Sign in to follow this  
tunesmithth

"Spotify"...Cutting Out the Middle-Man

"Spotify gets almost all of its music by cutting deals with the music labels, which have cut their own deals with musicians. Now it is starting to cut out the middle man.

Per Billboard, Spotify has started licensing some songs directly from artists and their managers, paying advances of “several hundred thousand dollars” for a collection of tracks." 

Article linkhttps://www.recode.net/2018/6/8/17441544/spotify-daniel-ek-direct-deal-music-labels

Just like netflix or hulu

Of course that only works if the label does not have 'rights' to the music per their artist contract.  Spotify doesn't offer anything but its own streaming service, so any artist wanting further distribution (radio, CDs, other streaming sites) will still need to find a label or service for that - and that entity might want the Spotify rights, too.

"HEY SPOTIFY!  My 5th album is almost ready, can I get a hundred grand?"  :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike B said:

Of course that only works if the label does not have 'rights' to the music per their artist contract.  Spotify doesn't offer anything but its own streaming service, so any artist wanting further distribution (radio, CDs, other streaming sites) will still need to find a label or service for that - and that entity might want the Spotify rights, too.

"HEY SPOTIFY!  My 5th album is almost ready, can I get a hundred grand?"  :lol:

Nobody will give an advance without payback - so rights must  be part of the equation.

The alternatives are Distrokid, Tunecore, etc. They will get you on the streaming sites (like Spotify) and they will pay you according to how many plays you get. There is a small cost involved, of course - and no advances (obviously). I guess it depends on who take the risk.

1 hour ago, Mike B said:

"HEY SPOTIFY!  My 5th album is almost ready, can I get a hundred grand?" 

No problem Mike....the check is in the mail :rolleyes: