Hey - sorry to stumble in late :lol:

Great selection of lyrics this month - this competition is thriving - nice to see!

Congrats to Donna, Kuya, Andy and Iggy and thanks to anyone who thought the Truth worthy of a good score (and thanks for the nice comments above).

My favs this month were (of course) Donna's Naked by the Tree (top pick for me) - great poignancy, Barneyboy's Alexa - very current, good word economy,  Kuya's Genius - hilarious and clever grab off the forum header, Eric's The Greatest Story Never Told - good hook. I also liked Battle of the Bulge (funny) and Another Little Angel Has Arrived in Heaven (touching/sad).

Sorry Doug - it wasn't the language, it was the misogynistic language that drove me to give a lower score to "Three Wishes".

Oh and thanks to Justin for hosting - until you're better paid :)

Paul

@DonnaMarilyn

Obviously, it didn't appeal to almost anyone but you! But I have to say, you totally, I mean 100 percent, get exactly what I was aiming for. And because I consider you one of my lyric-writing role models, your understanding of it makes it worthwhile to have entered the contest with the lyric. Thanks again for your vote.

Doug

:P:lol:Congratulations:lol::P

Donna and Paul

&

Kuya and Andy

! WELL DONE !

And to everyone who entered......default_blush.pngdefault_blush.pngdefault_blush.pngdefault_blush.pngdefault_blush.png

And thanks to all of the votes for my song......

Special thanks to

:lol:Oswlek:lol:

for his great work in hosting this month!!!!

iggy

1 hour ago, lyriCAL said:

@DonnaMarilyn

Obviously, it didn't appeal to almost anyone but you! But I have to say, you totally, I mean 100 percent, get exactly what I was aiming for. And because I consider you one of my lyric-writing role models, your understanding of it makes it worthwhile to have entered the contest with the lyric. Thanks again for your vote.

Doug

Hi Doug, 

I had you tied for 4th place. Not too shabby a result for such a crowded field. 

@lyriCAL,

It seems that I need to get with the program!  I misinterpreted your song and barneyboys!  My notes say that the rhyming and meter were good, that there was a interesting approach with the three stories, but in the end I had you pegged as a punk kid that probably never even kissed a girl, that probably watched too many movies spewing some braggadoccio.  I scored it a 4 recognizing some of the good aspects mentioned above, but not wanting to show any support whatsoever for the message and not thinking that anyone would want to sing it (if taken seriously).  Now that I know that this was done in jest, I would change my score.

Congratulations to the top finishers.  Extra kudos to Oswlek for his patience as he had some issues to deal with this month especially with so many entries.  It's a tough job. 

2 hours ago, lyriCAL said:

@DonnaMarilyn

Doug

For what it's worth, I am the person who gave it a 1.5....

9 hours ago, fabkebab said:

Thanks, Andrew!

Thanks for your hard work on competition Os

does this now mean that the final voting date on these comps can be extended without penalty?

i hope so

Some really  good lyrics this month well done all

particually Paul's which was my top pick

all the best

Mike

On 07/06/2018 at 09:44, fabkebab said:

Have I gone back to the past?  I thought this was June and not July.

On 08/06/2018 at 20:26, Clemo said:

does this now mean that the final voting date on these comps can be extended without penalty?

I would not expect my leniency to have any impact on future comps.  

On 09/06/2018 at 01:26, Clemo said:

3 hours ago, Oswlek said:

I would not expect my leniency to have any impact on future comps.  

I think anyone running one of these contests would prefer that everyone met the deadline - it makes their lives much easier when that happens.

However, if people fail to meet the deadline (and there are occasionally good reasons for that), the contest runner needs to make a pragmatic decision as to what to do for the best (assuming they are willing to be flexible at all).

One individual's willingness to bend in very specific circumstances should never be seen as an excuse to ignore the deadlines (which would inevitably make the contest runner's job harder) nor should anyone make any assumptions that another person running a contest will show any flexibility at all.

Honestly, I'm surprised at the question.

I am running the next competition so I can predict how it will go -  I will give everyone time to offer their scores before a fixed deadline and disqualify the rest- Its simply a time thing for me 

I think it's unfortunate that Justin is still getting grief on his decision to extend the deadline.  I was one of the 4? people that Oswlek delayed the contest for and I feel compelled to explain myself.  

In my case, I had sent my scores to him three days before the deadline.  I know this because I received a "Message Sent" prompt.  Thing is...he didn't receive them and I had no way of knowing until he PM'd me the morning after the deadline.  By the way, this is the second time that I've sent something to him and he didn't receive it.  So there was a technology issue at least in my case.  

I did not ask for him to extend the deadline, but I was grateful to have the chance to send in my scores (which I did as soon as I received his message) as I had spent several hours reading and re-reading people's lyrics, scoring them, and writing notes to provide constructive feedback later.  

I remember about a year ago I ran one month's lyric contest. Unknown to me the device I was using (iPad or iPod) caused problems and I also lost internet access during  the lyric entry period of the contest for a couple days.  People were naturally upset and concerned to know if their entry was received and why did it take so long to post. The point is there were issues.  Issues come up. 

Look at Short Order Kook's situation this month. Through no fault of his own and no fault of Justin's  ( Oswlek)  Short's scores didn't reach Justin. I would hate to have Short's entry disqualified under these circumstances. I don't know or need to know the other three circumstances. In hindsight the situation with SOK alone made the judgement call by Justin the correct one because SOK deserved to have a shot at winning and he did.  We'd all deserve that same consideration. 

Having run a contest just that one month I appreciate the effort that goes into being scrupulously honest by the hosts. Judgement calls are required. Justin didn't have a horse in the race. It was a favor to the rest of us he ran it.  He sent emails acknowledging receipt of entries and scores, too! Which I thought was nice.

I like to think these contests are friendly and really all you win is the right to smile for a few days. I admit I got a kick out of winning because the rest of you are good.  I have little doubt that the people entering each month will all have their turns on the podium. We just all have to be patient. 

Surprising as it seems

Muse dosen't seem to like IPad for some reason 

I have had posting problems in the past 

I empathise with any one that as had similar troubles

Thank you Os for being so understanding

all the best

Mike