We haven't had a collaboration contest for a while so I thought I'd test the water to see who would be interested.

The way it works is this:

1. You post on this thread if you are interested in taking part, stating whether you would like to enter as a lyricist or as a musician. Please only step up if you are going to be present and will participate - it's very frustrating for your partner if you go AWOL! Also, you must be willing to collaborate, which can mean flexing for your partner and certainly means some discussion.

2. I pair lyricists with musicians to make up the teams.

3. I set a challenge - something that provides some constraints but allows for flexibility too - and we agree deadlines.

4. There will be a thread to discuss progress and anything else about the contest, and there will be a separate thread to post final versions - this will be opened towards the end of the contest timeline.

5. Everyone votes and "winners" are announced. 

Of course, we do need musicians and lyricists in equal numbers, so I can't guarantee a place for everyone, but we will do our best!

We'll see how this progresses, but I would expect the contest to run through March and possibly end after Easter - but we can flex according to the needs wishes of those entering!

If you have any questions, just ask! Otherwise, if you are interested, please post below. 

In so far (I will update periodically):

Murphster - Music

Kuya - Lyrics

Scotto - Music

PaulCanuck - Music or Lyrics

Jonie (who she?) - Lyrics

Ironknee - Lyrics

Iggy - Music or Lyrics 

Clemo - Lyrics

Lyrical - Lyrics

Tracy Somebody - Lyrics

Onewholovesrock - Music or Lyrics

DonnaMaArilyn - Lyrics

SpanishBuddha - Lyrics

DinoRider - Music

Triffid - Music

Andy LeF - Music

Moso - Music

14MUsic - Music or Lyrics

Dan Barracuda - Music

Songwolfe - Lyrics

Waiting a little longer to see who enters, but we may need to cut the numbers unless we get more music-creators.

Hmmm.. I don't consider myself a musician really, though I would definitely say my strengths are more in the writing music and melody than the words. So would ideally love a joint effort in actuall playing /production with someone who can write a nice lyric too. I am a bit of a hack really.

But a good idea, it would be fun I think, and who knows maybe it could lead to writing a great song.

Maybe I am just a Milli waiting for his Vanilli...

• Haha 1

If you have the ability to play something and record it, you can be a musician in this context! 

But I think you are being over-modest!

I am interested as a lyricist. 

In as a musician... 

Been working on my recording lately and getting my chops back. What little there was... This would be very helpful. 

In as a lyricist. 

I'm in as a lyricist.........well, a writer of words, anyways!! B)

I'm in for lyrics or I suppose music.....though I prefer lyrics...

iggy

Count me in please as a word writer

much thanks

mike

I hope a bunch more music writers climb on board. I can sit this out if there aren't enough, since I've been doing a number of collaborations on FAWM this month. But if enough musicians sign up, then count me in.

Thanks for doing this Alistair. I love these collaboration contests -- it's really cool to see what everyone comes up with.

--Doug

BTW, who is that Jonie person? ;)

7 hours ago, jonie said:

In as a lyricist. 

IMPOSTOR!

I'd like to participate as a lyricist, but I always feel guilty like the musician might have preferred someone else. So if anyone volunteers to work with me I'd feel a lot better about it.

Actually it is looking a bit congested with lyricists, so I'm happy to sit this one out😊

I could probably do it as a musician or lyricist. As a musician I’d only be recording a live acoustic/vocal performance with my phone like I usually do. So that would have to be ok. 

If there's too many lyric writers, i can also sit it out. No problem. 

3 hours ago, kuya said:

If there's too many lyric writers, i can also sit it out. No problem. 

Let's not worry just yet :)

I'll hop on board as well. But if the number of musicians that step up is limited - first come, first served. I can wait until the next opportunity. ;)

Donna

Shit!!!!!!!! Maybe we should put up a marketing sign posted in song feedback with something like this below. :P   

Calling all musicians!, Calling all musicians! 

For a temporary meeting of minds

You're one half of the equation

Needed for the occasion 

The sound to define the lines

So jump on board

Play us a chord

Let this be a challenge for you   

To try something clever

With someone you never

Thought to collaborate with

It's true 

I'm in only if we get some additional musicians.  So..............can I have a placeholder position set up, kind of like Donna, I think and I'll revisit later to see if it's do able or not.  :D

• Like 1

I'll volunteer to make some noise that may or may not qualify as music, if needed. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I'll likely give this until the end of the weekend at least to see if anyone else wants to join in (I'm away this weekend anyway) and then we can make a start.

Maybe instead of cutting the numbers, you could have as many teams as there are musicians. Maybe each team could have two or three lyricists, depending on how the eventual numbers shake out.

Maybe - but lyrical collabs are very difficult and I have yet to see one work well (especially when the musician is also involved).

maybe each musician could do more than one song ( 1+1 type of recording? )

might need to extend the deadlines though ..

I don't think having two or more lyricists + 1 musician would work. 

And I think having a musician work with two sets of lyrics kind of defeats the purpose. 

I prefer to wait until a second go-round. ;)

Maybe we just need a little more time until more musicians step up. 

• Like 1

One approach (I think we used last year) was to have a lyrics contest first to narrow down the lyrics entries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulCanuck said:

maybe each musician could do more than one song ( 1+1 type of recording? )

might need to extend the deadlines though ..

I write music  then spend months struggling with words. I have a few things already finished that just need lyrics, in a couple of cases I have demos recorded just waiting for inspiration. I could spare more than one of these if we decided to go down this route. 

I would actually feel quite good to clear the deck so to speak. I feel sometimes that they can be like an albatross round my neck, stopping me from fully engaging in new ideas.

I think this sounds fun!  I'd probably fall more on the "musician" side of things so I think it would be fun to collaborate with a lyricist or a lyricist and other musicians.  I'm a fairly well-versed guitarist, beginner-to-somewhat-experienced songwriter, beginner pianist & vocalist.  My songwriting usually goes like this:  (1) find a guitar part I think sounds cool, (2) scat sing a melody over it, (3) put parts together, (4) agonize over some lyrics that fit, (5) record, add other instruments, (6) mix, (7) repeat step 6 over & over & over... step 7 never seems to end.   Anyway... point being it might be hard for me to work with existing lyrics, but I can give it a shot!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Triffid said:

... it might be hard for me to work with existing lyrics, but I can give it a shot!

One of the great things about these contests is that they force us out of our comfort zones (and we usually learn something from the process).

Of course, one of the tough things about these contests is that they force us out of our comfort zones (and we usually learn something from the process) ;)

• Like 2

Are we all in such a rush ( a sign of the times ;)) that we can't just wait to see if additional music people come on board first? 

I like Paul's thought on the lyric contest from the standpoint that the music guys and gals can pick from the lyric pool in a given contest.  

Another idea is to let the musicians pick from the lyrics that folks will enter into the contest after the assignment is given ( small parameters to follow like a challenge activity) and then once all lyricists who decide to write and then enter have entered within a time frame, the musicians that have already committed to the contest, would then select their pick. This is much like the lyric contest Neal set into motion in January of 2016. 

Another option -  since the musicians are the backbone of a song and without them the lyrics or words are not actually a song and with that said, let the musicians pick from the lyricist pool on Alistair's list. No hard feelings regardless of who isn't picked.  

Another thought -  Alistair could draw straws to determine the lyricists that will reach the collaboration stage to be paired off with a music man or woman.

But, these thoughts are only to think about at this point.

I urge everyone to slowdown unless we have a deadline to meet.  I'm sure more music people will join. Let's give them a chance to respond before battening down the hatches. :D 

Made mention in my first post on this thread to posting an ad in song feedback encouraging the melody, guitar people and others to join in.  Any objections if I post what I wrote in my first post here in song feedback regarding calling all musicians? Could it hurt?  or Someone else could type a note and do it with the same basic message.     

By all means, Carl, go ahead.

As far as the ideas about lyrics are concerned, I'd prefer it if we could arrange something where everyone involved experiences a genuine collaboration - which requires give and take between two people. The other ideas work and they have their place, but I don't believe they give the same experience to either the music-creators or the word-creators (and the interaction/influence they have with/on one another).

I agree there is no rush just yet. We are fairly close to having a set of teams already and may be all set in a few more days.

• Thanks 2

It says this was posted on Monday but which Monday of which year? I'm tempted to believe it was the Monday that just passed, would I be right in doing that?

Last Monday

I'm in - maybe as a musician, if you have enough wordsmiths....

Andy

How is the pairing to be done? Just random draw, or other considerations? The reason I ask, is some folks are very genre-flexible, and some aren’t as much. Pairing “genre-opposites” could be challenging, but maybe it would be fine.

I am stronger on the lyric side, but would throw my hat in for lyric or music.

Okay, I'm in. This will likely be quite an interesting and fun challenge!

It'd probably be better if I do the music side, heh. (Or like Dino said, I can make some noise that may or may not qualify as music, hahaha.)

Question: I can't sing very well at all, and I don't assume all lyricists have recording capabilities. Will that just be part of the challenge for us to figure out? 

Andy, Moso, 14Music - glad to have you aboard! :)

As far as pairing is concerned, I'll just do my best to balance things - not sure yet.

As far as the singing is concerned, some have recording ability - if it's a real issue, maybe you could recruit someone else? The vocal is really another instrument :)

I'm going to try to make this flexible, but with some directions and constraints (because that often helps people to get started).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alistair S said:

As far as the singing is concerned, some have recording ability - if it's a real issue, maybe you could recruit someone else? The vocal is really another instrument :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering. That's cool though, it'll just be another (potential) part of the challenge. 

I may well close entries tomorrow and start to move this along.

If there's still space, I'd be happy to be included for lyrics

Gotcha - Dan and Songwolfe.

I'll likely post something up tomorrow.

I realize I am late to the game here, and probably on the overcrowded side of the 'teaming', but if you have room for another lyricist I would love to be a part of this collaboration.  If not I will try to catch a future version.  

OK TY - no promises but will do what we can!

Locking this thread and moving to the Other Contests forum now ... see here for more details (there may still be time to enter, so check it out if you are interested).

I just don't want to monitor two threads.