing mine as I type)

It's a very useful song-writing approach, too.

Can't wait to see/hear what everyone comes up with.

(But those voting guidelines still look to be a wee bit burdensome)

2 hours ago, Oswlek said:

You sure?

Well at least not until the reveal phase and I realize how bad mine sounds next to everyone's creations... 

On 31/08/2018 at 18:53, Lazz said:

(But those voting guidelines still look to be a wee bit burdensome)

Bleh, dig your pluck out of those mothballs, old chum.

Haven't found any decent pluck for a couple of years now.

But I shall still be looking for emotional nuance.

Whereas your elegant self may justifiably bemoan the absence of love and grief, my own expatriate English taste is for the subtler distinctions of annoyance, irritation, mild disdain, indifference, suspicion, resolve, superciliousness, hauteur sanctimony, contempt... - you know - all the deep-seated traditional British values with which you may no doubt by now have become deeply familiar.

We may indeed deign to vote.

Mothballs?  Moth-balls?

Who've you been talking to?

This is fake news - vile rumour - cheap gossip - and completely unsubstantiated

Your people shall be hearing from my people.

I'm very pleased to announce that @9thStLine and @Mr Distraction have joined us in this collab contest.  Welcome gentlemen!

If any of the other teams have had trouble connecting with each other, please let me know.  PM me.

Having great fun with this contest! Hope others are too? :)

We have been having fun - We are already have our first song, but given the deadline being so far in the future, we are working on at least one more.  Its been a good prod to get some new music made!

I got my first batch of lyrics tonight and I'm excited to get some music flowing. Gong to be a totally different direction for me. What a great challenge. 

Tracy has written a ton of great material.  Usually that's enough to get me rolling, but for some reason I'm struggling to pare everything down into my typical minimalist musical piece, so she's taking a crack at it now.  Having the music, melody and lyric material already squared away isn't too bad a place to be.  :)

Sounds like some good progress being made. :)

Murphster and I are also kicking around a few song ideas. And the emotions aspect to the content is making us think from both a lyrics and music perspective, which is cool

It's interesting. SongWolfe has provided some lyrics that have been challenging, even forced me to write to the feelings rather than the sounds of the words. Which I guess is the point of this contest. 

Although the one that is first off the block is rapidly turning into a piece of Prog Rock! Quite a departure for me at least, but I like the idea of finally putting my early Pink Floyd influences to good use.

It's fun. And as always very difficult, and a bit stressful, taking someone's work and messing with it. I have returned the favour however, and it is clear the branches of our collaboration may yield more fruit yet. 

Glad to see folks are having some fun with this. 

I have an announcement/update.  Moso informed me that he needed to drop out due to other obligations.  I randomly selected a replacement musician to work with Jonie (in this case Chazmataz), and he has agreed to give it a try.  Welcome Chaz!

Poor Moso, seriously and I guess unexpectedly bogged down with the 1st semester of a grueling academic course.  I don't envy him. I let him off without a whimper, knowing from experience how hard it can be. 

Looking forward to collaborating with chaz, if we can make it happen.  Looking forward to some great songs to come out of this as well. 

On 12/09/2018 at 12:24, jonie said:

Poor Moso, seriously and I guess unexpectedly¬†bogged down with the 1sÔĽŅt semester of a grueling academic course.

Ah, the weight of nuance.

Only mothers can do that.

Impressive.

Ron and I have a pretty advanced draft at this point. The song is all but completely written and the rest is Ron working his arrangement magic. I think my voice will be on the final providing harmony, and I’m working on a solo version for performing. Ron is Aces!

I haven’t received anything yet from my partner Nuclear Winter. Hopefully soon! 

So we have what I now consider to be a final demo I guess, but am in that stage where I think I have worked on this song for a day too long and need to stop listening to it for a while.

It is absolutely the most amount of tracks I have ever put into a song, and been quite an experience keeping a handle on it all at times.

SongWolfe has given me some awsome lyrics, and while I wasn't sure at first, they have really grown on me through the writing and recording of this. A great sign and I think a pretty decent song to be honest, but who knows? It's hard to tell at this stage.

We have a couple of other ideas on the go, so time to have a look at those now I think. 

Great so far! 

On 12/09/2018 at 14:24, jonie said:

Poor Moso, seriously and I guess unexpectedly bogged down with the 1st semester of a grueling academic course.  I don't envy him. I let him off without a whimper, knowing from experience how hard it can be. 

Yeah, I originally commented here pre-contest that I believed I would be too busy and couldn't join, but then later came back and joined anyway. My thinking at the time was that I haven't been giving music any attention and for the sake of health, should try to keep writing. But... yeah that just didn't work out. 

I'm in the second semester of an accelerated/intensive program, and was warned that this semester is particularly busy, so foolish me. But what's surprised me is how incredibly disorganized the semester is. I literally had one clinical that gave me three different sets of instructions, including where the clinical site was. Then when I finally got to the site, I was given a new and fourth set of directions. I have about 4 overlapping calendars that are all "in progress", so you never really know what's coming, except that every week, they keep assigning more projects and certifications, etc. Which in my opinion are all a waste of time, but you have to do them to pass. This semester includes pharmacology, and in psych we're also diving into psychopharmacology, and while some of it is fairly straightforward, memorizing it all (which you have to do, it's really just straight memorization) is incredibly time-consuming. These projects etc. just take valuable time away that we need to be putting towards the real, core material to learn. Not only do we have standard class exams to take, but in this program we are required to sit national exams every semester as well, and if you don't ace the national exams, they dock your final course grade, up to 15% if you get what is essentially a C on a national exam. 

(EDIT: To put it in another perspective, we've already had a cohort member have a breakdown. That was at the end of last semester. This semester's harder.) 

Anyway, I could ramble on about the classes and professors, but what was happening is that on the weekends I was trying to block off time for working on music with Jonie, but every time, I would run through ideas and end up scrapping them. None were any good, and I always had my mind wandering back to exams and school work. So in the end, I apologized to Jonie and told her I would ask SOK to give us a heads up if he knew another musician looking for a lyricist. Luckily, it appears there was one already waiting. 

So, sorry guys. :( I should have followed my first instinct that I would be too busy instead of wasting people's time. But I know it will all work out. You guys are talented, you all kick butt, and I very much look forward to hearing what you come up with! 

Update: Graybeard has given me a lot of lyrics to ponder and I've finally picked one out that I think will meet the challenge quite nicely. We've assigned our emotions from the list and I am ready to start moving forward on song construction. With emotions in mind I hope to inject some of that musically (great challenge to force me to think about it this way/I should of been thinking of it this way).  

Interesting that of the lyrics he gave me, it wasn't my favorite lyric. The best one was a little more abstract emotionally. Or more complex and had emotions not listed. The one I picked seemed to line up the best to listed emotions. I suppose we are moving fairly slowly but given the October 20th deadline I have no problem with that and this lyric is music ready. The cadence is steady and I can hear it with minimal changes. 

Plus my day job that pays the bills currently hates me... :P 

Plenty of time and I have no doubts about getting finished product out there where there was none.  

Note: Already as a lessons learned I could see adding a step to song construction where I assign simple emotions to the lyric and then try and accentuate that musically.  

Just to clarify I try to think of Prosody but this could be a little more than that. A bigger emotional element to enhance prosody...