Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ironknee

"That Empathetic Man"

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone....just a recent tune to reflect the times. I would love to hear your thoughts, and first impressions are most welcome!

Thanks, in  advance....

                                            -Tom

"That Empathetic Man"
Words & Music by Tom Tognaci


https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13724069


Could I walk a hundred miles, on the soles of broken shoes?
Could I lose everything I ever had to lose?
Could I sleep aside a road?
Could I dream shivering cold?
Could I be that homeless face, rung out and old?

I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But as this Country now bemoans
White guilt and comfort zones….
It’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

~ Instrumental~

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But using kids to lite the fuse
On the bombs thrown by fake news
Yea, it’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

Would I stand, could I face, those hateful hearts of stone?
Could I practice what I preach when I stand alone?
Could I kick the man (that’s) down?
Or, would I help him off the ground?
Would I show mercy when the tables turn around?

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But, berate this great Country,
With a finger and a knee……
You aren’t going to find that empathetic man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2018 at 01:51, Ironknee said:

Hi everyone....just a recent tune to reflect the times. I would love to hear your thoughts, and first impressions are most welcome!

Thanks, in  advance....

                                            -Tom

"That Empathetic Man"
Words & Music by Tom Tognaci


https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13724069


Could I walk a hundred miles, on the soles of broken shoes?
Could I lose everything I ever had to lose?
Could I sleep aside a road?
Could I dream shivering cold?
Could I be that homeless face, rung out and old? Good set up verse, sets a tone. After that, you lost me.

I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But as this Country now bemoans
White guilt and comfort zones….
It’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

~ Instrumental~

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But using kids to lite the fuse
On the bombs thrown by fake news It's hard to be empathetic condoning mass killings, but your negative response does just that.
Yea, it’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

Would I stand, could I face, those hateful hearts of stone?
Could I practice what I preach when I stand alone?
Could I kick the man (that’s) down?
Or, would I help him off the ground?
Would I show mercy when the tables turn around?

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But, berate this great Country,
With a finger and a knee……Condoning shootings of unarmed black people or profiling is a thinly veiled nod at bigotry.
You aren’t going to find that empathetic man

Hi I

 

  It's a free country I guess....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Hi I

 

  It's a free country I guess....

 

 

Well, RNR......sorry you don't "get it". I'm am pleased that you took the time to listen and comment, however. I think if you were to reach way down inside, just to lower the volume on all the Left and Right clamor, you might begin to understand where I'm coming from. It seems that the noise being generated is sponsoring this great divide. The ideals that I grew up empathizing with are no longer pondered.....or discussed. It seems we have new priorities. Ones, I just can't relate with.

 

And yes.....it's a free country. That's one of those ideals I grew up understanding and appreciating.

                                                                                                😎-I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ironknee said:

Well, RNR......sorry you don't "get it". I'm am pleased that you took the time to listen and comment, however. I think if you were to reach way down inside, just to lower the volume on all the Left and Right clamor, you might begin to understand where I'm coming from. If you watch Fox propaganda alt right news, then I can understand the song to a tee.

 

It seems that the noise being generated is sponsoring this great divide.I guess when we are openly hearing from factions like the KKK and White nationalist groups, it does tend to start a buzz, doesn't it? And when they get the presidents dog whistle blessing, it becomes alittle unsettling. 

 

The ideals that I grew up empathizing with are no longer pondered.....or discussed. What is being argued is that it's not okay to arrest a black man and then either shoot him in cold blood or strangle him to death instead of arresting him and booking him at the station like any white trash would be at least dignified the honor to go through.

It seems we have new priorities. The "new" priorities are basically reminding us that the "old" priorities that we thought were being met are not being met anymore or worse, being reversed.

 

Ones, I just can't relate with. Being white makes it easy not to relate. If you have ever been pulled over for a traffic violation, does the thought that you might be looking at two officers with their guns drawn yelling at you to get out of the car ever happen? If you are white, this thought never enters your mind.

 

And yes.....it's a free country. That's one of those ideals I grew up understanding and appreciating.

                                                                                                😎-I

Hi I

 

    Yes, it's a free country. Ignorance is bliss too, until you start asking questions.

😉-J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Hi I

 

    Yes, it's a free country. Ignorance is bliss too, until you start asking questions.

😉-J

Jim....you need to take a cold shower. Take your arguments to the azz holes vs azz holes section of this forum!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And on that note, let our latest race-to-the-bottom begin ;) ...on your marks, get set, GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Iron knee. I think your song strikes a strong chord that listeners can either relate with, or possibly be triggered by...

 

In a way, this is a good sign that it invokes emotions and reaction. I didn't listen to your song through the ears of the left or right, took it more as a personal cry from just a guy, that represents a lot of growing frustration in the world. But I can see how it possibly steps into the great political debate.

 

IMO I think America will be a lot better, realistic and open to non emotional discussions, when we break this "dweedle dee vs dweedle dum" binary system. We are currently only sheep choosing one side of the cage or the other, while the system continues to shove their two terrible candidates down our collective throats.

 

In any event, I'm sure R-N-R has his reasons for his reactions, but I personally didn't hear anything offensive.

 

@R-N-R Jim For what it's worth:

 

59 minutes ago, R-N-R Jim said:

If you watch Fox propaganda alt right news, then I can understand the song to a tee.

Fox news is fake news, CNN is fake news, every main outlet bends their headlines to their political leaning. "Trump is starting WWIII with North Korea" vs "Trump should get a Nobel peace prize" It's pretty ridiculous, how far the outlets are bending to their stories, and how the readers agree or disagree depending on their personal slant.

58 minutes ago, R-N-R Jim said:

I guess when we are openly hearing from factions like the KKK and White nationalist groups, it does tend to start a buzz, doesn't it? And when they get the presidents dog whistle blessing, it becomes alittle unsettling. 

I do not believe there are fascists or bigots building in masses. I don't think the KKK is any more influential currently then ever. In fact, I have seen a healthy decline in the idiotic notion that skin color or culture has a damn thing to with anything. I can believe what the news says, or I can believe what I see with my own eyes. I grew up in east Tennessee (ultra red) and lived in Northern California (ultra blue), my daughter is bisexual, and my best friend is an orthodox muslim from Pakistan. In my circles, I'm just Wade, she is just Madison, and he's just Omar. We're all different, and that's cool.  In all my dealings, I have not met anyone that was an asshole bigot or fascist or KKK member. They're out there, but I can assure you, there numbers are thankfully dwindling.

 

My only personal experience with racism was when an Hispanic woman started screaming at me in San Jose because I was white and couldn't understand. As much as I tried to have a good conversation, and reassure her that I don't believe in racism, I think everyone should have the same opportunities, etc... but she (and others at the protest) didn't want to discuss what they and I were feeling, they wanted to scream and throw out that I was born a racist, I am a fascist and my white privilege blinds me from the truth. If you ask anyone that knows me, that's the furthest from an accurate description of me. I had no other option then to shut up and walk away. I really don't see where all this anger and blind rage is going to help. If anything, it divides us more. Breaks my heart.

 

1 hour ago, R-N-R Jim said:

What is being argued is that it's not okay to arrest a black man and then either shoot him in cold blood or strangle him to death instead of arresting him and booking him at the station like any white trash would be at least dignified the honor to go through.

It seems we have new priorities. The "new" priorities are basically reminding us that the "old" priorities that we thought were being met are not being met anymore or worse, being reversed.

I think everyone decent (both sides) agree bad cops are bad, and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. We should prosecute without prejudice. I don't hear anyone arguing otherwise. I certainly didn't hear that in this song. I assumed the ideas he grew up on, were along the lines of "don't tread on others", "treat your neighbor with respect" and "don't judge a book by it's cover". All of which are getting tested, scrutinized and lost in todays social climate.

 

1 hour ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Being white makes it easy not to relate. If you have ever been pulled over for a traffic violation, does the thought that you might be looking at two officers with their guns drawn yelling at you to get out of the car ever happen? If you are white, this thought never enters your mind.

Actually this did enter my mind when I was in college and had a beard, and a pony tail to the middle of my back. Four of Knoxville's finest, pulled me out of the car at gun point, and kept smacking me with their night stick. Ironically, one of the cops was black, and he was one the biggest azzholes in the bunch. They let me go with a warning (even though I had not done anything wrong). The overreaching police state is an issue that's been around since I can remember. But, thankfully the rise of cell phone and body cameras, has started to help keep them accountable. I wish that I had a camera back then, but was the olden days :)

 

"being white makes it easy not to relate" isn't that... racist? Assuming something because of the color of my skin. What if I said "being black makes it hard to understand"? Sound racist to me.

 

There are issues that we need to address, from racial profiling to cops being Nazis. But yelling at each other with hot words and profanity is not going to help. Also, being triggered so harshly to a great song that a man wrote from his heart and his vantage point, illustrates one of the biggest issue in this country. We can never come together, if everyone either starts each discussion being defensive, or alternatively people can't voice their feelings, so they stop talking and just walk away.

 

Anyway. Great song.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a well-written and well-performed - and honest - song. I think the point that some listeners won't share the viewpoint of the singer has been made already (and likely won't come as a surprise to Tom, anyway!). Some will, of course.

 

Let's focus on the song rather than the politics now - or, as Tom has requested, take those discussions to Off Topic?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of us can know that for sure. Either way, the point has been made.

 

Now let's move on (or this could disappear into a political argument that has little to do with providing useful feedback on the song).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2018 at 23:51, Ironknee said:

Hi everyone....just a recent tune to reflect the times. I would love to hear your thoughts, and first impressions are most welcome!

Thanks, in  advance....

                                            -Tom

"That Empathetic Man"
Words & Music by Tom Tognaci


https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13724069


Could I walk a hundred miles, on the soles of broken shoes?
Could I lose everything I ever had to lose?
Could I sleep aside a road?
Could I dream shivering cold?
Could I be that homeless face, rung out and old?

I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But as this Country now bemoans
White guilt and comfort zones….
It’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

~ Instrumental~

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But using kids to lite the fuse
On the bombs thrown by fake news
Yea, it’s getting hard to be that empathetic man

Would I stand, could I face, those hateful hearts of stone?
Could I practice what I preach when I stand alone?
Could I kick the man (that’s) down?
Or, would I help him off the ground?
Would I show mercy when the tables turn around?

Yea, I once was known as a man who gave a damn
The kind of guy who would strive to understand
But, berate this great Country,
With a finger and a knee……
You aren’t going to find that empathetic man

I really enjoyed this song (was my second favorite). Nothing wrong with a little patriotism at the end. I felt the struggles he was crying out for in the v's (could I and would I) as well as his frustrations. Very well written (it certainly captured my attention and kept my interest) and performed. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alistair S said:

None of us can know that for sure. Either way, the point has been made.

 

Now let's move on (or this could disappear into a political argument that has little to do with providing useful feedback on the song).

Too late.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries on my end. Sorry for the diatribe. I guess I was a little triggered. It is a really good thought provoking song.

 

Cheers to all. -w

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Alistair for simmering the crowd.

It's a song that I was interested in feedback with. I'm not interested in "sparring" back and forth with my song. I know how drawn out these bashings can get. They are futile, and the disagreements always turn nasty....(oh, boy, doesn't that sound fun)!!

A face to face discussion on the current world affairs is where I like to take up the arguing......face to face regulates the discord and abuse.

Anyways......

Thanks for the comments. I certainly did hit the mark.....Just know, that I did take care as to not be "grossly" offensive. This song is meant to be simply a reflection from many of us frustrated with what is going on in our world, today ( but, I think most of you all already "got it").

                                                                                                                😎-Tom

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ironknee, 

        First of all how are things in Hawaii now?  Are you near the action?  Hope all is well with everyone as we wait for that volcano to settle back down. I'm right next to a caldera type volcano, similar  in some ways to Kilauea and they say it's the toxic wave of gases hugging the ground that kill the most. Stay safe. 

         As for the song, it reminded me in a positive way of Murphster and my song in the collab contest:  Shoes. In some ways it was like a  second part, or a continuation of the discussion.  An honest answer. 

          Shoes was asking can you imagine what it's like to be the desperate would-be immigrant? Can you empathize what it's like to be that man woman or child? I thought your lyric served as an answer (even though it was probably not meant as one) and was pretty damn good. 

          Was it Rumi who once said some something along the lines of "Raise your words, not your voice. Because it is the rain not the thunder that grows flowers" ? Sorry if I mangled you Rumi. 

            The vocal and the playing was a little Dylanesque, perhaps, to harken us back to Blowin in the Wind, which would be a logical comparison. I think keeping it simple was a good idea. There was one part of the lyric where the vocal level seemed to dip low. I'll have to relisten to find the exact spot.  It might have just been me.  All in all very nice. More so because it seemed heartfelt. 

Edited by kuya
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:41, kuya said:

Hello Ironknee, 

        First of all how are things in Hawaii now?  Are you near the action?  Hope all is well with everyone as we wait for that volcano to settle back down. I'm right next to a caldera type volcano, similar  in some ways to Kilauea and they say it's the toxic wave of gases hugging the ground that kill the most. Stay safe. 

         As for the song, it reminded me in a positive way of Murphster and my song in the collab contest:  Shoes. In some ways it was like a  second part, or a continuation of the discussion.  An honest answer. 

          Shoes was asking can you imagine what it's like to be the desperate would-be immigrant? Can you empathize what it's like to be that man woman or child? I thought your lyric served as an answer (even though it was probably not meant as one) and was pretty damn good. 

          Was it Rumi who once said some something along the lines of "Raise your words, not your voice. Because it is the rain not the thunder that grows flowers" ? Sorry if I mangled you Rumi. 

            The vocal and the playing was a little Dylanesque, perhaps, to harken us back to Blowin in the Wind, which would be a logical comparison. I think keeping it simple was a good idea. There was one part of the lyric where the vocal level seemed to dip low. I'll have to relisten to find the exact spot.  It might have just been me.  All in all very nice. More so because it seemed heartfelt. 

Hey there Kuya…..sorry for not getting back sooner. Spent the weekend at the beach cabin 😁

Thanks for listening and commenting. And to answer your question as to the volcano......that's occurring on the "Big Island"...I'm on Oahu. Thanks for asking.

And I immediately caught the resemblance when I first heard your song. I had "That Empathetic Man" finished a couple of months ago....just needed to record it. Funny how some things seem to mirror each other. And as far as "Blowin' In The Wind".....well, I'm still searching for mine 😀

Thanks again for commenting!!

                                                             😎-Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×