Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Triffid

MIDI Controller w/ Volume Expression?

Recommended Posts

Hey All... thanks in advance for the help.

 

When I add keyboard tracks to my songs I usually use my Yamaha DCX-660 output through my audio interface with a 1/4 cable, no MIDI control.  But, I found a violin AU plugin for my DAW (GarageBand) that I really like the sound of.  I have an old MIDI controller and it sounds ok, but I don't have any volume expression using it.  That is, I can't increase/lower the volume during the performance/recording like I can with my direct 1/4 cable from my Yamaha.  I can try to do this after the fact, but I enjoy doing it as expression during the recording.  

 

Does anyone know if this is possible through a MIDI controller and, if so, have an example of one that can do it?

 

Thanks,

Triffid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you not use your Yamaha - connected directly to your PC/Mac via USB? Does that work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alistair S said:

Could you not use your Yamaha - connected directly to your PC/Mac via USB? Does that work?

Good Point! I'll give it a shot... I'm know that is supposed to work for MIDI control, I don't know if the volume on the keyboard would do what I want though.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could something like this be useful?  http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php  Read the FAQ's.  I don't know about Garageband, but I'm thinking it might be possible to plug your volume pedal into this gizmo to connect to your computer and a full-featured DAW via USB, and maybe use it to control the output level of your plugin or the volume of the MIDI track while you play and record.

 

This may also be informative: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-difference-between-midi-volume-expression/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, are you sure you can't attach an expression pedal to your existing controller? I have a small Axiom 25 and that has connections for sustain and expression pedals. Mind you, it gathers dust mostly these days now I have a Yamaha P115 (which I connect to my PC via USB and to my audio interface for the audio outs - then just switch inputs on my DAW, depending on what I want to do).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 06:06, Alistair S said:

Also, are you sure you can't attach an expression pedal to your existing controller? I have a small Axiom 25 and that has connections for sustain and expression pedals. Mind you, it gathers dust mostly these days now I have a Yamaha P115 (which I connect to my PC via USB and to my audio interface for the audio outs - then just switch inputs on my DAW, depending on what I want to do).

I looked, no apparent spot that I could see.  It just has the 1/4" jack where I plugin a sustain pedal.

 

On 2/10/2018 at 22:20, HoboSage said:

Could something like this be useful?  http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php  Read the FAQ's.  I don't know about Garageband, but I'm thinking it might be possible to plug your volume pedal into this gizmo to connect to your computer and a full-featured DAW via USB, and maybe use it to control the output level of your plugin or the volume of the MIDI track while you play and record.

 

This may also be informative: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-difference-between-midi-volume-expression/

 

 

Thanks... those do look interesting.  Good read too, at least I know it should be possible to control expression through MIDI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×