Sign in to follow this  
Murphster

Dolores O'Riordan

Nice article about Dolores O'Riordan in the Guardian today.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/15/dolores-oriordan-anguished-90s-icon-whose-voice-lingers-on-the-cranberries

He is right, they didn't break it big because they were fashionable, in fact they were quite clearly unfashionable at the time. What did it for them was good songs. An unfortunate reminder that good songs is sometimes all it takes. And this is a good song...

R.I.P Dolores.

This is the song I'll always remember them -- and her -- for. I know Zombie is much bigger on youtube but this is the one for me.

I don't think I paid a lot of attention to many of the words in the lyric but when I read it today it's kind of depressing -- she loves him so much she'll take him back even after he cheats on her and lies about it. But there's just such a great combination of ringing guitars and violins with a tad of a Celtic strain and the melody and the steady drumbeat and her voice -- for a while I could play this over and over again on my CD player. And I rarely ever used to do that and still don't do it often with almost any song.

Man, she was young to die!

--Doug

As a mostly hard rock grunge metal guy back in the 90’s. I went out and bought this CD after hearing Zombie. Zombie and Linger are the two songs I still often hear on 90’s satellite radio stations. I can’t recall what else was on the album as it’s been a very long time since listening. I liked the Cranberries mostly because of her unique sounding voice. Pair that with me also finding her very attractive. 😀.