Alistair S

Collaboration Contest Discussion

I finished up my scoring this morning. Man, was that a chore. Not the listening part or the jotting down notes part. Only the scoring part. 

I hated having to leave so many great songs out of my scoring. 7 songs all in the same bottom bucket that are anything but equal.  Next time, I hope the moderator of the contest allows us to at least rate/rank them on their own.

4 of the 7 songs I was forced to leave there were certainly of the same quality as those I put in my 2nd tier of 3 and some of those in that tier, were as good as those I put in my 1st tier. I had to choose though and possibly made decisions that I would change on another listen through.  Given the chance, I would also have had a 3 way tie for 1st. My final decision on that one, where all other aspects were relatively equal in my mind, came down to the quality of the production and its across the board musical and lyrical originality. 

I know that there is less motivation to bring musicians and lyricists together unless there is some competitive aspect to it, but I would honestly have preferred to simply listen, enjoy and communicate my thoughts on each song rather than have had to rank them against each other as well.

At the end of the day though, I'm quite glad to have had the chance to be part of it all. 

10 minutes ago, jonie said:

I would honestly have preferred to simply listen, enjoy and communicate my thoughts on each song rather than have had to rank them against each other as well.

I agree. I enjoyed the listening and jotting down my thoughts part of this contest. And of course I enjoyed the songwriting part. The only part of the contest I didn’t enjoy was the scoring part. After reading all the above comments unfortunately I don’t feel I spent nearly enough time on the scoring. I just quickly picked the songs to get it done after listening while I knew I had the time. 

I was originally going to ask for groups of 4 rather than groups of 3. In other words, I was going to ask you for your winner, the next 4 and the next 4 (rather than the winner, the next 3 and the next 3 as we have now).

I changed it to from 4 to 3 when a team dropped out, thinking it would be easier for voters. In fact, I think it made it harder! My mistake - sorry! - but we can't change it now :(  

I think people do want their scores - if only to get an idea of whether they had a mixture of "love" and "bleh" responses or all middling responses, for example. That said, I do agree that the discussions and feedback will be the most interesting part!

However, in this case, in particular, I don't think anyone should be disappointed if they don't place highly (it may just be that they were well-liked by everyone but only just failed to get on the scorecard for a number of voters!)

To give an insight on how voting looks, 6 different songs - with most votes still to come - have already received the "winner" vote - almost half! All but two of the songs have been voted in the top 4 and EVERY song has been left unplaced by some voters. Obviously, tastes and opinions vary wildly!

When the scores come out, as stated earlier in the thread, they will look something like this (except with values entered, prettier and (hopefully) with no deductions!). The columns will show how many votes each song received in that category (Best Song, 2nd-4th, 5th-7th and unplaced). If there are any deductions, they will be shown so that you can check the total.

Team Lyrics Music Song Best  2nd to 4th 5th to  7th Unplaced Deducted Total
Kuster Kuya Murphster Shoes 0 0 0 0 0 0
Spider SpanishBuddha Dinorider Sole Mates 0 0 0 0 0 0
TriffidWolfe Songwolfe Triffid Footprints in the Snow 0 0 0 0 0 0
IronAndy Ironknee AndyLeF Lost in a Thought 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mobody Tracy Somebody Moso Crocodilly Lilly 0 0 0 0 0 0
Duck DonnaMarilyn PaulCanuck Coyote 0 0 0 0 0 0
Jotto Jonie Scotto Lucky Man 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 4 Rock 14Music Onewholovesrock In My Shoes 0 0 0 0 0 0
Cluda Clemo Dan Barracuda Walking Shoes 0 0 0 0 0 0
Peek Peko Oswlek Indecision 0 0 0 0 0 0
Quart ART1108 Quintin Penola You Better Believe 0 0 0 0 0 0
Tymed Ty Cobb syl_a_med Walk a Mile 0 0 0 0 0 0
Lyres Lyrical The S Dancing Shoes 0 0 0 0 0 0
Barron Barneyboy Neuroron I Ain't Looking Back 0 0 0 0 0

8 minutes ago, Alistair S said:

However, in this case, in particular, I don't think anyone should be disappointed if they don't place highly (it may just be that they were well-liked by everyone but only just failed to get on the scorecard for a number of voters!)

There will be disappointment anyway. There always is. But we're all adults somewhere on the songwriting journey who can and should accept that there are always better songs and better songwriters. While we are improving, so is everyone else. That and the fact that I am unfathomably small in comparison to the size of the universe continues to put things in perspective for me. 

24 minutes ago, jonie said:

But we're all adults

Hey!  Speak for yourself!  :)

1 hour ago, Oswlek said:

Hey!  Speak for yourself!  :)

I'm fairly new to this adult thing myself. Just trying it out where I can. 

So far, I think it's pretty overrated and who knows, I might be first in line at Disappointment Camp. 

I think this thing called adulthood is more full of pretense of being an adult, all the while the actual meaning of being an adult is overlooked or missing. :P 

Overrated is appropriate. :) 

I'm pretty sure my daughter is an adult. I can hear her now - "You treat this house like a 5-star hotel!" - "Do you have to play your music SO loud?".

I'll ask her :)

Mind you, she usually just rolls her eyes gives me a pitying look when I engage in such conversations. 

Hi Alistair 

Are we aloud to vote for our own entry please 

1 hour ago, Clemo said:

Hi Alistair 

Are we aloud to vote for our own entry please 

As already mentioned, of course not! :)

54 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

And better judges!  :)

GIGO

28 minutes ago, jonie said:

GIGO

It's Dave, he might respond better to GFY.  :lol:

24 minutes ago, Oswlek said:

It's Dave, he might respond better to GFY.  :lol:

I save that for the judges. :)

Well my votes are in. I had 4 potential winners after the first listen with no really idea how I was going to separate them. In the end it was probably arbitrary nonsense but I managed to picked one.

There were songs that I wanted to stop taking notes and thinking about to just listen and enjoy. That made voting that much harder lol

Great job everyone!

My vote is in. It was as difficult as I thought it would be. I have taken notes on all entries which is quite a new thing for me, but I like the idea. And will at least provide feedback on all songs, even if I cannot provide extra points.

Shame that some songs that deserve extra points ain't gonna get them from me, but hopefully someone else will. Great bunch of songs, and some really fantastic ideas here. 

Around half of the votes in now - and 9 different songs have been voted as the winner by at least one person. Nine. Out of fourteen (and still a lot of votes to come).

Almost every song has been voted in the top 4 (it will likely end up as every song receiving a top 4 vote) - and every song has been unplaced by multiple people! A lot of the placings are very tight too.

The choices are difficult! I'm really not sure how I would vote and I keep changing my mind (I'm not voting, but I can't help wondering how I would). The final placings will be based on tiny preferences, I think, and I suspect the comments will give more useful feedback than the scores will.

Just submitted my votes. My gosh, what a challenge! Every song has something great going for it. And the lyricists clearly brought their best game to the table. :)

I scanned the songs quickly a few days ago, and thought I knew already which ones would be in my top seven. After closer listens today, though, I’ve had to do some reshuffling. I found too that making notes as I listened was useful in helping me decide.

Piuh! First run through finished. I've got my potential 7 including a winner...but...I'm going to hold on to 'em for awhile, let all of those great songs sink in and who knows, after a few more days the order might change?!?! :)

But I have to agree with many of you, it hasn't been easy, not one bit.

There are parts and elements that I like/love in every song. Be it lyrics, music, a verse, b-section, vocals, arrangement, chords, instrumentation, playing etc etc. There's something to love in all of them.

Sigh. I'll give it a few more days, we'll see. B)

BOOM......Done!

A good bunch of songs....ESPECIALLY, when considering the nuances of a collaboration.

Good luck to all, and to all the best!

-T

I've listened a few times during the week and my scores have held steady.  Picking a winner and general tiers wasn't that hard, my difficulty was that it didn't align great with Alistair's scoring tiers.  For me, I had a top one, a close second, three followers and three or four from there.  If there had been a "runner-up" category I would have been fine, but without it trouble ensued.  :)

Update: with 6 votes to go (plus any more non-contestant voters), 9 songs have received at least one "winner" nomination and every song has been placed in the top 4.

I *think* I know who the winner will be (but there is time for that to change still) but the next 9 songs are too close to call, with the order changing with every new set of votes.

It's a tight one!

14 hours ago, Alistair S said:

It's a tight one!

That’s what she said! 

(Sorry, I’m a sucker for “That’s what she said” jokes. They’re popular in my neck of the woods)

Just waiting now to announce the results tomorrow - maybe one or two votes to come or that may be it.

It looks as if we have a clear winner! Yay! 

Beyond that, it gets a bit blurry, which reflects the sheer quality of the entries, in my view. It's all good! Eleven songs have each received a vote as "winner". That's amazing. And EVERY song has been voted in the top 4.

This is one of the best contests I can remember here on the Muse and you should all be very proud. 

Alistair,

Thanks so much for putting in the time to get this contest together, greatly appreciated.  Sorry for waiting until the last day to put in my scores, but I had to listen and re-listen to all of the entries to make sure I gave all of the talented contributors their proper due.  IMO, the top three separated themselves, in no particular order, but i agonized over spots 4-13, so many good tunes, each with their own unique qualities.  I don't think there are any 'losers' in this contest, only winners of varying degrees for having taken part in the process.  IMO this collab contest represents the unique opportunity this site offers those willing to put in the effort to improve their own craft, and benefit from the talents of the communal effort,  a rising tide raises all ships!   

Kudos to all the participants and congrats in advance to the winners.

Thanks again for putting in the effort to see this contest though.