AndyLeF

Anyone have any tips for recording a glockenspiel...?

Have just bought myself a 32 note glockenspiel - anyone have any tips on miking it up?

Many thanks for any thoughts :)

Andy

1. Pay attention to what you rest it on - give yourself a choice of different wooden resonances to evaluate

2. Use the softest mallets you can find

3. Use a ribbon microphone pair placed around a metre distant, pointing downwards

4. Mess around with compression

Does it have bells or bars?

I used to play one in a marching band as a kid - it had bars with nylon pins that broke when they froze :)

It's got bars very much like this one - thought I'd replace the synth bells on "My Little One" song for the demo version...

I recorded one for a client a short while back. The song had uke and vocals. The glock was the middle section with the uke.

I used my small pencil condenser (Rode M3), pointing down at the glock about 18" away (I think). It was not close mic'd.

Results were great.

• Like 1

i recommend LDC mic at a distance of about a meter, depending on the tempo and volume.
if the room has good acoustics, you can also add a room microphone, as is typical when recording drums.

On 14/05/2018 at 00:40, childed said:

i recommend LDC mic at a distance of about a meter, depending on the tempo and volume.
if the room has good acoustics, you can also add a room microphone, as is typical when recording drums.

Dude... in most home studios, an LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser) at one meter IS a room mic.

On 30/04/2018 at 08:27, Mondo Art said:

I recorded one for a client a short while back. The song had uke and vocals. The glock was the middle section with the uke.

I used my small pencil condenser (Rode M3), pointing down at the glock about 18" away (I think). It was not close mic'd.

Results were great.

THIS.  ^^^

And posted by a guy who has actually mic'ed a glockenspiel, and isn't just guessing based on "what I read on the Interwebz."

Also, if I hear one more piece of commercial music that features a uke and a glockenspiel, somebody gonna get hurt. That sound is played. SO played.

19 hours ago, California James said:

Dude... in most home studios, an LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser) at one meter IS a room mic.

+1

but, a conditions for recording are not specified in the question. so, i just shared my experience.