Alistair S

Collaboration Contest Discussion

Yes! I'm blown away by some of the entries so far - and there are more to come!

It's like Christmas :)

23 minutes ago, Alistair S said:

Yes! I'm blown away by some of the entries so far - and there are more to come!

It's like Christmas :)

Lots of shoes, must be a shoe sale.

There are still nine more entries to go, right? People are getting mighty close to that deadline! I's a figured we'd have more by now. 

Don't worry yet!

Some will be finalising and some will come in at the last minute. I envisage people with ear fatigue sitting there right now ..

"I think that cut at 150Hz should be 1db deeper and I should tweak the Q"

"Hey! Let's try that multiband compressor on this pristine mix!"

"If I just widen the mix by 2%, put a small high shelf on the side and EQ the mid to reduce the bass, it will all open up, shimmer and be awesome!" 

"Maybe that backing vocal needs just a wafer thin slice more reverb!"

They'll post :)

Mind you, there are at least two teams that I know may struggle. One had the musician immobilised with back pain for a while and the other may have some artistic differences that have been hard to negotiate. And there are others who may not make it.

I'll enquire in the next day or so (behind the scenes). I am out for much of the day on Sunday in any case, so an extra day could be offered fairly easily if it is needed.

Let's see :)

20 minutes ago, Alistair S said:

I envisage people with ear fatigue sitting there right now ..

FWIW, Patty and I posted already and that's still a fairly good description of myself.  Thankfully Soundcloud allows me to surreptitiously slide in mix updates.  :)

5 minutes ago, Oswlek said:

Thankfully Soundcloud allows me to surreptitiously slide in mix updates.  :)

That's part of the pay service, right? I'm not allowed to do it that I see. 

13 minutes ago, Moso said:

That's part of the pay service, right? I'm not allowed to do it that I see. 

Yes.  It's worth it for me because I'm a perpetual knob twiddler and it was painful to have to delete the trivial amount of activity my songs get with every update.  

We're pretty much done but I'm trying to give it a light master. I know I have the time so I'm taking it to just make sure and give this a whirl. The contest helps me learn and this is part of that journey. I'll probably give my ears a rest here and give it one last try tomorrow. Worst case scenario I'll just post the mix as it is pretty solid. Best case I get the mastering figured out without sacrificing too much. Right now the master seems to improve some things but takes away some others that we liked about it. No worries though. We'll make it for sure and the only reason we are probably noticing these things is because we've been listening to it for an extended period of time. Someone coming to it for the first time probably wouldn't even notice what I'm on about... 

1 hour ago, Alistair S said:

Don't worry yet!

Some will be finalising and some will come in at the last minute. I envisage people with ear fatigue sitting there right now ..

"I think that cut at 150Hz should be 1db deeper and I should tweak the Q"

"Hey! Let's try that multiband compressor on this pristine mix!"

"If I just widen the mix by 2%, put a small high shelf on the side and EQ the mid to reduce the bass, it will all open up, shimmer and be awesome!" 

"Maybe that backing vocal needs just a wafer thin slice more reverb!"

They'll post :)

Mind you, there are at least two teams that I know may struggle. One had the musician immobilised with back pain for a while and the other may have some artistic differences that have been hard to negotiate. And there are others who may not make it.

I'll enquire in the next day or so (behind the scenes). I am out for much of the day on Sunday in any case, so an extra day could be offered fairly easily if it is needed.

Let's see :)

Oooooh thanks for the tips!! I'm trying all of those... ;)

42 minutes ago, Scotto said:

Oooooh thanks for the tips!! I'm trying all of those... ;)

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I'd have to repost. I guess nothing wrong with that, necessarily... 

35 minutes ago, Moso said:

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I'd have to repost. I guess nothing wrong with that, necessarily... 

There's still time! Really though I am done mixing. It's all over but the crying lol 

I don't like mixing, personally. It's such a time hog and just not that interesting to me. I mean, I love the "creative" aspects that tend to get bundled with "producing", but the audio engineer details I prefer to hand to someone else if I can. Well, if I can sit in the background with a cocktail and backseat drive like I'm some somebody, lol. But really, last thing I enjoy doing in the music making process is that of making a bunch of tiny changes, bounce to disc, move to my smartphone and run around playing it on other systems and in cars, etc., only to run back to my comp and repeat and repeat the process. 

So that's a "waah" from me. lol

Yeah I agree. I mean I like mixing when it works out quickly... just never seems to do that. Though this particular song has not been too bad at all. Mastering is a whole different animal. So I try to wear that hat too I guess. I barely touch it though. Might as well use LANDR for as little as I actually do to it... 

I'm in a trio and we like to pay for studio time and get someone who knows what they are doing every now and again. It gets expensive though so we save up our live $$$ and usually just record a few at a time. Maybe once a year. Heck I think we're over due at this point... 

Team Lyres is...ahum...making progress, but the way this is going I'll be done approximately 20 sec to midnight Saturday!!! 

And this is all on me, it has nothing to do with Lyrical, he's done a superb job and provided me with a lyric that I just loved. No, I'm the one freaking out here!!!! Hehe!

Ah well, no time to loose, back to work!

Great stuff so far, keep 'em coming.

On 4/12/2018 at 05:54, Alistair S said:

In case you miss it, Team Cluda have their entry posted too (it is the first post in this thread and was previously hidden)

Whoa! Sneak attack genius! They got in there before the thread was even created!! 

(Btw, did you hear that Chuck Norris punched his way out of the womb ten months early?)

OK - I'm extending the deadline a little.

One team had their musician struck down with back pain for a chunk of the available time and - while they are now making progress - the current deadline isn't really achieveable. There are a couple of others that didn't really get going until quite late or could use a little extra time too. 

The new deadline will be Wednesday 18 April (get your submissions in any time on that day and I will start scoring on Thursday 19 April). This gives people the weekend to get their song "finished" and still a couple of days to review with their collaborator and tweak. It also gives a little more tweaking time to everyone else! :)

I think I will also give you a little longer to get your scores in. So, I will start scoring on Thursday 19 and give everyone until the end of Friday 27 to get their votes to me - and announce results on Saturday 28.

Just reading through this thread again from the beginning.  This feels like a real community with really wonderful people in it.

8 minutes ago, Peko said:

Just reading through this thread again from the beginning.  This feels like a real community with really wonderful people in it.

Yes, we've gotten very good at faking it.  At least, I have.

No, Justin, you're not fooling anyone here. We all KNOW that the apparent thoughtfulness of your critiques is just a pose and the apparent emotion woven throughout songs like Your Life is polyester compared to everyone else's silk.:blink: We  just put up with you! :P

Damn, I didn't realize I was that transparent.  :(

On 12/04/2018 at 20:13, Moso said:

Whoa! Sneak attack genius! They got in there before the thread was even created!! 

(Btw, did you hear that Chuck Norris punched his way out of the womb ten months early?)

Moso said - Chuck Norris punched his way out of the womb 10 months early!

Does that mean Chuck Norris is not fully formed?

22 minutes ago, Clemo said:

Moso said - Chuck Norris punched his way out of the womb 10 months early!

Does that mean Chuck Norris is not fully formed?

Nah, man - he was ultraformed. In that "what was before the Big Bang?" kinda way :P 

Just a couple more to go!

I know one team won't make it but most have - well done!

I will check in the morning and start scoring, so I hope the "last-minuters" make it! I guess it all depends what time I get up - but they have until at least 2am EST and maybe later :) 

psssst.... Hey, S, there is another thread for posting the songs.  :)

Don't worry - I'll copy it across if The S doesn't! :)

Ha! Of course I'd go and do something like that...in the 11th hour and all!!! :P

I'm on it!

Thanks O!

Just to confirm the scoring rules... our own song would be among the seven that are not in our personal top halves, right?  We exclude that and six others?

Yes - you cannot vote for your own song! :)

I'll put that in the instructions!

Alistair, just for clarity: We don't place our own song in any of the three sections?

In other words, we don't touch it with a barge pole (as in the Lyrics and Songs contests)? ;)

Exactly!

By the way, I am aware there is an issue with one of the song links but we are working to fix it (so you may all want to hang fire until later today!)

I've heard them all, did I get lucky or is this a recent issue?

Not sure - someone reported it to me and I can't check properly as I'm at work. I have heard them all, but didn't have time to check all the links this morning before I headed out.

Today I listened to and scored the songs. Towards the end I started wondering about the correct way to score these songs. A couple songs sounded Fantastic! Amazing vocal ability was probably the biggest reason for this. And also a good recording production capturing this performance. These vocalist/musicians could sing yabadabado over and over again and it would probably still sound fantastic. The songs they are singing are not any better than other songs in the contest. A good possibility some are even lesser songs in my opinion. But if asked what songs I would want to listen to I would pick the great sounding vocalist/musician with a great production. They just sound good. I usually do my best and try voting on the songs themselves. Music, lyrics, structure, etc. I think I’m pretty good at acknowledging good songwriting. But if I put what I think is a great song recorded with a lesser vocalist and lesser production next to a basic song with outstanding  vocals and production that sounds amazing. What is the better song? The basic song with a great vocalist and production because it’s something I can listen to outside of the contest? Or the song I think lyrically, structurally, creativity  is much stronger but after listening the one time it doesn’t sound good enough to listen to outside of the contest. I’m starting to think maybe I should vote on what sounds good. After all that’s what music is about. They don’t put mediocre sounding songs on the radio. It doesn’t matter what kind of songwriting it had. Production and vocal performance are probably the most important part of a song. Songwriting a bit lower on the list. Anyway. I don’t really care about the scoring in these contest. I like the listening and feedback part. Just thoughts I had while listening and scoring today. 

Great sounding stuff can also be great songwriting too, of course - but you are right, how the song is sold can matter as much as the basic material. There is no getting around that (but we will all score trying to discern the song behind it).

Sometimes, volume can count too. I always try to use my volume knob to make sure I listen to every song at the same volume and then I try to imagine the song performed as it could  be. 

We will never know the process people use to vote. I'm quite often surprised by the votes that come in but remind myself that people may not share my prejudices and are entitled to their own :)

51 minutes ago, Alistair S said:

We will never know the process people use to vote. I'm quite often surprised by the votes that come in but remind myself that people may not share my prejudices and are entitled to their own :)

I hear ya. Today I tried scoring by best song. But in the end I couldn’t ignore the great sounding songs performance and production wise. My #1 was my favorite song. Great vocals, great production, and something I would listen to again and again. But I don’t think it was the best song. If this person recorded every song in this contest himself it would be a great frickin album that’s for sure. But the song I voted #1 for would then be different. All in fun anyway. Just thoughts. 

Yeah, it's tough. There are some here who, just like you said, are so damn good naturally with just a 1+1 that you can pretty much put anything in front of them and it's gold. Others have to work a little harder for it. It's difficult to say "who's best". Hell, we can't. It's just not quantifiable. So we just say who we appreciate somewhere in that field of talent, experience, and plain old hard work. This is part of the reason why what I really like most in these is the after discussion, not the ratings. 

EDIT: I typed out more notes on this comp than I have for any other, which was because I was trying to keep in mind that each song had by definition two people working respective ends. Two people who may have never met or known each other. So I gave that extra attention when thinking about the songs. As far as how that may have affected my voting, I am a "music first" listener, I think, so I did try to make sure to listen to the lyrics with the music and reflect on how well they complimented each other. I can't say I know how far this affected any of my votes, however. I'm also going to sit on my votes for a bit before turning them in. 

EDIT2: Ah, and being my first collab comp, I've found getting to know my partner and writing with her to be the peak of the whole thing. That is without a doubt what really made this the best, comparable to the other comps I've been in. I think I have a soft spot for collab comps now. Yeah, I definitely do. 

Agreed. We need to run it through but the real "win" is the experience and the discussion, I think!

7 hours ago, Moso said:

EDIT2: Ah, and being my first collab comp, I've found getting to know my partner and writing with her to be the peak of the whole thing. That is without a doubt what really made this the best, comparable to the other comps I've been in.

Moso has been extremely gracious about working with me, but let me assure you he had to put up with alot ;)

I seem to remember an initial Haiku suggestion of mine that had to be gently put to bed :o:blush:.

To my collab pardner Moso -

I have never had as much fun with a song in my life and the lowest common denominator is certainly not me :wub:.

I'd love to share some more of our journey now, but I will wait until after the votes. 

Thank you to Alistair for this amazing experience👍🎼📝🎵🎤🎸🎹🎺🎻🎷🎧

lol   <-- because I forgot how to swim

Who is dis is? Somebody, is that you? 

5 hours ago, Tracy somebody said:

👍🎼📝🎵🎤🎸🎹🎺🎻🎷🎧

^^ That, btw, is the best song on the comp. Just gotta figure out how to vote for it.... 

Just did my first listening run through and what a great bunch of songs. I love these collab contests. Anything that gets me off the couch (I swear my feet are on the floor!). 

Had an great time working with Jonie and had so much fun with her vocals. We had a great time with this thing. I couldn't ask for a better partner. Song ready lyrics out of the gate. oooh la la!!!  (sorry I'll show myself out) ;) 

While early days, the scoring is all over the place (in a good way!) - which, to me, speaks to the quality of the entries and the difficulty people are having in separating them! I'm glad I'm not voting! 

Listened to all the songs in one listening session today. It was like finding a compilation album in a bargain bucket that proves to be full of gems. 

Really impressed by the creativity and quality of the music and lyrics. Good work all although it did make the scoring hellishly difficult! 

Finally managed to select my top picks but I think everyone's a winner in this contest. :)

It's not that easy at all to be honest.

I do know which is my top pick at least, as it just keeps getting better each time I listen to it which is always a good sign. I would go as far as saying it is the best song I have heard from anyone on this site before. 

But as for the next six songs? I am gonna need to listen and think some more. Very hard to seperate any of them.

I will be honest and say there is always at least one or two songs in the contests that I immediately know are not going to get my top marks, usually just because they are so far away from what I would usually choose to listen to. But here there isn't a single song that doesn't deserve to be in my shortlisted tracks. Impressive.

I think Wolfe said it well. A compilation album full of absolute gems. While the contest should have a winner, I hope Alistair can post results in such a way that there is no last place finisher.  My personal preference. 

Sorting out these songs is very difficult. Very. I've listened to them all many times.  There's a lot of talent on display here. 

Great bunch of songs. What a mix of genres and styles - quality!

Now to decide - but it's soooo hard! :)

Fab bunch of songs; all so different and - very difficult to score the different styles and genres as a result :blink:.

Would certainly make a great Muses Songwriters collab compilation album 2018 - in fact, think I 'cut' one for my self for future reference - before the song links start breaking after the scoring has finished.B)

Very interesting to see the many ways teams approached the "some link to foot ware" and song structure Alistair suggested. I noticed that some teams even took him up on the "don't feel constrained" idea as well! :P

Agree with Kuya here:

11 hours ago, kuya said:

I hope Alistair can post results in such a way that there is no last place finisher.

Maybe show the top three songs and, if anyone is interested, have the scoring table sent to them directly by PM?  Any other thoughts...?

Great job all teams - have really enjoyed the multiple listens. :)

Andy