Sign in to follow this  
Marc G

Forum Suggestion: Polls to quickly rate songs 1 through 10

This is a suggestion to allow polls for listeners to rate songs from 1 through 10 with or without leaving a comment, to be used particularly in the forum Songs (incl Instrumentals) Feedback. Number ratings are the best part of the Song Contests forum, they allow everyone to get an idea of how good their songs are based on a number value. Number ratings are more specific than vague comments so they can be more helpful, and they show what the consensus of a song is at a quick glance based on multiple opinions.

A pre-made poll could have such rating categories as:

Melody:

Lyrics:

Mixing:

Overall:

The poll should also show the average scores of each category.

Sure. Not everyone would want that and the better critiques are far from vague.

However, for those that prefer it, there is nothing to stop you from setting up a poll in your post. There is a tab to do that when you start a new thread. It will give total "votes" for each answer but it is a poll, not a full survey, so the analysis options are limited.

I guess it depends on how you view the process of critique. :blush:

If you think of it as "judging", then yeah...numeric rating make a certain amount of sense.

Personally, I view the process as an opportunity for improvement. In other words, a way for creators to solicit outside perspectives & suggestions on how to improve what they already have.

In that light, I don't see numeric ratings as beneficial.

They point out areas of perceived weakness, but offer few specifics & absolutely no guidance about how to correct the weakness.

As for your comparison...contest-to-critique, I see them having few if any similarities.

Contests are about competition...critique is about outside perspectives, learning & betterment.

Tom 

• Like 1

Critiques are important but they don't give a clear average on how good a song is like a number rating would, and they can also be untruthful to preserve feelings. Maybe a number rating would be more likely to be truthful. People might also be willing to leave a number rating if they don't want to write a critique.

Instead of polls I probably should have suggested surveys, or something that would also calculate the average scores.

What you'd get is the number of people voting for each option. If you wanted an average, it's just a matter of addition and division.

I guess an alternative would be to link to something like Survey Monkey (free for up to 10 questions per survey). How many people would actually do it though, I don't know.

Personally, I want the qualitative feedback more than the quantitative - I want to know why people feel what they feel about a song. A number doesn't give me that.

I do recognise that some people like numbers, though. Maybe you should try a poll?

29 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

If you think that the dozen or so people who might score your song in a contest or give you feedback in the critique forum gives you any sort of a reliable indication of how "good" or "bad" your song actually is, I think you're delusional.  :)

Why wouldn't it indicate how good a song is?

Marc G, I can only speak for myself here, and I'm thinking mainly in terms of the Lyrics feedback forum. While I believe there's much value in a well-considered and informed critique, I believe that numbers in the lyric or song contests are not a reliable indication of the quality of a given lyric or song. If you look at any of the recent (or older) contests you'll see that even the winning pieces (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place) invariably have ratings of 4 or 4.5 along with the 1s or 1.5s and an assortment of anything between 2 and 3.5. The voting is highly subjective, and all sorts of factors come into play. 

Like Alistair, I prefer to have a qualitative comment indicating why someone might have liked or disliked a lyric or song of mine. To me, a number-only response would be meaningless  (even if got a kick out of the fact my lyric/song might have placed in one of the winning categories).

Well, let's say you get a dozen opinions. Some like it, some don't. What does that say? Not much. A different 12 people might give a completely different mix of like and dislike.

Put it another way- if you are playing live in a bar and there are 50 people in the bar and most are chatting and drinking but 4 are watching you closely and seem to be enjoying it, what does that tell you? Maybe 8% like what you are doing (or maybe they are just drunk or antisocial) and 92% could care less (and maybe would be disinterested in whatever you were playing). Do you focus on the 4 or the 46? Do you need to play in a different venue or do you need to change your material?

Not everyone is your audience, whatever you do.

Let's say that one of the four comes up and explains exactly what he or she likes about your stuff and it is clear that this IS your audience, but also explains how that one, new song doesn't work for them - that's useful, isn't it?

Here's the short answer...

Because "my song" finished DEAD LAST in March's contest :blush: :rolleyes: :wacko:

Admittedly I'm biased, but what can I tell ya'? :P

Tom

4 hours ago, tunesmithth said:

Here's the short answer...

Because "my song" finished DEAD LAST in March's contest :blush: :rolleyes: :wacko:

Admittedly I'm biased, but what can I tell ya'? :P

Tom

I understand the feeling, it has also happened to me. 😃

• Thanks 1

I think all my songs are awsome actually. So I'm not afraid of having them scored out of 10, thus as an idea I don't mind one way or another.

I guess it is possible that my songs will never get perfect 10 scores everytime but I think that not everybody here is on my intellectual wavelength and thus don't always see my true brilliance anyway. 

• Haha 1

Yeah man. I want ideas on how to improve my songs. Suggestions on lyric improvements, music improvements, performance improvements, etc. Not a number. I feel most of the muse members here are generally not into the style of music I create. Therefore those numbers wouldn’t be a very accurate way to tell me if my song is “good” or not. In the end. I decide if my song is “good” or not. Sometimes I need a good critique to realize my song would benefit from some changes. Things I maybe didn’t think of myself. I’m cool with the numbers in a contest setting. But if I relied on those numbers alone. It means I’ve never written a good song as I always finish towards the very bottom of the contest piles. I know some of those songs were good. So I also know the numbers system shouldn’t be used as a critique system. But hey. If I post a song for critique and you want to leave me a number go ahead. I’ll ignore it and move on. If you leave me some thoughts with that number I’ll definitely read them and take them into consideration. 

• Like 2

Being serious for a moment, the following is taken from a contest result announced today.

(Scoring was 1-5, with "1" being the best..."5" being the worst)

2.0 2.5 1.5 2.0 4.0 4.0 2.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 2.5 1.5 2.0 3.5 3.0 4.0 2.0

So, you tell me, is the song good or bad? :blush:

It received 2 ratings of "1.5" and 3 ratings of "4"...damn-near polar opposites.

Tom

• Like 1

I'm with the others - numbers don't tell us what people do or don't like about a song.   There is way too small a number of people voting in any of the contests, or commenting/critiquing in the feedback forums to make numbers alone mean anything at all.

So, some people like numbers and some prefer written feedback. Luckily, we have a way to choose (for each thread-starter) :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tunesmithth said:

Being serious for a moment, the following is taken from a contest result announced today.

(Scoring was 1-5, with "1" being the best..."5" being the worst)

So, you tell me, is the song good or bad? :blush:

It received 2 ratings of "1.5" and 3 ratings of "4"...damn-near polar opposites.

Tom

About 9 out of 17 scored it favorably. This would make me consider how a general audience would receive the song and therefore how likely it would be to become a hit or receive many listens. There is some pretty good information to infer at a glance. About half the audience would find it moderately appealing, another half not very appealing, and it would not have many extreme like or dislike reactions. So I would interpret the song as average based on that score.

Anyway, I can see that folks don't want numbers and that's fine, although I disagree about their usefulness.

I am seeing how my original post was misleading as it suggested to leave numbers "without leaving a comment." I meant "with or without leaving comments." Sorry about that, it is fixed now.