Any Prince fans in the house? How does this sound in terms of 1.) mix quality and 2.) performance quality. Thanks!

It's very good. Great voice!

If I was to be really picky, I think you need some more work on the bass lines (just here and there - I know there are some but sometimes they don't feel like real bass, more like electric guitar or keys) - and the snare snaps need a bit more in-between them (I think I'm missing the hi-hats, maybe).

But that IS being picky!

Well done :)

Alistair, really glad it passes your test! I do NOT lightly decide to cover Prince.

If I'm not mistaken though - doesn't the original use fake electronic bass too? Prince did all the instruments on a Fairlight synth, save for the guitar obviously. Or does that sound like a real bass in the Prince version? And for the snares, do you just mean more fills? Because I actually mirrored the snare beat off the original (it's very sparse and has surprisingly few snare fills).  

Not sure on the original. I listened to this as a standalone. You could well be right about the bass. 

No, I don't think you needs more fills - the snare is fine as it is and complexity would spoil it! Maybe it is just some gentle hi-hat, here and there, in-between. Not sure. Please don't dwell on that, though! I was likely listening too hard for suggestions to make and I think you did a wonderful job - and I'm no expert on drums, believe me! 

Hopefully, someone with better ears than I can provide more useful feedback. 

V e r y cool !

Were it not for Alistair's earlier comments I wouldn't have brought this up, but I can't help wondering how it might sound with...

• a slightly shorter decay rate on the snare...I'm wondering if that same wide decay is creating minor timing discrepancies in a few spots. 
  • the addition of a subtle, off-time high-hat on the "&" counts (8th note counts), 4-per-measure...really quiet, almost to the post of ghosting

Other than those insignificant curiousities,

• The entry line of vocal sounded a tad bit pitchy
  • When the additional instrumentation enters at the 1:45 mark, your vocals lost their dominant position in the mix. At least it sounded that way on my monitors ;) ...perhaps other will chime & add their perspectives.

Overall, really nice job ! Enjoyed it very much!

Tom 

Just to be clear, when I referred to minor timing discrepancies in my earlier comment, I was talking about points at which instrument timing sounded less-than-perfect

They were not big issues, but my brain picks up those types of things, so I figured I'd mention 'em.  :blush:

Tom

1 hour ago, tunesmithth said:

Just to be clear, when I referred to minor timing discrepancies in my earlier comment, I was talking about points at which instrument timing sounded less-than-perfect

They were not big issues, but my brain picks up those types of things, so I figured I'd mention 'em.  :blush:

Tom

Haha, thanks for clarifying that before I started on a wild goose chase! While were on nitpicks, by "timing issues" is there a particular spot (lyric) that stands out? Also, exactly what do you mean by "pitchy"? Is there a specific note/lyric that sounds off? 

Check out the Prince original and tell me what you think of his pitch on that first line - I am curious to know what your ear hears  link here

Also, exactly what do you mean by "pitchy"?

Either flat or sharp of the intended pitch, but not dead-on.

For the sake of full disclosure, I've never heard the Prince version of this, so my comments were strictly based on what I heard in your version.

Unfortunately, the system I'm on right now won't allow access to the link you included, so I'll have to check it out later.

Tom

It's an awesome cover version of this song. That much is plainly obvious. And it is worth noting that while I am not really an expert in recording like some of the folks here I thought there was something not quite right with the snare. I would trust Tunesmith when he says less decay, as I wouldn't know how to explain it properly. I would just say it just doesn't sound right to me, too light almost.

My only question would be why? 

If this is just an exercise in re-creating that song for learning purposes then I guess that is a good exercise to do. But if your aim is to tribute the song by recording a cover then I would much rather hear your version of it. If I wanna hear the original I am just going to listen to that.

I have heard a live version of it by Muse, which stayed too close to the source material for my liking. The only cover I have heard that was a proper recording was by "Simply Minds" and that at least, while starting similar, did find its own style and ended up sounding like a Simple Minds version of a U2 version of a Pink Floyd cover of it. 

I am personally not a huge fan of covers that don't at least try to make a song better, regardless of the fact most of them fail, at least they had a go, especially with Prince, who is a hard man to better. 

I would love to hear an original cover of this. But don't that let take away from what an awesome job you did here. I certainly couldn't produce anything close to this good.

Cheers.

Simple Minds:

1 hour ago, Murphster said:

It's an awesome cover version of this song. That much is plainly obvious. And it is worth noting that while I am not really an expert in recording like some of the folks here I thought there was something not quite right with the snare. I would trust Tunesmith when he says less decay, as I wouldn't know how to explain it properly. I would just say it just doesn't sound right to me, too light almost.

My only question would be why? 

If this is just an exercise in re-creating that song for learning purposes then I guess that is a good exercise to do. But if your aim is to tribute the song by recording a cover then I would much rather hear your version of it. If I wanna hear the original I am just going to listen to that.

I have heard a live version of it by Muse, which stayed too close to the source material for my liking. The only cover I have heard that was a proper recording was by "Simply Minds" and that at least, while starting similar, did find its own style and ended up sounding like a Simple Minds version of a U2 version of a Pink Floyd cover of it. 

I am personally not a huge fan of covers that don't at least try to make a song better, regardless of the fact most of them fail, at least they had a go, especially with Prince, who is a hard man to better. 

I would love to hear an original cover of this. But don't that let take away from what an awesome job you did here. I certainly couldn't produce anything close to this good.

Murph,

Sounds like you're a true Prince fan - to have your approval means a lot. I was a bit confused though - did you think my cover was in the "too much like the source material" category? Do you think my cover upgrades the original in any way? (I feel arrogant even asking such a thing about a Prince track). My goal was to make a slightly heavier, more in-your-face take on Prince's original - but I still wanted to retain that dark, naked funkiness of the original. That's funny you mention the Muse version is too similar to the original, because I feel like it's way too heavy/loud and takes all the funk out of it (the most critical part IMO).  I'm a big Muse fan, but very much dislike their SoT cover.

"Simple Minds version of a U2 version of a Pink Floyd cover of it" - made me laugh! Very true! It basically sounded like a different song. The rhythm and funk of the original is almost non-existent, which is the main problem with so many SoT covers (in my opinion of course). I'm sort of the opposite on covering legendary works - I prefer the original be treated like a classical composition and not f'ed around too hard with.

Regarding the snare, the impression I'm getting is that it sounds good - just could be better?

I think it is just one of those things that come down to personal preference. I rarely try to do a cover, to be honest it is because I don't consider myself a performer, just a writer. I play other people's songs on my guitar but just for myself and even then I always try to inject something of me in there.

My preference for a cover song is actually a totally different interpretation of a song. And while they very rarely are as good as the original, that to me at least isn't really the point. I want them to have an ambition to better the original, or at least do something so different it cannot be compared to the original. 

YouTube has kind of ruined that because of the sheer number of 15 year old girls who play guitar and sing beautifully doing folk accoustic covers of Heavy Metal songs. But apart from that I think there is a lot of genius in a really clever cover version. 

Again, your song is excellent. I wish I could do that to be honest. But you clearly have enough talent there to do something different with this song and that is what I would rather hear!

Cheers.