Hi, folks,

Three of us worked on this song. Here are the credits if you want the details. We had a good time with it. Let us know what you think.

Joey McMichael: Composition, Lead Vocals, Organ, Drum Track programming

Dominick Giarraputo: Producer, Recording Engineer, Bass, 12-string Acoustic Guitar, Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals

Patty Lakamp: Lyrics

Today is Everything

Patty Lakamp © Copyright 2018

On his porch, drinkin’ with my old friend

He’s gettin’ on and talkin’ ’bout what’s round the bend

He said I dunno if I’m a believer

It’s all a mystery to me

Can’t say if there’s somethin’ else when my life is through

But I’ve lived long enough to know this much is true

Ch1

Today is everything, maybe the only thing

We can’t ever know what tomorrow brings

A moment in time that’ll soon be yesterday

Today is everything

Walkin home, thinkin’ ’bout the things he said

My younger days, a movie runnin’ through my head

Recalled the time I thought I’d be famous

Make my mark in the world

But even the deepest footprints get washed away

They all disappear in the sands of yesterday

Ch2

But this day is ours till it packs up, goes on its way

Today is everything

When life is good, the hours go by too fast

You turn around and all the fun is in the past

Then there’re the days that aren’t satisfyin’

They take forever to end

For a man like me, it really doesn’t make much sense

But no matter what the day, it never comes around again

Ch1

A moment in time that’ll soon be yesterday

Today is everything

Today is everything

Today is everything

• Like 1

Hi, Patty, Joey & Dominick

Sounds great! I like it!  Lyrics, music & vocals all work together very nicely.  Catchy too.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations with Today is Everything. There's a lot of truth in that title.  

Cheers

Carl

• Like 1

This arrangement highlights the best lines in the lyric. Better than I imagined in my mind. Congrats to the team!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spanishbuddha said:

Hi, Patty, Joey & Dominick

Sounds great! I like it!  Lyrics, music & vocals all work together very nicely.  Catchy too.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations with Today is Everything. There's a lot of truth in that title.  

Cheers

Carl

Thanks Carl,

I really enjoyed working with Patty and Dominick on a song I feel right at home with at my age. We had allot of fun putting it together. I'm glad you like it, and really appreciate your listening and commenting.

Joey

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A Musical Key said:

This arrangement highlights the best lines in the lyric. Better than I imagined in my mind. Congrats to the team!

Thanks so much!

It was really fun working with Patty on rendering her writing. In addition to creating an excellent lyric, she had allot of good ideas on the melody structure, especially the change up in V3. And Dominick did such a wonderful job on the instruments and production. It was luxurious to have so much of the music and the entire lyric handled by two very talented friends. I'm so pleased with the result, and I'm glad you got to hear the lyric with its melody. I appreciate your taking the time to listen and give your thoughts.

Joey

My sentiments exactly!  "A moment in time that'll soon be yesterday"  that's a great line.  Nice guitar fills here too Joey.  Your vocal vibrato is good but there are a few places where I'd dial it back just a hair, but that's just nit pickin, as it's real nice!

• Like 1

Wow sounds really good. Can I ask you what recording system are you using? It's really good quality and I'm looking for a new one..... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoadDog said:

My sentiments exactly!  "A moment in time that'll soon be yesterday"  that's a great line.  Nice guitar fills here too Joey.  Your vocal vibrato is good but there are a few places where I'd dial it back just a hair, but that's just nit pickin, as it's real nice!

Thanks. I love "nit pickin"....cuz that's how I make improvements. Yes, that line is easy to relate too. And the older I get, the faster it becomes yesterday. Patty wrote the lyric, and I'll pass that along to her. And, Dominick created those nice fills for us. I love the way he can do that in just the right spots. I appreciate your listening and your input. Very helpful and encouraging. 😊

Joey

1 hour ago, Tjpinkgurl said:

Wow sounds really good. Can I ask you what recording system are you using? It's really good quality and I'm looking for a new one..... 

Thanks so much for listening. I really enjoyed listening to you too!

My friend, Dominick, did allot of the recording and the entire mix-down on his system. But the DAW we both use is Cubase. It's excellent, and you can get a version of it for not too much money. The full blown program is a little expensive....and not really necessary for good results. There are tutorial videos online that will give you an idea how it works. But there are also other recording programs that may be good for your application. I haven't used any of them, but some may be a little less complicated than Cubase. I'm sure you can Google digital recording software to learn about them on Google and decide what seems right for you. But, you can't go wrong with Cubase if you're after excellence, power and versatility.

Keep up the good work. I like your style and sensitivity!

So glad I decide to go digging through the older post because I would have missed this Gem if I hadn't. Wonderful song.

• Like 1

Hey Joey, Patty & Dominick

Really nice song and good production.  "Today is everything" catches you!  Great vocal performance - very expressive!  Guitar fills are devine!  Love this lyric "But even the deepest footprints get washed away, They all disappear in the sands of yesterday".

Some critique (please take it as positive):

- I would look through lyrics and look for ways to remove as many word and syllabals s as possible - makes the words easier to understand - some examples:

For a man like me, it really doesn’t make much sense - For a man like me, really don't make much sense

He’s gettin’ on and talkin’ ’bout what’s round the bend - He’s gettin’ on talkin’ ’bout what’s round the bend

- But don't change the chorus - it is perfect

- I would bring the bass up a but more in the mix or EQ more low end.  Other than that the balance is really good.

• Like 1

Hi boys and girl

I commented on this privately yesterday, mostly in regard to the vocal processing, so I won't go into that here. 

I just wanted to say nice work, and there is a thing about it that your having a lot of fun, and making the song the best it can be.

Which I admire. 

So today I'm just listening, as opposed to critical listening which is a totally different thing.

And I'm enjoying the song.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Very catchy country song here guys well done!

Great lyrics through out.

Excellent opening into the song - really gets straight in there and catches the ear.

Vocals are expressive and clear - really suit the song well.

Guitar lead runs are great - really complemented the vocal melody well. 

Not sure about that 4-note bass run down at the end of the chorus - seemed a bit too predictable and 'easy' and got a bit wearing

for me on multiple listens. Maybe worth trying some variations to keep the listeners ears 'off-balance'...

Just wondering about the verse to chorus transition on the percussion - there is a little fill but to give greater contrast going into

the chorus it may be worth exploring a short pause/interruption in the drums to herald the coming chorus.

In the chorus I though there was an opportunity in the second line to really 'milk' the melody/expression on "know" (sung on a "B")_with a small

melisma change to "Kno-ow" where the second part of "Know" is sung a semi-tone higher on a "C" - just a though - the melody is good but that kind

of thing (here and maybe some other key expressive places as well) could really make it sparkle!

Really enjoyed the listen - excellent job all round! :)  :)

Andy

• Like 1

On 05/08/2018 at 07:58, The Nameless Untold said:

So glad I decide to go digging through the older post because I would have missed this Gem if I hadn't. Wonderful song.

Thanks for finding our song and taking the time to listen! I'm really pleased that you like it. It was allot of fun working this up with Patty and Dominick. 

Much appreciated!

Joey

22 hours ago, jonlint said:

Really nice song and good production.  "Today is everything" catches you!  Great vocal performance - very expressive!  Guitar fills are devine!  Love this lyric "But even the deepest footprints get washed away, They all disappear in the sands of yesterday".

- I would look through lyrics and look for ways to remove as many word and syllabals s as possible - makes the words easier to understand - some examples:

For a man like me, it really doesn’t make much sense - For a man like me, really don't make much sense

He’s gettin’ on and talkin’ ’bout what’s round the bend - He’s gettin’ on talkin’ ’bout what’s round the bend

- I would bring the bass up a but more in the mix or EQ more low end.  Other than that the balance is really good.

Thanks Jonathan. Wow, the lyric sugs are really helpful. I think they are improvements! I'll pass them along to Patty and see if she agrees.  I'm so pleased that you like our song. It's lots of fun working as a team.....and, again, thank you for the specific input on those lines. 

Joey

18 hours ago, Snabbu said:

Hi boys and girl

I commented on this privately yesterday, mostly in regard to the vocal processing, so I won't go into that here. 

I just wanted to say nice work, and there is a thing about it that your having a lot of fun, and making the song the best it can be.

Which I admire. 

So today I'm just listening, as opposed to critical listening which is a totally different thing.

Cheers

Gary

Hey Gary, Patty showed me your production critique. I told her. that's the kind of thing that turns a demo into an album cut. I'm sure Dominick learned allot from it as well. You really know allot about songs and their production, and it's wonderful to have your input. Thanks for spending so much time on it. And thank you for listening to our song again for just the enjoyment....and for liking it. That's a real confidence boost for us! 

Joey

10 hours ago, AndyLeF said:

Excellent opening into the song - really gets straight in there and catches the ear.

Not sure about that 4-note bass run down at the end of the chorus - seemed a bit too predictable and 'easy' and got a bit wearing

for me on multiple listens. Maybe worth trying some variations to keep the listeners ears 'off-balance'...

Just wondering about the verse to chorus transition on the percussion - there is a little fill but to give greater contrast going into

the chorus it may be worth exploring a short pause/interruption in the drums to herald the coming chorus.

In the chorus I though there was an opportunity in the second line to really 'milk' the melody/expression on "know" (sung on a "B")_with a small

melisma change to "Kno-ow" where the second part of "Know" is sung a semi-tone higher on a "C" - just a though - the melody is good but that kind

of thing (here and maybe some other key expressive places as well) could really make it sparkle!

Andy

Thanks Andy. It's great to have such specific input. I'm always wondering about the subtle things that can be done with a melody and the vocal. This is great information. And I see what you are saying about the drum track too.... it really makes sense. I'll pass along the bass idea to Dominick. That should be an easy fix. 

It is very helpful that you are so specific. I'm really trying to make the vocal shine, and the subtle variations you mentioned are great for me to know about. I really appreciate it!

Joey

On 05/08/2018 at 04:58, The Nameless Untold said:

Thank you, Nameless,

This was such a fun experience for all of us.  I'm glad you liked it.

Patty

23 hours ago, jonlint said:

jonlint,

Thanks so much for your comments on the song, and I'm especially glad you like the hook. I'm working with two musical powerhouses in Joey and Dominick, and I don't want to disappoint them!

I think your lyric suggestions are good.  I should have thought of them myself.  Thank you!

Patty

19 hours ago, Snabbu said:

Hi boys and girl

Which I admire. 

Cheers

Gary

Gary,  Thank you.  This means a lot coming from you.  I appreciate both the technical suggestions and the general "just listening" response. And yes, we had a lot of fun doing this.

--The girl 😋

10 hours ago, AndyLeF said:

Andy,

SO glad you like this!  We will take all these things into consideration.  I wrote the lyrics to Joey's existing music and they just sort of fell onto the page.  It's so much easier for me to start with music, and this composition was a gift!  Thanks for your comments.

Patty

On 11/07/2018 at 05:34, A Musical Key said:

AMK,

Thanks.  I wrote these lyrics TO Joey's music, which made it much easier to fit the words and music together, IMO.  I think writing to music cuts days, even weeks, off the process because with a good composition, the parts are all there, just waiting for the words.  It's kind of "fill in the blanks."  I'm glad you liked the result.

Patty