Neal K

June Song Contest

1 hour ago, PaulCanuck said:

Tomahawk
Hendrix vibe, great lyrics. Like how the lead guitar tracks lead vox. tad too long. one of your best IMO

Cheers Paul, I wasn't sure about the guitar tracking the vocals but after playing around with it, it worked in my head.  Thanks for the listen!  (and thanks to all others who commented!)

10 hours ago, PaulCanuck said:

BTW - I like the 1-10 scoring system.

Simple and intuitive. Better song = higher score.

We were getting a bit too cute with the 1 - 5 inverted system IMHO :)

Hear.

Hey JOe - I think I know what triggered this thread - my note on " Summertime Song " :)

My comment was more of an observation than I criticism - I hope you took it that way.

I agree with tunesmith - in a one-plus-one it is a real challenge to make the chorus stand out as different if the chord prog is the same as the verse.

I think non-musicians are more tolerant of this approach - because musicians know what the song could become if the prog were to vary.

Good topic BTW

Paul

9 minutes ago, PaulCanuck said:

Hey JOe - I think I know what triggered this thread - my note on " Summertime Song " :)

My comment was more of an observation than I criticism - I hope you took it that way.

I agree with tunesmith - in a one-plus-one it is a real challenge to make the chorus stand out as different if the chord prog is the same as the verse.

I think non-musicians are more tolerant of this approach - because musicians know what the song could become if the prog were to vary.

Good topic BTW

Paul

Yeah maybe. If I remember correctly I also bought this same topic up awhile back. So it’s something that keeps coming back to me. Using both methods opens up my songwriting a bit more I think. As a beginner I would run with the same chord progression more often. As an intermediate I refused to use the same chord progression in different parts of my songs. And now as a Master Songwriter 😂 I use both methods. 🤘