Sign in to follow this  
Short Order Kook

New Collaboration Contest: Emotional Impact

I recently sent @discatticus this short clip showing a man tear up to a Townes Van Zandt song, it got me to thinking, what about a song challenge where the goal of the song is emotional impact? 

In the "How to Review Lyrics" thread there is a list of criteria that are suggested to judge a song including emotional impact.

It says:  "Emotional Impact: Does it move you, draw you in, pull on your heartstrings, make you laugh, cry, think, react? Does it entertain you? Is it believable?"

Would anyone be interested in doing a "songs with emotional impact" challenge...essentially scoring a song and providing critiques on the criterion above, and then maybe a second score for the overall composition?  It might be an interesting exercise to get the creative juices flowing?  I would be willing to host such a challenge.  Maybe it could be another collab contest as well?  Let me know if you are interested.

Absolutely.

I am in - either musician or lyricist - mild preference for musician

I've gotten the sense that a lot of folks here find collaborations to be fun--both socially and as a fun challenge.  And it gives the many lyricists on this site the chance to take their songs to the next level.  I did not participate in the last collaboration contest, but I followed it and it seemed like most everyone found the experience enjoyable and satisfying.  I'm willing to host it either as a collaboration contest or a free for all.   I think it depends on the interest more than anything else.  I'll wait to see if there are any other interested parties.  Seems like we would need at least 5-6 entries/teams to make it worthwhile?  Maybe give people a month or so in case they have other projects in the fire.  What do you think? 

If there's a collaboration element to it then I'd love to take part.

If you're short a lyricist, I'd be willing

Ok, everyone that has responded so far, I'm more than happy to host a challenge if you want to move forward with it, but as you can see there isn't overwhelming interest!  Let me know.  If nothing else, maybe you found some people that would be interested in collaborating?

I'd say just be patient. There will be more interest. 

always in for a collaboration (musician)

It's peak holiday time right now, so it may be worth waiting a couple of weeks as people return.

I’m usually down for a Collaboration contest if my partner doesn’t mind finishing at the bottom of the heap. 😏 

lol ditto

Seriously, if they don't care about score and just want to have fun, these things are great! 
Unfortunately I only have one week to work on music. 

Ok, to summarize, we have 7 musicians and 2 lyricists.  Great opportunity for lyricists! 

Musicians

@discatticus

@fabkebab

@Murphster

@neuroron

@Scotto

@Onewholovesrock

@Moso

Lyricists

@SongWolfe

@kuya

EDIT:  I plan to leave "sign up" open until August 26th as I will be going on vacation next week.  That should give plenty of time for folks on holiday to check in and join if they want to.  In the meantime, feel free to reach out to each other on the list above or any other entrants that join up through August 26th if you want to start on your song.  I was thinking to give a month for a collaboration to work itself out...tentatively shooting for September 29th as a submission deadline.  If anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.

I would really love to participate as these are some of the best things on the Muse. It's loads of fun collab'ing with you guys and then going over each other's work! But.... yeah, in exactly one week I expect to be too busy to contribute much. That would likely end up being a big disappointment to my partner. And we have too many musicians anyway. 

But I'm looking forward to hearing the results! 

I can do lyrics.

I'm in as lyricist.