Sign in to follow this  

I just purchased Corel's Video Studio Pro 2018

Now is a great time to buy if you are interested as they are having a sale.  I had the product many years ago when it was under a different brand name the video editor software was sold to Corel (I forget if it was Magix or Ulead) At that time, my employer was using BBflashback for screencasts and as such I was required to use BB for doing the various screencasts of our products.  When I finally bought a new computer I forgot to transfer the license for video studio.

I've only had a few minutes with this way newer version and hope to have more time in the future exploring it's features.  My goal for this summer was to start producing video's again.  I've been sidetracked with other things. 

https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/videostudio/#

• Like 1

Hate to admit it, but I got by on Moviemaker till just last year :blush:

When I finally stepped up to Windows 10, I discovered it was no longer offered.

At that point I purchased Adobe Premier Elements 15.

Gotta say, I've been very pleased with it...immensely more capable than Moviemaker 👍

Tom

• Thanks 1

Blackmagic Design have a free version of Davinci Resolve that is supergood. Davinci Resolve is and have been used for Hollywood movies as I understand so this is good stuff for sure. The free version is so good I do not think I ever will need the paid for version. You got normal editing like cut and paste, multiple video and audio tracks, you can adjust colors, correct colors, stabilize footage, there is an audio mixing section in it and in version 15 they implemented Fusion the "special effects" program also used in Hollywood movies. So it is well worth to check out.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/

I made this freaked out video of our magnolia tree with Resolve

• Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 15:33, Burnin_Sven said:

Blackmagic Design have a free version of Davinci Resolve that is supergood. Davinci Resolve is and have been used for Hollywood movies as I understand so this is good stuff for sure. The free version is so good I do not think I ever will need the paid for version. You got normal editing like cut and paste, multiple video and audio tracks, you can adjust colors, correct colors, stabilize footage, there is an audio mixing section in it and in version 15 they implemented Fusion the "special effects" program also used in Hollywood movies. So it is well worth to check out.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/

I made this freaked out video of our magnolia tree with Resolve

I was excited to see they had a free version with all sorts of neat things in it - then I downloaded it and installed it and found you need a 'control surface' to use it.  RATS!

• Haha 1

Sorry I disapointed you but I belive you must have overlooked something. I use only my computers got no extra hardware/control surfade running the free version of Davinci Resolve and it works great. Check this out!

I like eko friendly stuff so I bought this for my mother and filmed while we tested it.

From a couple of days ago.

Davince Resolve 14 point something

On 5 juli 2018 at 21:00, Mike B said:

I was excited to see they had a free version with all sorts of neat things in it - then I downloaded it and installed it and found you need a 'control surface' to use it.  RATS!

Nope you do not the only thing you need to operate this program is your computer.

tunesmith what is so funny?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Burnin_Sven said:

Nope you do not the only thing you need to operate this program is your computer.

AS soon as I booted it up, it was asking for a control surface to link to, and would not load because I didn't have one, got an error message.

Any of you guys ever try the free trial of Final Cut Pro? I'm not a video guy, but I would probably roll with that. Of course, I'm an Apple guy, so that's part of the equation, but I know that Hollywood movies definitely are made on FCP

EDIT: Oh, and you guys were talking about DaVinci Resolve (which I've read is one of the Hollywood standards). If you scroll to the bottom of this page, they have a link to the free beta version. 

5 hours ago, Burnin_Sven said:

I wouldn't classify it as "so funny", but I did think that Mike intended his response to be somewhat comedic. 

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 05:45, Burnin_Sven said:

Are you running a Mac or PC?

I couldn't get past the 'control surface selection' screen (on a PC)

There is a free version and a paid for version so you must have downloaded the paid for version I think its called studio or you miss understod something in the installationprocess. I have been using the free version for years so I know for real you do not need a control surface for it.

The free version is super good so you do not really need the paid for in my opinion. I run it on both Mac and PC. I use it on some pretty powerfull machines even for 4k resolution video.

Its one Hackmac with an i7 cpu and a 1080 graphics card and a blackmagic design mini monitor (the thunderbolt version) hooked up to a 32 inch Samsung flatscreen tv I use as my monitor and a Y720 Lenovo PC laptop with a 4k display. But with 720p and also 1080p a slower computer works since you can lower the resolution on the files you work with to make it easier on the computer and replace them with the real stuff when you are done editing and you bounce/render out the finished video.  

The lenovo laptop is avesome it has thunderbolt (I use tb for one of my cams) and ofcourse usb3 (so I can hook up my gopro via a elgato Camlink hdmi to usb3 capture card). So with the mics and the cheap Subzero mixer I am also mobile/portable and get a pretty ok quality (with OBS as my broadcasting software) even when I broadcast live. 

I uninstalled it and deleted the zip file, will try again, but it was definitely the free version.

Ok hopefully it goes away then lol lol. I know people have been having problems with win 10 and some permission thingys on PC, I took for granted that was for BM designs hardware though but who knows.

My Lenovo laptop run on Win 10 and I believe it is a pretty recent year model.

Anyway PM maybe I can help you over skype but I am no expert though.

Nope, tried again.  This is Resolve 15 'public beta' version - only free one offered.

I get a message: 'Resolve could not find any OPEN CL capable GPUss.  Would you like to review and udpdate?  I go into the configure screen, select 'none' for the control surface, look through other things, dont' see anything I need to change further.  Re-start and get the same message.

1 hour ago, Mike B said:

Resolve could not find any OPEN CL capable GPUs

That sounds like a system hardware error, specifically graphics. Have you checked your comp v tech specs? 

Yes you need a graphicscard that can "take it" but download Resolve 14 it is there too and you can download it.

Scroll to about 1:41 I did not want to record and upload so I just streamed it and it takes some time to set it up.

Go to the page click support then davinci resolve fusion and go for 14.3.1 under the same version of the studio which is the paid for version.

Sorry bout the wrong headline on the videoclip I forgot to change it on youtube before I started the live stream.

I'll try that.   I run other video s/w on the computer with no issues.  Will see if I can find that free version 14.  If not, I'll try it on my Win7 computer.

Thanks

Guess it is a graphics card issue with my Win10 machine, as 14 didn't work either.  SO I moved the file over to my WIn 7 machine, and after installing, I got a 'quick set up' pop up, which indicated that I should be able to do some color work with the card in tis computer - I don't remember getting this quick set up screen on the Win 10 machine.

So I opened it up and dragged a few photos and short video clip into it, but nothing shows up in the visual 'screen' area - I can see the items on the timeline, but nothing plays.

Ok.

I think before version 14 you got nowhere without a good video card like at least a 4 gig gti 960 card or something for the calculations inside the program and if you could afford it it worked better with two. One for the programs calculations and one for the graphical interface. With version 14 they made the program more efficient so it is not that critical with two videocards no more to avoid lag but of course the better card the better the program works so if you wanna work with 4k files even mp4 you need a good one. I have a gti 1080 8 gig card in my machine. But like I said before you can use the optimized media function and do all the work on lower resolution files and when youre done and render/bounce out your video instead of the optimized media you bring in the original/real files and go to sleep or something and let the computer work.

I guess one have to remember that Resolve is targeted for the pro market so it  wants some juice to be able to do all the cool stuff you can do with it. I probably never will use more that 25 % of its ability but who cares its free lol. I know guys like us here probably wont need a fancy program like this even if its fre but it renders out the videos so much quicker than any other program I tried before. You got presets in it for the best youtube settings when you upload files. You can mix file types like mov mp4 and raw etc etc on the same timeline. With version 15 I believe it is the worlds only program where you can color correct and edit video, work with sound and special effects all in the same program. 

9 hours ago, Mike B said:

Guess it is a graphics card issue with my Win10 machine, as 14 didn't work either.  SO I moved the file over to my WIn 7 machine, and after installing, I got a 'quick set up' pop up, which indicated that I should be able to do some color work with the card in tis computer - I don't remember getting this quick set up screen on the Win 10 machine.

So I opened it up and dragged a few photos and short video clip into it, but nothing shows up in the visual 'screen' area - I can see the items on the timeline, but nothing plays.

You posted before me so I did not read what you wrote before I posted my replay lol.

Whats the specs of your two computers? Will the video play in the media tab and color tab and just not in the edit tab? If you remove the photos and only keep the video will it play back then? What file format is it, Mp4, mov ....? 

I don't know details on what the video cards in the computers are 9at work right now).   NVidia in the Win 7, I know that.  Rendering always took some time in 1080 HD, but never had any issues but the speed of processing.  I have Roxio and Seriph and one other video program, never had any card issues with them except the speed of processing HD.

Meanwhile I still haven't spent even a full thirty minutes using mine.  I'm waiting till I actually record something, which now that I'm working 7 days a week three of them doubles pushes out a lot of free time for anything.

Gave Resolve another shot with the old Win 7 machine.  Nope.  Added 5 JPEG photos, as soon as I tried to do some color correction, it crashed.