I thought she understood

I miss her more than she will know

I wish she missed me too

I know I can’t - have one more chance

So, A beer will have to do

CH

Lowenbraus or Dos Equis

I’ll drink both quite happily

I see you got some Guinness draught (draft)

Please pour me out a spot of that

Pabst Blue Ribbon, Rolling Rock

Narragansett, Dopplebock

I’m not picky ‘bout my beer

Hey, what’s he drinking over there?

BR

I never cheated

I never lied

I did my best

I really tried

Now it's quite clear

I’ve loved my beer

But never more than her

No, never more than her

Of that I’m….fairly sure

Just one ain’t gonna cut it

I might need two or three

Prob’ly need a whole lot more

If she divorces me  

A shame I have to settle for

This smooth and tasty brew

I know I can’t - have her to love

So, a beer will have to do

Ch

Coors, Budweiser, IPA

Carlsberg, Lone Star, Tecate

Peroni, Presidente, Pearl

Red Stripe, Bass, St Pauli Girl

Yuengling (yingling), Tsingtao (Cheengdow), Tiger, Sol

Amstel Light, Dortmunder Gold

Modelo, Harp and Wild Blue

Maybe some Hobgoblin too

I know I can’t – have her tonight

A beer might see me through

Yeah, a beer or two will do

Original:

Wrote this pretty quickly this afternoon and looking for suggestions and criticisms before the hard work begins. 

A Beer Will Have to Do

I’ve felt this kind of cold before

Bones have memories

She’d say I need a warmer coat

As if they grow on trees

Some days, I’m never giving up

Sometimes, I just get through

Of all the things I need tonight

A beer will have to do

I left because she couldn’t stay

We'd been that way a while

Truth is, I can’t blame her much

But there never was a trial

I miss her now, she missed me then

The irony's not new

Of all the things I could’ve done

A beer will have to do

Br

I’ve avoided self-reflection

Resisted introspection

I watched the colors fade to grey

I waved them on, said that’s okay

So, don’t pity me for pity’s sake

I sowed the seeds of my own fate

I have a tab I’ll never pay

Good whiskey through the years

Drank before the roof caved in

And life fell in arrears

This one's a special brew

Of all the drinks I’d drink tonight

A beer will have to do

Yeah, a beer will do just fine

Hi J

Im gonna have to ask Alistair if this site needs to go on the wagon. :) All of these drinking songs springing up.

Story line and plot were certainly well thought out. Other than the bridge, most of it came off singable. I say this because your verses seem natural because you finally threw away the rhyming dictionary and made the lines more conversational. The only hiccup was the bridge. Why you felt compelled to rhyme out the bridge after pulling off the rest of the lyric without rhyming I found to be a curious move.

Over all I found it probably the easiest lyric to read that you have written in a long time.

cheers

R-N-R Jim

1 hour ago, jonie said:

A Beer Will Have to Do ( I LOVE the concept/hook! Sometimes that's most important part of writing a song, I think. And some really nice lines!)

Bones have memories

As if they grow on trees

A beer will have to do

She left because she couldn’t stay  (So it seems like HE is the one out in the cold. Maybe "I left because she couldn't stay.")

She’d felt that way a while

She’s getting what she’s due (Rhyming "due" with "do"? And again, he's the one out in the cold so maybe "I" instead of "she".)

A beer will have to do

Br

I avoid most self- reflection

Learned to hide from my detection (So that's why you're not elaborating on the story-line with this bridge? Maybe a little self-reflection would actually be appropriate. What does he need tonight? What things could he have done?)

I carved and drove in my own stake (So he's cold, he's lonely, and it's his fault. This bridge is ok, but maybe some imagery? If he's homeless, how did he get the beer?)

And life fell in arrears  (good line!)

A beer will have to do

50 minutes ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Why you felt compelled to rhyme out the bridge after pulling off the rest of the lyric without rhyming I found to be a curious move.

You puzzle me, sometimes, Jim. Don't you see the rhymes throughout the lyric? The whole thing is full of rhymes.

4 minutes ago, Alistair S said:

You puzzle me, sometimes, Jim. Don't you see the rhymes throughout the lyric? The whole thing is full of rhymes.

Hi Alistair

Some arent as obvious or over blown.  I didnt feel I was totally wading through a Dr Seuss-athon.lol  To her credit she toned them down quite abit.

1 minute ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Hi Alistair

Some arent as obvious or over blown.  I didnt feel I was totally wading through a Dr Seuss-athon.lol  To her credit she toned them down quite abit.

You're on your own on this one, Jim. It all looks pretty standard to me. Maybe you just wanted to make a point.

3 minutes ago, Alistair S said:

You're on your own on this one, Jim. It all looks pretty standard to me. Maybe you just wanted to make a point.

Hi Alistair

Okay, maybe "years" and "arrears" was abit of a reach. But I wanted to let her keep some artistic merit. :)

55 minutes ago, jazzraptor said:

A Beer Will Have to Do ( I LOVE the concept/hook! Sometimes that's most important part of writing a song, I think. And some really nice lines!)

Bones have memories

As if they grow on trees

A beer will have to do

She left because she couldn’t stay  (So it seems like HE is the one out in the cold. Maybe "I left because she couldn't stay.")

She’d felt that way a while

She’s getting what she’s due (Rhyming "due" with "do"? And again, he's the one out in the cold so maybe "I" instead of "she".)

A beer will have to do

Br

I avoid most self- reflection

Learned to hide from my detection (So that's why you're not elaborating on the story-line with this bridge? Maybe a little self-reflection would actually be appropriate. What does he need tonight? What things could he have done?)

I carved and drove in my own stake (So he's cold, he's lonely, and it's his fault. This bridge is ok, but maybe some imagery? If he's homeless, how did he get the beer?)

And life fell in arrears  (good line!)

A beer will have to do

Thank you for the great suggestions. I've incorporated most of them into a quick rewrite. I think the bridge is a work in progress. Always the hardest nut for me. I've shied away from addressing his current living status. He could be homeless but doesn't necessarily have to be, does he? Is there something in the verses to suggest that he is except for the fact that he's obviously a bit down on his luck? Do you think it would add to the lyric to have him homeless? If so, the bridge would definitely be the place where I can pin that down.

Anyway great feedback and much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Hi Alistair

Hmm, can't rightly recall when I've written a Dr Seuss-athon. You might be thinking of Alistair. :lol:  But, at the risk of exposing my poor memory, I have linked my soundclick site below. i haven't been writing much these last few years, nor have I visited the site for a good long while but I'll let you take a gander and show me where my rhyming has been the downfall of any song I've participated in. 

For me, rhymes are a necessity. They hit my ear like a cotton cannonball and make a song all that much more enjoyable. I can appreciate if you consider rhymes a nuisance or, fail to have them excite your ears. To each his own. Either way, have at it. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=927657&content=music

"Is there something in the verses to suggest that he is (homeless) except for the fact that he's obviously a bit down on his luck?"

Not explicitly, but . . . he's so cold, comparing with the coldest he's ever felt -- "bones have memories" (Love that line, too, btw.)

If he was in a bar with a beer, he'd probably be a tad warmer? 

5 minutes ago, jazzraptor said:

"Is there something in the verses to suggest that he is (homeless) except for the fact that he's obviously a bit down on his luck?"

Not explicitly, but . . . he's so cold, comparing with the coldest he's ever felt -- "bones have memories" (Love that line, too, btw.)

If he was in a bar with a beer, he'd probably be a tad warmer? 

I think I'm okay with leaving his current residence, or lack thereof, up in the air if everyone else is good with it.  As his coldness is partly due to his emotional state, he could be in Florida and still feel the chill of loneliness and despair. He's not of course. He's somewhere truly cold so yeah, he could easily be homeless as well. 

37 minutes ago, jonie said:

Hmm, can't rightly recall when I've written a Dr Seuss-athon. You might be thinking of Alistair. :lol:  But, at the risk of exposing my poor memory, I have linked my soundclick site below.I read through the first three and they are loaded with rhymes. Way too much for my pallet,but that's your comfort zone. I prefer less rhymes in my writing. To each his own. :)

i haven't been writing much these last few years, nor have I visited the site for a good long while but I'll let you take a gander and show me where my rhyming has been the downfall of any song I've participated in. If your collaborators are happy with your lyrics, that's all that matters here.

For me, rhymes are a necessity. They hit my ear like a cotton cannonball and make a song all that much more enjoyable. I can appreciate if you consider rhymes a nuisance I consider them handcuffs to creativity.

or, fail to have them excite your ears.I use them sparingly, but I do use them.  To each his own. Either way, have at it. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=927657&content=music

Hi Joni

It's safe to say our lyrical leanings differ quite abit. If anything, I offer a viewpoint as you did with my lyric which is fine. What's the catch phrase here these days? Keep or sweep? :) I just appreciate that you took the time to read the lyric for what it's worth.

just my two cents worth

R-N-R Jim

I accept all viewpoints as valid to their owner, Jim and appreciate you're taking the time to offer yours.  However, I think I'll be sweeping the viewpoint that suggest my lyrics have historically been a Suessfest and that this one somehow succeeds because you couldn't locate the rhymes in the verses. But you and jazzraptor inspired me to revisit the bridge and though it could probably do more heavy lifting, I think it's better than it was. So I thank you for that. 

11 hours ago, jonie said:

Wrote this pretty quickly this afternoon and looking for suggestions and criticisms before the hard work begins. 

A Beer Will Have to Do

Bones have memories*******

As if they grow on trees****** yes, these two lines have a very subtle rhyme here. But they are not successive like your bridge.

Sometimes, I just get through******

A beer will have to do************* Again, subtle rhyme scheme here, but every other line. It was refreshing to see this in your writing. It was almost as if there wasn't a rhyme going on at all.

We'd been that way a while********

But there never was a trial********* I wasnt a fan of the word trial and wasnt quite sure of the reference.

The irony's not new************

A beer will have to do**********Again, very casual, conversational. At this point only 8 out of the 16 lines have any hint at a rhyme scheme,thus making it less of a poem and more of a singable lyric.

Br

Resisted introspection

I sowed the seeds of my own fate And then well...this, this is where the lyric bogs down for me. The rhymes seem forced and contrived. It lacks the flow you had going with the verses.

Good whiskey through the years******

And life fell in arrears***************Not a fan of the word or how it would sing.

This one's a special brew*********

A beer will have to do************again, being every other line, the rhyme scheme didnt come across as a limerick jam session.

Hi Joni

As I had mentioned before, I found that you used alot more restraint rhyme wise compared to your earlier works. Though the bridge still resorts back to the style you prefer to write. Again, I'm not writing the music for this lyric, so maybe another melody writer might see things your way if it gets to that stage. Good luck with the lyric, I think it has potential after you get done with the rewrites.

cheers

R-N-R Jim

Good story, Joni. Tight write. The changes in the interim have improved it. 

After reading the lyric a couple of times, I feel V2 is stronger than V1. In fact, I think V2 would make a better starting verse, and – also chronologically and logically - it flows easily into the V1 text.

I hope the comments below are useful. Keep or sweep 'em. ;)

A Beer Will Have to Do

Suggest making this V2.

Bones have memories Great line.

As if they grow on trees

Some days, I’m never giving up I feel this line could be stronger. Maybe something like ‘Some days I swear I won’t give up’. And it’s a stronger contrast to the line that follows.

A beer will have to do

Suggest making this V1. 

I left because she couldn’t stay I love the play with meaning in lines 1 & 5. Clever! And line 1 would make a great first line to start the lyric with.

But there never was a trial  Intriguing implication. Possibly he's being metaphorical/hyperbolic here, or is referring to the darker fact of abuse. Perhaps re-think the line.

The irony's not new

A beer will have to do

Br It sounds as though self-reflecting/introspecting is exactly what he is doing.

Maybe something like (just an example), 'Wasn't big on self-reflection'/Never went for for introspection'. To me, this adds an extra element of pathos, because had he indeed examined his behaviour, things might have turned out differently.

Resisted introspection

So, don’t pity me for pity’s sake  Is ‘So’ necessary? To me, it seems to weaken the line.

And life fell in arrears

I’ve felt this kind of cold before A great line. I wonder if it might have more impact if you were to make it line 1, as in the other verse. Of course, this would involve some rearranging. Or - maybe better - don't repeat the line at all, but go for something else equally dramatic.

A beer will have to do

Hi Jonie

What an excellent hook :)

A few suggs below - KOS..

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 12:04, jonie said:

A Beer Will Have to Do <- great title/hook

Bones have memories <- seems a tad abstract for a beer song maybe "It chills my memories"

As if they grow on trees

Some days, I’m never giving up <- these two lines could set up the hook better. What is the beer replacing that he needs/wants to do?

A beer will have to do

I left because she couldn’t stay <- this line needs some thinking and there is no space to think with it being the 1st line of verse

Truth is, I can’t blame her much <- maybe "she can't be convicted"

But there never was a trial <- "and there never..."

I miss her now, she missed me then <- again needs thinking on the listeners part with no space to think

The irony's not new

A beer will have to do <- sounds like the beer is now doing things he could have done - is that what you want?

Br

Resisted introspection

I sowed the seeds of my own fate <- excellent bridge IMO - good change of meter and perspective

And life fell in arrears

This one's a special brew <- "An old familiar brew" (he's felt it before)

A beer will have to do

Donna, Jim and Paul,

Thank you all for some really great suggestions and things for me to consider as I go through the rewrite process.  I like the hook a lot but I can see now, thanks to your insights, that I haven't done it the justice it deserves. Off for rewrites!

Ok, I threw my hands up in frustration trying to rewrite this into something legitimate, so I went in the opposite direction.  Of course, the verses are set up to be sung as the maudlin, stereotypical pop-country pabulum they are, until the chorus, which couldn’t care less what the verses were up to. Getting all those brands of beer in was a fun challenge. New version posted at top 

Of that I’m….fairly sure

Now that is gold :)

I like the rewrite - good focus on the hook and building up to it.

I know I can’t hold her tonight

:)

Paul

Hi Jonie
      Well written lyric but maybe a little too well written

"I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink"
    Merle Haggard

Too many beer labels
Think I'll just smoke some weed?

On 4/7/2018 at 11:04, jonie said:

A Beer Will Have to Do

She told me we were over

Here, I thought we were fine

I guess she just got tired

Of being last in line

I might have been neglectful but

I never was untrue

I know I can’t - have her tonight

Hmm, let’s see…..

CH

Stout or lager, pilsner, ale

Irish, German, dark or pale

Corona with a lime in it

Might even try that micro shit C'mon! Alot of small brewers have a couple beers that are far and above better the national brewers.:o

Michelob or Miller Lite

Moosehead makes me feel alright

Stella, Molson, San Miguel

I’ll have a Heinie, what the hell Kind of a silly chorus, I couldnt imagine trying to remember all those brands.lol

I tried to make her happy There is nothing in the first verse or chorus that would make you think this.

I gave her what I could

She knew I had a hobby  

I thought she understood

I miss her more than she will know There is nothing in this lyric that says you will.

I wish she missed me too

I know I can’t - have one more chance

So, A beer will have to do

CH

Lowenbraus or Dos Equis

I’ll drink both quite happily

I see you got some Guinness draught (draft)

Please pour me out a spot of that

Pabst Blue Ribbon, Rolling Rock

Narragansett, Dopplebock

I’m not picky ‘bout my beer

Hey, what’s he drinking over there?

BR

I never cheated

I never lied

I did my best There was no bar established.

I really tried Nothing indicates this.

Now it's quite clear

I’ve loved my beer

But never more than her

No, never more than her

Of that I’m….fairly sure Bridge doesnt say anything new.

Just one ain’t gonna cut it

I might need two or three

Prob’ly need a whole lot more

If she divorces me  

A shame I have to settle for

This smooth and tasty brew

I know I can’t - have her to love

Ch

Coors, Budweiser, IPA

Carlsberg, Lone Star, Tecate

Peroni, Presidente, Pearl

Red Stripe, Bass, St Pauli Girl

Yuengling (yingling), Tsingtao (Cheengdow), Tiger, Sol

Amstel Light, Dortmunder Gold

Modelo, Harp and Wild Blue

Maybe some Hobgoblin too

I know I can’t – have her tonight

A beer might see me through

Yeah, a beer or two will do

Original:

A Beer Will Have to Do

Bones have memories

As if they grow on trees

A beer will have to do

The irony's not new

A beer will have to do

Br

Resisted introspection

And life fell in arrears

A beer will have to do

Hi Joni

Version 2 was way too long. Though I thought the approach to the chorus was catchy. The story of a guy being rather semi blase' about his marriage doesnt quite hit the empathy meter enough to feel the fun or sense of whimsy that I think you were attempting in the chorus. The escapism angle is fine and the plot of giving something up for the other has some traction...but...normally, no one goes out of their way to marry an alcoholic unless they are one themselves.

Now, had you made his wife some domineering over the top bitch that he finally had enough of, well...now you have the cause and affect angle more defined.

just my two cents worth

R-N-R Jim

21 hours ago, R-N-R Jim said:

Hi Joni

Version 2 was way too long. Though I thought the approach to the chorus was catchy. The story of a guy being rather semi blase' about his marriage doesnt quite hit the empathy meter enough to feel the fun or sense of whimsy that I think you were attempting in the chorus. The escapism angle is fine and the plot of giving something up for the other has some traction...but...normally, no one goes out of their way to marry an alcoholic unless they are one themselves.

Now, had you made his wife some domineering over the top bitch that he finally had enough of, well...now you have the cause and affect angle more defined.

just my two cents worth

R-N-R Jim

My goodness, lighten up. It's a joke lyric. It surely wasn't looking to elicit any empathy. :lol: Sort of my way of saying that the world has enough navel-gazing, "boo hoo, my baby left me" drinking songs. My original fell into that category so I gave it the treatment it deserved. 

And, he's not an alcoholic. He just likes his beer, a little more than he liked her, though he was careful not to actually admit it. :P

Sorry you didn't like it. I'll try harder next time. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonie said:

My goodness, lighten up. It's a joke lyric. It surely wasn't looking to elicit any empathy. :lol:Chuckle chuckle, yes, I did get a sense of that...but then again was the bridge needed then?

Sort of my way of saying that the world has enough navel-gazing, "boo hoo, my baby left me" drinking songs. My original fell into that category so I gave it the treatment it deserved. No, I did get a sense of a care free "love me or leave, who gives a rip" but to call it a hobby? I guess that's where the plot falls off for me. It's just missing something...oh well...maybe the music might compensate for whats missing.

And, he's not an alcoholic. He just likes his beer, a little more than he liked her, though he was careful not to actually admit it. :P This may be true, but it would appear he hits the bar for happy hour every day..like the character setting I have for "Drink To Forget". ;)

Sorry you didn't like it. I'll try harder next time. ;) Subject wise, it's probably one of the better one's you've attempted write.:D

Hi Jonie, 

I'm a little late to this party but I really like what you've got.  I have to admit I got a little indignant when you said micro shit (I'm just getting a nanobrewery started) but upon further reflection, a lot of it is gimmicky kind of shit. 

You covered a lot of territory naming all those breweries. Some of the finest breweries in the world but an awful lot of crap mentioned too. As the character says, he's not picky.  Whatever makes him hoppy. 

I can hear this one quite clearly on the same jukebox as Paul's 'When this bottle let's go of my hand'.  Good company indeed!  Very enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Wow, now that's a re-write! Totally different song now -- from moody desperation, to a comedy piece. I like it!

I got stuck the same place as Kuya: micro shit? Every real beer drinker I know loves the micro-brewery "shit"! (But hey; it's a song.)

The song now reminds me of a (departed) friend's play on Johnny Cash's "I've been everywhere" called: "I've had every beer". From 4:05 . . .

• Thanks 1

She told me we were over                 She told me , It's over      

Here, I thought we were fine             When   I thought  we were fine

I guess she just got tired                   Guess she just got tired               

Of being last in line                          Of being left behind

I might have been neglectful but        I might have been neglectful

I never was untrue                           She can blame me for that

But not, for been untrue
I know I can’t - have her tonight         Yet she's giving up on me

So, a beer will have to do                   So, a beer will have to do