Sign in to follow this  
Mike B

Twelve Monkeys

Been scribbling this one around for a couple of weeks, No hook/title in what I was writing, based mostly on the no-ended tv show.  Think that the 'story' will lend itself to a more 'spacey' progressive rock style than is typical for me.

Twelve Monkeys

A1

Plague and destruction

Death and disease all around

A puzzling clue

That a solution can be found

Paradox and confusion

Is time an enemy or friend

Is it the end of the beginning

Or the beginning of the end?

A2

Desperate times

Require desperate measures

Serpent and demon

Hunting for the same treasure

Flames and failure

Must start all over again

Is it the end of the beginning

Or the beginning of the end?

B

Time passes as its meant to

The army is getting near

Time splinters past and present

Changing what we hold dear

C

Tomorrow we may enter

The forest of red

But only yesterday

We knew we might be dead

Outro

All that matters is now

Happily ever now

• Like 1

Just FYI, "Twelve Monkeys" was a challenge title over at songfight.org in 2004.  Not saying you (or SyFy) borrowed this from there or anything (looks like the original short story goes back to the early sixties), but if you'd like to hear what some other people did musically with the title,

http://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?key=twelve_monkeys

I was in as "King Arthur" that week, came in tied for dead last, I think...

I’m not familiar with 12 Monkeys. 

But even so I think this is a really cool lyric. Definitely rock genre’. I can’t think of anything for improvement. Definitely a keeper! 

Good stuff! 

JOe

12 minutes ago, Onewholovesrock said:

I’m not familiar with 12 Monkeys. 

But even so I think this is a really cool lyric. Definitely rock genre’. I can’t think of anything for improvement. Definitely a keeper! 

Good stuff! 

JOe

Thanks, JOe.

It was a movie with Bruce Willis to start out with.  Then a few years ago the tv producers took the basic premise and went with their own developed story.  4 seasons of shows, just ended on Sy-fy channel.  Kind of dragged in season 2 in places, but season 4 was well done and the 3 hour season finale was one of the most well-done finales I can remember.

5 hours ago, Charles Wolff said:

Just FYI, "Twelve Monkeys" was a challenge title over at songfight.org in 2004.  Not saying you (or SyFy) borrowed this from there or anything (looks like the original short story goes back to the early sixties), but if you'd like to hear what some other people did musically with the title,

http://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?key=twelve_monkeys

I was in as "King Arthur" that week, came in tied for dead last, I think...

The Willis movie came out in 1995.   Luckily, titles aren't copywritable/protected!  Not sure I want to listen to others' interpretations of this, might influence me.

Hi Mike

I like it being called 12 monkeys. And it matters not if theres been a stage play, a musical drama, or a brand of peanut butter called that before, all that matters in that regard is is it "old hat" which it isn't.

I like it being call 12 monkeys because when I get to line 3 verse one I get a slight smile, aha! Monkey puzzle.

So I immediately look at the same place in verse two looking for nuts or around or even Micky Dolenze and Peter Tork but it's not there, cause it don't fit with the story I guess.  So I don't know if it's just my weird sense of humour but it's like a secret embedded joke.

Because of the structure being quite non standard I think this has to be prog rock to work.

I really like the twisted cliche at the end, it's cool in a Jim Steinman sort of way.

This is not really fresh and crisp

"Is it the end of the beginning

Or the beginning of the end?"

But it's not old and stale limp lettuce either and in the context of what goes before it I think it works well in this setting.

This is one of those that there is enough wriggle room to put your own interpretation as to meaning, like sub plots.

I mean I just got out of bed because I couldn't sleep I had the radio on and it was so depressing that I switched it off and got up and had coffee and cigarettes.

But as an example they were talking about the massive change to your life when something happens to your partner and you have to become a carer, specifically

one guy was talking about Motor Neurone Disease, so this morning this could be about that if you wanted it too be. So for me that's a big plus.

Look forward to the music.

I'm kind of happy now that, by lyric post you have now put yourself in the same position as me, that is having to come up with something interesting and progressively out there 

to make the lyric shine.  It's always better when you know someone else is suffering too. 😀

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for your take on it, Gary.   I realize that not everyone knows what '12 Monkeys' is or was about, and honestly I didn't have a title for it until I typed it up and had to choose something!  Going to be awhile for nay music for this, usual busy summer excuse.

I love the series better than the movie and I like lyrics though I am wondering if they are desperate enough compared to the plot and I am questioning the last two lines of c  and the happily ever now  I get what you’re saying but it doesn’t feel right

On 08/08/2018 at 06:05, Mike B said:

But only the yesterday

We knew we might be dead

Outro

All that matters is now

Happily ever now

Hi Mick did you see the finale?  If not don't read any further! 

The outro lines are what Cole said in the voiceover at the very end

Not looking ........ Netflix aus is always a season behind  so fair enough thAt probably explains why the end don’t make sense to me

You're going to love the final season!