jamiexmusic

New artist seeking feedback / advice

Hello! Nice to meet you. My name is Jamie. I'm pretty new to music, and I'm definitely doing my best to learn + improve.

One of my goals is to release an EP eventually. I'm definitely not at that stage yet of course. I want to focus on learning instruments, writing lyrics and melodies, and improving my vocal. Any tips for getting to this point would be welcomed. <3 Hopefully I'll go to an open mic night soon.

Here is a link to my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie_in_transmission (@jamie_in_transmission)

First original song on sound cloud (super simple and could def use a better vocal. would love some constructive feedback / tips): https://soundcloud.com/jamie_snyder/away

I am also struggling to create a name to put out music under. I thought about simply going by "Jamie." I'm into astrology (scorpio), the universe, love, vintage vibes, etc. Any tips for this would be amazing too!

xoxo
hope to talk to you soon

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 11.32.30 PM.png

Hi Jamie,

Before you start thinking about self promoting original material, it sounds like you may want to just start banging out some songs and taking feedback and tips to help improve your songwriting, performance, production skills, etc.  My recommendation would be to use this forum like most of us do.  When you've written a song, place it in the songs feedback forum and when you've written lyrics (no song idea yet) send that to the lyrics feedback section.  I would recommend putting the song you posted here in the songs feedback section for starters (you are more likely to get more attention and feedback that way).  Part of those forums is that it is "give and take".  You are asked to provide input on at least 2 other people's work for each submission.  That might sound like it would divert you from developing your own songwriting skills, but I find that when I'm critiquing other people's work I learn a great deal about my own strengths and weaknesses and sometimes it is as much a learning/growing experience as reading someone's critique.

Your journey to be a musician that people want to see or hear is going to involve a lot of hard work and a lot of time.  The more time you spend on it and work you put into it now, the sooner you are likely to get to a point where you can go out and perform.

-SOK

12 hours ago, jamiexmusic said:

I want to focus on learning instruments, writing lyrics and melodies, and improving my vocal. Any tips for getting to this point would be welcomed.

Find a school for music.

Practice and study hard.

Serious commitment - no short cuts.

Wasting time at places like this will not help you.

I'm with Lazz on this one...100%! 👍

Judging from the song you posted, you have a rudimentary knowledge of music at best.

Address that issue FIRST...become more knowledgeable about the fundamentals of music, acquire skills & practice.

Forget about all the other crap...recording software, music boards, building a social media presence, performing at open mics, marketing, artist name, etc.

It may sound like fun, but it's an absolute waste of your time & energies!

• Musical knowledge / Skills first
  • Next creation of material (songs)
  • Then and only then should you allow yourself to indulge in those others areas.

Tom

More specifically, if the Philadelphia Clef Club is still happening on Broad Street, you can make contact there with lots of generous talent happy to help you where you're at.  When, and if, you begin to tighten your focus, institutions with productive resources for developing skills in commercial music are Albright snd Kutztown as well as the U of Pittsburgh.

No harm in visiting your nearest "George's Music" for voicing your ambitions and seeking advice on reaching them.

The staff are qualified to help.

FWIW, I agree with everything Tom says, above, expect for one thing I think I'd qualify. Tom was very insightful about forgetting about social media, coming up with an artist name, etc.  At this point, that would be a waste of time and wishful thinking that's just a distraction for you  But, while I agree that learning how to record music well can also wait until much later or be something you delegate to others, "recording software" can typically do more than just record sounds - it can create them.  A Digital Audio Work Station with on-board and/or plug-in sounds , is also a tool for making (and arranging) musical sounds in creative ways - it's a musical instrument - and a very powerful one at that.   And, even though his musical instruments of choice are typically more traditional "real" ones, I'm sure Tom would agree that it's always worthwhile to take the plunge to learn any musical instrument - expcept maybe the accordion.  <heh-heh>  :)

David

On 06/07/2018 at 04:15, HoboSage said:

FWIW, I agree with everything Tom says, above, expect for one thing I think I'd qualify. Tom was very insightful about forgetting about social media, coming up with an artist name, etc.  At this point, that would be a waste of time and wishful thinking that's just a distraction for you  But, while I agree that learning how to record music well can also wait until much later or be something you delegate to others, "recording software" can typically do more than just record sounds - it can create them.  A Digital Audio Work Station with on-board and/or plug-in sounds , is also a tool for making (and arranging) musical sounds in creative ways - it's a musical instrument - and a very powerful one at that.   And, even though his musical instruments of choice are typically more traditional "real" ones, I'm sure Tom would agree that it's always worthwhile to take the plunge to learn any musical instrument - expcept maybe the accordion.  <heh-heh>  :)

David

Hey, what's wrong with the Accordion! I was thinking about taking that up next, if ever I get my guitar play to any kind of respectable level.

18 minutes ago, The Nameless Untold said:

Hey, what's wrong with the Accordion! I was thinking about taking that up next, if ever I get my guitar play to any kind of respectable level.

Heck yeah, like this guy: 

Hi Jamie, 

Your song reminded me a little of a george harrison song from the beatles called blue jay way. Way before your time, i know.  The advice you got here is good. Keep writing. Keep practicing instruments and keep recording. The DAW advice. Where to post stuff here. All good advice. 

You got your first post out of the way. If possible post lyrics with your songs too. By the way your song sounded interesting. If I remember correctly harrison said someone had dosed him with acid without him knowing and blue jay way was about his reactions. It's actually a pretty cool song. 

Welcome here. 

3 hours ago, The Nameless Untold said:

Hey, what's wrong with the Accordion!

Nothing.

And lots right with it.

Not only as funky as shit in hands like those of Rockin' Dopsie or Boozoo Chavez or Clifton Chenier.

Not only rootsy riches across south and central america but also deep European rivers of tradition to revel in and dance about.

As well as loud, brash and happy, it can even be lyrical and thoughtful and full of heart-rending beauty.

So good, it fits wonderfully in this perhaps unlikely trio of the stomach-steinway with flugelhorn and piano.

It becomes much less unlikely given the quality musicianship of the participants. 

And the accordion in the right hands can also be sexy as all hell. Maybe not to watch, lol, but definitely to listen to, haha. 

But seriously, some of my favorite bands, from goth country act 16 Horsepower to classics rewriters Nouvelle Vague, frequently use accordions. 

3 hours ago, Moso said:

Heck yeah, like this guy: 

48 minutes ago, Lazz said:

Nothing.

And lots right with it.

Not only as funky as shit in hands like those of Rockin' Dopsie or Boozoo Chavez or Clifton Chenier.

Not only rootsy riches across south and central america but also deep European rivers of tradition to revel in and dance about.

As well as loud, brash and happy, it can even be lyrical and thoughtful and full of heart-rending beauty.

So good, it fits wonderfully in this perhaps unlikely trio of the stomach-steinway with flugelhorn and piano.

It becomes much less unlikely given the quality musicianship of the participants. 

Those are both awesome examples.

1 hour ago, Moso said:

And the accordion in the right hands can also be sexy as all hell.

I have wasted many futile years in search of a topless accordionista.

1 hour ago, The Nameless Untold said:

Those are both awesome examples.

... and the fact that Mofo's example is from fun Finnish folksters is just fantastic.

If you are looking for fame and fortune, then you have to go where the famous and the rich are living.

The key to becoming a great musician is to unlock your own inherited talent. Developing that talent is where the  journey begins. School is fine, if you get with the right people.......you have to get with the right people. Playing, playing, playing with all sorts of people has a good way of weeding and sorting those "right" people out. And the second very most important point is to love what you are doing....even if it means you are eating a bear claw from Duncan Donuts for your dinner.

Now, if it is a hobby you are looking for, all of the above counts, but to a much lesser degree 😋 A day job covers the Family, while you can still be in the hunt for your very own Opus.

Good luck....I hope this helps..............It's not a waste of time, if it's exactly what you want to do, and you are having fun at the same time!!

Oh, and what's up with the glum pic.....you have to learn to smile more...Philly isn't that bad, is it?? 

Hey Jamie just keep working I’m pretty new to music to and the biggest thing that I think has helped me is to be patient the more you work the more your voice will grow and change into exactly what you want to be! I will say that starting off my biggest mistake was rushing to create a name for myself to put music under without even really working on my craft. The name should be something that is true to your music and once you look at it from that perspective the name of fall in your lap good job keep workingThe name should be something that is true to your music and once you look at it from that perspective the name of fall in your lap good job keep working

Yo Jamie! Where ya at?