Sign in to follow this  
Ironknee

"That Empathetic Man"

Hi everyone....just a recent tune to reflect the times. I would love to hear your thoughts, and first impressions are most welcome!

Thanks, in  advance....

-Tom

"That Empathetic Man"
Words & Music by Tom Tognaci

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13724069

Could I walk a hundred miles, on the soles of broken shoes?
Could I lose everything I ever had to lose?
Could I sleep aside a road?
Could I dream shivering cold?
Could I be that homeless face, rung out and old?

I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But as this Country now bemoans
White guilt and comfort zones….
It’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

~ Instrumental~

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
But using kids to lite the fuse
On the bombs thrown by fake news
Yea, it’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

Would I stand, could I face, those hateful hearts of stone?
Could I practice what I preach when I stand alone?
Could I kick the man (that’s) down?
Or, would I help him off the ground?
Would I show mercy when the tables turn around?

But, berate this great Country,
With a finger and a knee……
You aren’t going to find that empathetic man

On 08/05/2018 at 01:51, Ironknee said:

Hi everyone....just a recent tune to reflect the times. I would love to hear your thoughts, and first impressions are most welcome!

Thanks, in  advance....

-Tom

"That Empathetic Man"

Could I be that homeless face, rung out and old? Good set up verse, sets a tone. After that, you lost me.

~ Instrumental~

On the bombs thrown by fake news It's hard to be empathetic condoning mass killings, but your negative response does just that.

With a finger and a knee……Condoning shootings of unarmed black people or profiling is a thinly veiled nod at bigotry.

Hi I

It's a free country I guess....

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 03:35, R-N-R Jim said:

Hi I

It's a free country I guess....

Well, RNR......sorry you don't "get it". I'm am pleased that you took the time to listen and comment, however. I think if you were to reach way down inside, just to lower the volume on all the Left and Right clamor, you might begin to understand where I'm coming from. It seems that the noise being generated is sponsoring this great divide. The ideals that I grew up empathizing with are no longer pondered.....or discussed. It seems we have new priorities. Ones, I just can't relate with.

And yes.....it's a free country. That's one of those ideals I grew up understanding and appreciating.

😎-I

Your after the discussion add-ons are cheap and dishonest: "It's hard to be empathetic condoning mass killings, but your negative response does just that" & "Condoning shootings of unarmed black people or profiling is a thinly veiled nod at bigotry".

I was right about you, Jim.

5 hours ago, Ironknee said:

Well, RNR......sorry you don't "get it". I'm am pleased that you took the time to listen and comment, however. I think if you were to reach way down inside, just to lower the volume on all the Left and Right clamor, you might begin to understand where I'm coming from. If you watch Fox propaganda alt right news, then I can understand the song to a tee.

It seems that the noise being generated is sponsoring this great divide.I guess when we are openly hearing from factions like the KKK and White nationalist groups, it does tend to start a buzz, doesn't it? And when they get the presidents dog whistle blessing, it becomes alittle unsettling. 

The ideals that I grew up empathizing with are no longer pondered.....or discussed. What is being argued is that it's not okay to arrest a black man and then either shoot him in cold blood or strangle him to death instead of arresting him and booking him at the station like any white trash would be at least dignified the honor to go through.

It seems we have new priorities. The "new" priorities are basically reminding us that the "old" priorities that we thought were being met are not being met anymore or worse, being reversed.

Ones, I just can't relate with. Being white makes it easy not to relate. If you have ever been pulled over for a traffic violation, does the thought that you might be looking at two officers with their guns drawn yelling at you to get out of the car ever happen? If you are white, this thought never enters your mind.

And yes.....it's a free country. That's one of those ideals I grew up understanding and appreciating.

😎-I

Hi I

Yes, it's a free country. Ignorance is bliss too, until you start asking questions.

😉-J

30 minutes ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Hi I

Yes, it's a free country. Ignorance is bliss too, until you start asking questions.

😉-J

Jim....you need to take a cold shower. Take your arguments to the azz holes vs azz holes section of this forum!!

• Haha 1

And on that note, let our latest race-to-the-bottom begin ;) ...on your marks, get set, GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Hi Iron knee. I think your song strikes a strong chord that listeners can either relate with, or possibly be triggered by...

In a way, this is a good sign that it invokes emotions and reaction. I didn't listen to your song through the ears of the left or right, took it more as a personal cry from just a guy, that represents a lot of growing frustration in the world. But I can see how it possibly steps into the great political debate.

IMO I think America will be a lot better, realistic and open to non emotional discussions, when we break this "dweedle dee vs dweedle dum" binary system. We are currently only sheep choosing one side of the cage or the other, while the system continues to shove their two terrible candidates down our collective throats.

In any event, I'm sure R-N-R has his reasons for his reactions, but I personally didn't hear anything offensive.

@R-N-R Jim For what it's worth:

59 minutes ago, R-N-R Jim said:

If you watch Fox propaganda alt right news, then I can understand the song to a tee.

Fox news is fake news, CNN is fake news, every main outlet bends their headlines to their political leaning. "Trump is starting WWIII with North Korea" vs "Trump should get a Nobel peace prize" It's pretty ridiculous, how far the outlets are bending to their stories, and how the readers agree or disagree depending on their personal slant.

58 minutes ago, R-N-R Jim said:

I guess when we are openly hearing from factions like the KKK and White nationalist groups, it does tend to start a buzz, doesn't it? And when they get the presidents dog whistle blessing, it becomes alittle unsettling. 

I do not believe there are fascists or bigots building in masses. I don't think the KKK is any more influential currently then ever. In fact, I have seen a healthy decline in the idiotic notion that skin color or culture has a damn thing to with anything. I can believe what the news says, or I can believe what I see with my own eyes. I grew up in east Tennessee (ultra red) and lived in Northern California (ultra blue), my daughter is bisexual, and my best friend is an orthodox muslim from Pakistan. In my circles, I'm just Wade, she is just Madison, and he's just Omar. We're all different, and that's cool.  In all my dealings, I have not met anyone that was an asshole bigot or fascist or KKK member. They're out there, but I can assure you, there numbers are thankfully dwindling.

My only personal experience with racism was when an Hispanic woman started screaming at me in San Jose because I was white and couldn't understand. As much as I tried to have a good conversation, and reassure her that I don't believe in racism, I think everyone should have the same opportunities, etc... but she (and others at the protest) didn't want to discuss what they and I were feeling, they wanted to scream and throw out that I was born a racist, I am a fascist and my white privilege blinds me from the truth. If you ask anyone that knows me, that's the furthest from an accurate description of me. I had no other option then to shut up and walk away. I really don't see where all this anger and blind rage is going to help. If anything, it divides us more. Breaks my heart.

1 hour ago, R-N-R Jim said:

What is being argued is that it's not okay to arrest a black man and then either shoot him in cold blood or strangle him to death instead of arresting him and booking him at the station like any white trash would be at least dignified the honor to go through.

It seems we have new priorities. The "new" priorities are basically reminding us that the "old" priorities that we thought were being met are not being met anymore or worse, being reversed.

I think everyone decent (both sides) agree bad cops are bad, and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. We should prosecute without prejudice. I don't hear anyone arguing otherwise. I certainly didn't hear that in this song. I assumed the ideas he grew up on, were along the lines of "don't tread on others", "treat your neighbor with respect" and "don't judge a book by it's cover". All of which are getting tested, scrutinized and lost in todays social climate.

1 hour ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Being white makes it easy not to relate. If you have ever been pulled over for a traffic violation, does the thought that you might be looking at two officers with their guns drawn yelling at you to get out of the car ever happen? If you are white, this thought never enters your mind.

Actually this did enter my mind when I was in college and had a beard, and a pony tail to the middle of my back. Four of Knoxville's finest, pulled me out of the car at gun point, and kept smacking me with their night stick. Ironically, one of the cops was black, and he was one the biggest azzholes in the bunch. They let me go with a warning (even though I had not done anything wrong). The overreaching police state is an issue that's been around since I can remember. But, thankfully the rise of cell phone and body cameras, has started to help keep them accountable. I wish that I had a camera back then, but was the olden days :)

"being white makes it easy not to relate" isn't that... racist? Assuming something because of the color of my skin. What if I said "being black makes it hard to understand"? Sound racist to me.

There are issues that we need to address, from racial profiling to cops being Nazis. But yelling at each other with hot words and profanity is not going to help. Also, being triggered so harshly to a great song that a man wrote from his heart and his vantage point, illustrates one of the biggest issue in this country. We can never come together, if everyone either starts each discussion being defensive, or alternatively people can't voice their feelings, so they stop talking and just walk away.

Anyway. Great song.

• Thanks 1

It's a well-written and well-performed - and honest - song. I think the point that some listeners won't share the viewpoint of the singer has been made already (and likely won't come as a surprise to Tom, anyway!). Some will, of course.

Let's focus on the song rather than the politics now - or, as Tom has requested, take those discussions to Off Topic?

• Thanks 1

None of us can know that for sure. Either way, the point has been made.

Now let's move on (or this could disappear into a political argument that has little to do with providing useful feedback on the song).

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2018 at 23:51, Ironknee said:

Thanks, in  advance....

-Tom

"That Empathetic Man"

Could I be that homeless face, rung out and old?

~ Instrumental~

On the bombs thrown by fake news

With a finger and a knee……

I really enjoyed this song (was my second favorite). Nothing wrong with a little patriotism at the end. I felt the struggles he was crying out for in the v's (could I and would I) as well as his frustrations. Very well written (it certainly captured my attention and kept my interest) and performed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alistair S said:

None of us can know that for sure. Either way, the point has been made.

Now let's move on (or this could disappear into a political argument that has little to do with providing useful feedback on the song).

Too late.

• Haha 2

No worries on my end. Sorry for the diatribe. I guess I was a little triggered. It is a really good thought provoking song.

Cheers to all. -w

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alistair for simmering the crowd.

It's a song that I was interested in feedback with. I'm not interested in "sparring" back and forth with my song. I know how drawn out these bashings can get. They are futile, and the disagreements always turn nasty....(oh, boy, doesn't that sound fun)!!

A face to face discussion on the current world affairs is where I like to take up the arguing......face to face regulates the discord and abuse.

Anyways......

Thanks for the comments. I certainly did hit the mark.....Just know, that I did take care as to not be "grossly" offensive. This song is meant to be simply a reflection from many of us frustrated with what is going on in our world, today ( but, I think most of you all already "got it").

😎-Tom

Posted (edited)

Hello Ironknee, 

First of all how are things in Hawaii now?  Are you near the action?  Hope all is well with everyone as we wait for that volcano to settle back down. I'm right next to a caldera type volcano, similar  in some ways to Kilauea and they say it's the toxic wave of gases hugging the ground that kill the most. Stay safe. 

As for the song, it reminded me in a positive way of Murphster and my song in the collab contest:  Shoes. In some ways it was like a  second part, or a continuation of the discussion.  An honest answer. 

Shoes was asking can you imagine what it's like to be the desperate would-be immigrant? Can you empathize what it's like to be that man woman or child? I thought your lyric served as an answer (even though it was probably not meant as one) and was pretty damn good. 

Was it Rumi who once said some something along the lines of "Raise your words, not your voice. Because it is the rain not the thunder that grows flowers" ? Sorry if I mangled you Rumi. 

The vocal and the playing was a little Dylanesque, perhaps, to harken us back to Blowin in the Wind, which would be a logical comparison. I think keeping it simple was a good idea. There was one part of the lyric where the vocal level seemed to dip low. I'll have to relisten to find the exact spot.  It might have just been me.  All in all very nice. More so because it seemed heartfelt. 

Edited by kuya
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:41, kuya said:

Hello Ironknee, 

First of all how are things in Hawaii now?  Are you near the action?  Hope all is well with everyone as we wait for that volcano to settle back down. I'm right next to a caldera type volcano, similar  in some ways to Kilauea and they say it's the toxic wave of gases hugging the ground that kill the most. Stay safe. 

As for the song, it reminded me in a positive way of Murphster and my song in the collab contest:  Shoes. In some ways it was like a  second part, or a continuation of the discussion.  An honest answer. 

Shoes was asking can you imagine what it's like to be the desperate would-be immigrant? Can you empathize what it's like to be that man woman or child? I thought your lyric served as an answer (even though it was probably not meant as one) and was pretty damn good. 

Was it Rumi who once said some something along the lines of "Raise your words, not your voice. Because it is the rain not the thunder that grows flowers" ? Sorry if I mangled you Rumi. 

The vocal and the playing was a little Dylanesque, perhaps, to harken us back to Blowin in the Wind, which would be a logical comparison. I think keeping it simple was a good idea. There was one part of the lyric where the vocal level seemed to dip low. I'll have to relisten to find the exact spot.  It might have just been me.  All in all very nice. More so because it seemed heartfelt. 

Hey there Kuya…..sorry for not getting back sooner. Spent the weekend at the beach cabin 😁

Thanks for listening and commenting. And to answer your question as to the volcano......that's occurring on the "Big Island"...I'm on Oahu. Thanks for asking.

And I immediately caught the resemblance when I first heard your song. I had "That Empathetic Man" finished a couple of months ago....just needed to record it. Funny how some things seem to mirror each other. And as far as "Blowin' In The Wind".....well, I'm still searching for mine 😀

Thanks again for commenting!!

😎-Tom

Really like the vibe, guitar sounds good. I'm not into folk music, but this was kinda fine.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kruminsh said:

Really like the vibe, guitar sounds good. I'm not into folk music, but this was kinda fine.

Hey there Kruminsh….glad you like the song. I had given up the notion that anyone else would comment.....after the trolls attempt to muck up the thread.

Thanks.....it means a lot!!

😎-Tom

Alright, so we have a good common life theme in here of the battle of a hardening heart in the face of obstinacy and stubbornness with ideals that go against one's beliefs. That's something people just have to face in life, and listeners will take note. It is definitely harder, takes far more energy, to be patient and "empathetic", and many people do give up, at one time or another if not altogether. This character appears to be doing that. He once believed he was a good, caring person, but in hot intentional irony to the title, he now acknowledges and happily/angrily accepts that he's going to be a jerk to some people and harden his heart against them. It's almost like a low-grade war song. 

The music and singing are both well done. This is a catchy tune, and I think would surely be very popular amongst certain crowds. 

3 hours ago, Moso said:

Alright, so we have a good common life theme in here of the battle of a hardening heart in the face of obstinacy and stubbornness with ideals that go against one's beliefs. That's something people just have to face in life, and listeners will take note. It is definitely harder, takes far more energy, to be patient and "empathetic", and many people do give up, at one time or another if not altogether. This character appears to be doing that. He once believed he was a good, caring person, but in hot intentional irony to the title, he now acknowledges and happily/angrily accepts that he's going to be a jerk to some people and harden his heart against them. It's almost like a low-grade war song. 

The music and singing are both well done. This is a catchy tune, and I think would surely be very popular amongst certain crowds. 

That just about sums it up correctly. I may differ, however, with the position that I would treat someone like a jerk because of their differing opinion from mine. And I still do believe myself to be a good person.

A quick story to illustrate. I empathetically helped this man and his family with some plumbing work that was needed on his residence. Contractors had bids for the job that ranged between 10k and 12k, that I thought was way too high. I was asked to take a look......by my wife. I offered to simply help them with the work, as long as the owner would buy the materials and equipment needed to complete the job ( about a thousand dollars). 

Now this fellow, that I was helping, was bitterly confused with "white guilt". While I was doing the work, he helped with what he could. I gotta tell you, his whole philosophy on his own "white guilt" was debilitating. I was annoyed with my failed attempts to enlighten him, to say the least. But the job was done over the course of two weekends, without so much as an offered lunch (no kidding). 

So with that stated, I don't think it's fair to believe I could be a jerk because of a differing opinion; however, I'm only human.

Tom, 

Your plumbing story reminds me of me and my habit of holding doors open for people. Nine times out of ten someone will say thank you but that one time when they don't I still notice. It still annoys me just a little. Any time I might start thinking "how rude" to myself, I remind myself I'm not so much holding the door open for them as holding it open for me; because I want to live in a world where people are polite and thoughtful and empathetic. Where people hold doors open or otherwise show respect for others, like stopping to listen to a different opinion even though they disagree. Empathy. Do unto others.  That sort of thing. Holding a door takes no effort. 

So if that guy didn't appreciate your help enough to even offer you lunch or their sincere thanks, that says something about him, not you. You probably wouldn't offer him help a second time, but at some point in the future it's possible that he might realize what a tremendous thing you did for him and months or years later truly appreciate it. And say thank you or try to reciprocate. 

Sometimes lessons aren't learned at the exact same time they are taught. It may take a while for some to actually absorb the lesson. I think that's the hope the nuns held onto decades ago when they taught me.  Maybe someday some of this will finally sink in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tom, did you try playing this one out publicly yet? Hit the streets of Waikiki with it? You know, I played out there about five nights a week every week while I was going to UH. Met some great people. I still miss the snorkeling. I loved the water out there, the sea turtles, eels, those big ol' fish with beak-like mouths -- what are they called again? Anyway, yeah, I played so many friggin' gigs out there. Busy times, cool memories. How's the scene now? 

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:59, kuya said:

Tom, 

Your plumbing story reminds me of me and my habit of holding doors open for people. Nine times out of ten someone will say thank you but that one time when they don't I still notice. It still annoys me just a little. Any time I might start thinking "how rude" to myself, I remind myself I'm not so much holding the door open for them as holding it open for me; because I want to live in a world where people are polite and thoughtful and empathetic. Where people hold doors open or otherwise show respect for others, like stopping to listen to a different opinion even though they disagree. Empathy. Do unto others.  That sort of thing. Holding a door takes no effort. 

So if that guy didn't appreciate your help enough to even offer you lunch or their sincere thanks, that says something about him, not you. You probably wouldn't offer him help a second time, but at some point in the future it's possible that he might realize what a tremendous thing you did for him and months or years later truly appreciate it. And say thank you or try to reciprocate. 

Sometimes lessons aren't learned at the exact same time they are taught. It may take a while for some to actually absorb the lesson. I think that's the hope the nuns held onto decades ago when they taught me.  Maybe someday some of this will finally sink in. 

Hey there Kuya……...thanks for chiming. And although it wasn't what I was initially illustrating, I did receive a heart felt thanks. On the surface, all was normal. It was an undertow that I was referring to, one subtle and one that I have never encountered. A point that I did not include, was that when the job was over, as I was cleaning up the mess in his garage, he pulled in with his truck and aske if I could give him a hand with the new BBQ that he just purchased at Home Depot. For only $225 he purchased the grill that he had wanted for some time. No lunch....no monetary offer for my time...…..oh, well. 😋 You know, never think that you have seen it all.....people are surprising. 

As far as realizing lessons we need to learn; for many, I believe similar consequences have to be implemented on them before they fully understand the consequences of their own actions.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:32, Moso said:

Tom, did you try playing this one out publicly yet? Hit the streets of Waikiki with it? You know, I played out there about five nights a week every week while I was going to UH. Met some great people. I still miss the snorkeling. I loved the water out there, the sea turtles, eels, those big ol' fish with beak-like mouths -- what are they called again? Anyway, yeah, I played so many friggin' gigs out there. Busy times, cool memories. How's the scene now? 

Hi M...….the gigging scene out here is dominated with the Hawaiian / Reggae sound. 

But I don't get out that much, other than the occasional midnight dive.

The music is pleasant enough, just not inspiring for me. And besides, I'm a midnight madness kind of songwriter...…..outside a few web-sights, not too many people even know I play guitar. I keep a pretty straight-laced persona in the "real world" 😎

Thanks for asking...….😉

-T

Hey Tom, this was very well done -- your vocals were spot on as usual.  I like the message and thought  that you got that message across in an affecting manner.  Good stuff!

~Allan

• Thanks 1

Tom,

As always a good tune.  Message is very apropos.  We are losing our compassion, understanding, and empathy for each other.  The voice in the song (to me) is troubled or frustrated by what he sees going on around him and is also conflicted by his own feelings as a result of what he sees going on around him.  Whether you agree or disagree with some of the point of view's thoughts, the song and message have an emotional component that should be able to reach any thinking person.

Thanks for sharing something that hits at the heart of each and everyone of us on some level (no matter who we are, how we think, or where we come from). 

Nice job!

Carl

• Thanks 1

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:12, ABull said:

Hey Tom, this was very well done -- your vocals were spot on as usual.  I like the message and thought  that you got that message across in an affecting manner.  Good stuff!

~Allan

Thanks Allan....appreciate it!!

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 13:53, spanishbuddha said:

Tom,

As always a good tune.  Message is very apropos.  We are losing our compassion, understanding, and empathy for each other.  The voice in the song (to me) is troubled or frustrated by what he sees going on around him and is also conflicted by his own feelings as a result of what he sees going on around him.  Whether you agree or disagree with some of the point of view's thoughts, the song and message have an emotional component that should be able to reach any thinking person.

Thanks for sharing something that hits at the heart of each and everyone of us on some level (no matter who we are, how we think, or where we come from). 

Nice job!

Carl

Thanks Carl....

And thanks to all who have listened!

-Tom

Yes, as said above, it is a well written set of lyrics.  It takes a strong person to tackle these kinds of subjects and to "speak your mind",  and music is a very courageous way to do it in, and sometimes is the only way you can get people to listen.  Your vocal performance was top notch.  It fit the theme of the song perfectly.  Love your guitar playing and am very envious.  I have no issues with the production to speak of. It's a great piece as it is.....regardless of whether one agrees or not with what's being said . 

Thanks for sharing

Take care, 

Dominick/Moptop

• Thanks 1

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:07, moptop said:

Yes, as said above, it is a well written set of lyrics.  It takes a strong person to tackle these kinds of subjects and to "speak your mind",  and music is a very courageous way to do it in, and sometimes is the only way you can get people to listen.  Your vocal performance was top notch.  It fit the theme of the song perfectly.  Love your guitar playing and am very envious.  I have no issues with the production to speak of. It's a great piece as it is.....regardless of whether one agrees or not with what's being said . 

Thanks for sharing

Take care, 

Dominick/Moptop

Thank you Dominick.....your comments are much appreciated!

Hi Tom

This is a great protest song and your vocal performance is totally believable.

Well done

• Thanks 1

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 03:40, daryl1968 said:

Hi Tom

This is a great protest song and your vocal performance is totally believable.

Well done

Hey thanks Daryl..........I think the key to a good performance is practice and "believing" in what you write!!!

Thanks for stopping by.

-Tom

It triggers anti-Whites so it is good. It sounds good.

This thread lists complaints about diversity, such as police actions or kneeling, but labels anyone who would therefore want freedom from diversity with anti-White hate slurs, bigot/kkk/White trash/etc. Nothing new.

• Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:13, Barneyboy said:

I really enjoyed this song (was my second favorite). Nothing wrong with a little patriotism at the end. I felt the struggles he was crying out for in the v's (could I and would I) as well as his frustrations. Very well written (it certainly captured my attention and kept my interest) and performed. 

Second Favorite?? C'mon Barneyboy! Who else is writing songs with lyrics that are relevant with todays issues; and more over, who is writing songs that are reflecting the Conservative stand point?? 😋

Which song was your favorite...

6 hours ago, Marc G said:

It triggers anti-Whites so it is good. It sounds good.

This thread lists complaints about diversity, such as police actions or kneeling, but labels anyone who would therefore want freedom from diversity with anti-White hate slurs, bigot/kkk/White trash/etc. Nothing new.

There is a lot of bad out there, and it's gotten into everything.

You brought up diversity. That is a problem that I take particular issue with. Diversity, alone, means NOTHING, without UNITY.

Anyways, I'm glad you like the tune!! And thanks for listening and commenting

And thanks to all who have listened.......

-Tom

36 minutes ago, Ironknee said:

and more over, who is writing songs that are reflecting the Conservative stand point??

Damn near every writer in Nashville ;) 

36 minutes ago, tunesmithth said:

Damn near every writer in Nashville ;) 

Bless their hearts 😁

Really cool country song, sounds like something I hear on the radio... You voice really matches singing country too...I like it.

Well done :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ironknee said:

Second Favorite?? C'mon Barneyboy! Who else is writing songs with lyrics that are relevant with todays issues; and more over, who is writing songs that are reflecting the Conservative stand point?? 😋

Which song was your favorite...

There is a lot of bad out there, and it's gotten into everything.

You brought up diversity. That is a problem that I take particular issue with. Diversity, alone, means NOTHING, without UNITY.

Anyways, I'm glad you like the tune!! And thanks for listening and commenting

And thanks to all who have listened.......

-Tom

Yeah, sorry but Hang on Shep just came out and grabbed me.  Keep writing the truth.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:41, Tjpinkgurl said:

Really cool country song, sounds like something I hear on the radio... You voice really matches singing country too...I like it.

Well done :)

Thanks Tjpinkgirl.............I appreciate it!!

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:05, Barneyboy said:

Yeah, sorry but Hang on Shep just came out and grabbed me.  Keep writing the truth.

😉

😎-Tom

On 08/05/2018 at 08:51, Ironknee said:

Thanks, in  advance....

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Your song is beautiful, very well sung and played (your voice is really nice) , well written and composed. I was surprised by all the controversy around it, because personally I have no difficulty whatsoever in relating to the lyrics.

There might be a little something to add to make your song really  moving though. 

Listening to it , we know what you are not  anymore, but the question is : what are you then?  Where does your lack of empathy lead you? Does it make you  kill people  during your free time? Or on the contrary to love your daily casual life more?  To spend more time with your children? I'm not talking about some philosophical epiphany that you should bring to the world, but even something small could explain all that. It will enable the listener to feel empathy with your song's character.

To make myself a bit clearer I would refer to another song about a man who lost his illusions and in which Otis Redding says that he 's now just watching the tide roll away, wasting time. That's not a lot, but it makes him more human, more real. Now we can relate to him. And that's probably the best line of his song.

But  you obviously don't need my advice to write a good song. My appreciation for this one increases every time I hear it, so these were just some ideas in case they can be of use to you.

14 hours ago, Zeligovitch said:

Hi Tom,

Your song is beautiful, very well sung and played (your voice is really nice) , well written and composed. I was surprised by all the controversy around it, because personally I have no difficulty whatsoever in relating to the lyrics.

There might be a little something to add to make your song really  moving though. 

Listening to it , we know what you are not  anymore, but the question is : what are you then?  Where does your lack of empathy lead you? Does it make you  kill people  during your free time? Or on the contrary to love your daily casual life more?  To spend more time with your children? I'm not talking about some philosophical epiphany that you should bring to the world, but even something small could explain all that. It will enable the listener to feel empathy with your song's character.

My lack of empathy only leads me to shutting off, and to not pay any more attention to the psych-babble of the non-sense du jour .. And although it appeals and resonates with some... I find it to be more of a distraction to what I believe to be most important..... (real) poverty, (real) hunger, (real) illness,

(real) homelessness.

To make myself a bit clearer I would refer to another song about a man who lost his illusions and in which Otis Redding says that he 's now just watching the tide roll away, wasting time. That's not a lot, but it makes him more human, more real. Now we can relate to him. And that's probably the best line of his song.

And that is a fine song, but why shouldn't I write a song from my own perception, and in my own way. O.R. has a great song, but, I'll never achieve great while writing like everyone else. I concentrate with writing about me, and the many people I talk with. The controversy that was building around my song was from those that did not want to accept any explanation with concerns to the song. They merely wanted to jump to their already-made-conclusions, and label it as a hate song from a conservative. This is a song that tries to relate the frustrations of a man who is finding it increasingly hard to take the time to listen to all this whining and bellyaching, and then to be asked to take it seriously.

But  you obviously don't need my advice to write a good song. My appreciation for this one increases every time I hear it, so these were just some ideas in case they can be of use to you.

Thanks for your input and your perspective............😎 And thanks for the ideas, as well!!!

And thanks to all those who have listened!!

😎 -Tom