RealKevM

'How Did You Know' (Live at Jaz Bar, Hull, UK)

Hi this is a video of me playing live last Sunday, i'm new to it, maybe done about 12 or so gigs. Please let me know what you think and offer any advice :)

https://youtu.be/U3hDff-WQKg

The link you posted isn't clickable Kev...here's a ready-to-view version, should make it a little easier for folks to access. :)

Ah brilliant, thank you so much!

Honestly?  I think it needs work.  Your vocals are pretty off key and the words are hard to understand.  The song and the performance could really use some dynamics.  My next comment is a personal taste thing, so take no offence.  You could present yourself better.  The jeans/tee shirt/backward hat thing is a little sloppy (remember, just my opinion). You don't have to wear a tux, but a little style goes a long way.

Hi Neal thanks for watching and replying. I do normally dress less casual for performances but thought i'd try a more casual style, my music is indie rock so I think it fits but point noted.

Yeah my voice isn't the best but i'm improving slowly, you should have heard me a year ago lol (or maybe not!)

Thank you once again.

Couldn't tell if you were nervous, which is a great start.  Also you weren't reading the lyrics which I think is important for an open mic performance.  I think I've pointed out that you sing off key from time to time before, but I agree with you that it appears you are improving.  Still you've got a ways to go.  Enunciating the lyrics is really important and I think you need to work on that as well.  You had some dynamics put in the song, but I agree with Neal's post above that more dynamics with the guitar will be important, particularly if you have trouble changing things up with the vocal.  I find that playing in duos or trios at open mics is a good experience, not only because you learn to play with someone else, but because it's easier to create song dynamics and keep the audiences attention.  If you have an opportunity to do that, I would suggest giving it a try.

Thanks man, that's a great idea about playing with others. Thanks for taking the tme to have a watch and it's encouraging you can hear a bit of an improvment in my voice but yeah a way to go yet loli