Sign in to follow this  
Oswlek

Time Stretching

Does anyone have insight on good time stretch programs with minimal artifacts?  I generally use the stock VST with Cubase, but it can be messy and I'm hoping to speed up and full mix

I seem to recall audio files that can be synched to a BPM. Is there a program that converts regular WAV files?  Does this work for full mixes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Melodyne can do a good job.

in Reaper, you can choose different algorithms for stretching, to see which works best.

Otherwise, I think you need "acidized" wave files (or maybe REX?). 

A lot depends on what you need to stretch (in most cases you likely need to cut your file into small pieces.

Melodyne is the very best at time and pitch correction. It's also real expensive.

Reaper is not the only DAW with built in stretching capabilities. To my ear, MOTU's Digital Performer does the best job of this (among DAWs). MOTU's approach let's you tweak and nudge and goof with the stretch without degradation of the original file. No offense to anyone who uses it, but Reaper is the last program on Earth I'd trust to not screw up the audio.

Stretch an entire mix works great, up to a point. With so much harmonic info flying around, even Melodyne will produce digital artifacts if you stretch too far.

But Logic, ProTools, Cubase, Studio 1, etc., etc... they all do it, for better or worse.

Mixcraft handles that just fine for me inside the box.  Though I do agree every product has it's limitations and the more you employ it to extremes the more the artifacts will appear.

If you are recording sections or importing best to strive for midi instead of audio.  I know a lot of people like to freeze midi tracks to audio as it lessens latency issues with overtaxing processors.  With regards to my personal use....  Everything is midi except guitars and vocals.  For those I record directly and practice up before I hit record Knowing that it may take a few takes.  I generally hate working with audio sample libraries.  I'd rather create my own parts on a midi controller or use pre recorded midi loops.  Even that (using pre recorded midi loops for drums) is fading as I'm trying to develop my own drumming via Launchpad Pro and Melodics. 

Melodyne is definitely a great pitch shift and time stretch software, but as you already have Cubase (witch version?) I would recommend to use it, there is few time stretching algorithms, and  depending on what audio material you want to stretch, you'll need to choose the more appropriate algorithm. Ten years ago the quality of melodyne was unbeatable, but I tried it few months ago in a project and the quality was the same as Cubase. Also stretching a hole mix depend first of all on your content, sometimes you can double the tempo without any noticeable loss of quality, and in other audio materials after stretching by 20% you began to hear digital noises in the high medium frequencies..