• Announcements

• Alistair S

Collaboration Contest Scoring   18/04/18

Some great songs in the Collab Contest! Please see Other Contests and let me have your scores (instructions in the thread) by 28 April!    

Interesting information, Tom. I enjoyed your instrumental sections. Very appealing.

Regarding 'Light My Fire': I love Jose Feliciano's version. And although the song was only about three-and-a-half minutes long, he managed to fit in a lovely instrumental interlude. 

My regular collaborator (Billy, in England) also includes a nice instrumental solo in most - maybe all - of our songs.

(As an aside: For the most part, the 'Light My Fire' lyric is OK, but I've always detested that horrible 'wallow in the mire' line; not only is it purple-prose cliché - it doesn't connect to the lyrical story at all. The writer was clearly fighting hard to find a rhyme for 'fire'. :P )

• Thanks 1

I wholly concur with the general sentiment - I'm liable to drive off the road in a fit of rage every time I hear the neutered version of Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" - but it's amusing that you chose "Light My Fire" to illustrate the point.  That is the rare example of a song where I consider the edits to be an improvement.  I've always thought the interludes sounded like poorly rehearsed noodling.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

but it's amusing that you chose "Light My Fire" to illustrate the point.  That is the rare example of a song where I consider the edits to be an improvement.  I've always thought the interludes sounded like poorly rehearsed noodling.

Tough to argue with that ;)

It just happened to be the first well-known example I recall...also one of the most blatant.

Back in my early band days, every local band played a version of that tune. It was one of "those" songs :rolleyes:

That being said, most local keyboard players slaughtered the organ solo, but that was par for the course. :P

Below is one of those "local bands" I referred to, with me behind the drums (age 14).

That's a homemade strobe light on the floor in front of the bass drum LOLololol....

5ab6907949b33_The13thAnnualPlumbersConvention-earlyyears(age14-15).thumb.jpg.dfa80bdd16d891e1d5edd31f524d4638.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to view this, or comment...much appreciated !

Tom

BTW this video is part of a larger playlist called "Arrangement 101".

Five videos in all...here's the playlist link if anyone's interested -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe0D5HSvsFIfSjCsemsL9qRC3Gea6-M0L

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting stuff Tom. I'm learning every time I visit this place. I'm no musician but I am fascinated by the different philosophies each of you guys adhere to. Great learning place.

Dan 

• Thanks 1