Hey there everyone......just an honest question as to the once customary display of curtesy that rounded out our monthly songs comp.

I find that the curtesy of commenting at the end of our monthly songs competitions is one that is being replaced by a stark shrill of silence.

A passive protest of the results? Or, just a childish sulking in the corner? Many do comment; however, just as many ignore the process.

I don't mean to get those "panties in a bunch"...but, there should be no excuses for not commenting on those monthly songs comps.

Honestly, folks.....I don't understand ignoring the discussions of the comps process and results. 

Isn't that where we find the most insight (and fun) in these comps?

Just wondering......

-T

I do miss the good ol’ days when the post contest comments were very active. 

I guess the song feedback forum would be the natural place to get constructive feedback on song contest songs - if the song writers had wanted some? (seems rather an alien idea to me that they wouldn't).

As a non-participating Nov. song contest scorer, I was put off making comments about the songs by the contest's guidelines where, I sensed, some negative history about making comments in the past had occurred.

Just my two cents worth.

Andy 

I think, as a minimum, a congratulatory post to the winner(s) and a tip of the hat to the non-contestant scorers is - while not mandatory - a reasonable expectation from entrants.

I have to confess, I haven't spent much time on here lately other than basic upkeep, so haven't posted myself. I will say that I think the quality is great when I have listened and offer my belated congratulations to all of the winners (and apologies for not paying attention!).

I haven't participated (entry or scoring) in some time, as I haven't been able to use my good monitors for internet listening (finally able to do so), but let me explain my 'sometimes silence' - it seemed my comments (I always made notes on each song as a I listened during the scoring process) were mostly about 'how to improve the song', much like in the feedback section of the forum.  However, my comments then seemed way out of place when I read other's comments which generally were nothing but positive, mostly back-slapping things.  Even when my entry was down in the 'bottom 4' placings, there were only good comments (which hardly explained the placement) - it was like "complements from your mother" - nice but meaningless.

I have been lucky enough to have had some success in the competitions in my short time here and have found the comments to be very nice. While I do find praise difficult to accept, of course any congratulations is always a nice thing and really does contribute hugely to my state of mind and motivates me to keep on.

So yes to be honest, the more discussion the better on a personal level this forum is my only audience at the moment and so I like to know where I am going right and where I could do with more work. I am learning and feedback helps.

Would it be an idea to stop people posting songs on the feedback area before the song contest is over? Or is there a better way we can start to encourage more feedback on the contest threads?

On 1/2/2018 at 18:12, HoboSage said:

Isn't this when someone is supposed to point out that as of yet there's no voting for the 2017 song of the year and 1+1 of the year?  Oops!  Maybe someone just did.   ;)

P.S.  Someone might also point out that "curtesy" and "courtesy" are very different things.  <heh-heh>  :)

Well......if the end discussions that follow our monthly comps are any reflection, I'd say some couldn't care less.

I pushed for it last year, which Alistair graciously hosted; however, with the stars aligned as they are......maybe it is best that we wait for some new comers and some fresh exuberance to generate the enthusiasm that the comps used to have ;-) 

with the stars aligned as they are......maybe it is best that we wait for some new comers and some fresh exuberance to generate the enthusiasm that the comps used to have

Or, you could simply lower "your expectations" to a more realistic level.

I'm not tryin' to be a smart-ass Tom, but sometimes the answer's just that simple.

If it's your expectations that aren't being met, wouldn't it be simpler to change those...rather than trying to alter everyone else's behavior?

Tom

We do need some 2017 "Year" contests, you are right.

Many of the other mods have monthly winners and can't run them - so I'll set something up, probably at the weekend.

16 hours ago, tunesmithth said:

Or, you could simply lower "your expectations" to a more realistic level.

I'm not tryin' to be a smart-ass Tom, but sometimes the answer's just that simple.

If it's your expectations that aren't being met, wouldn't it be simpler to change those...rather than trying to alter everyone else's behavior?

Tom

Tom....my comment was more about pointing out a lack of curtesy than it is about my expectations. 

I simply want to know why a few of us comp participants choose to ignore the end-of-the-comp discussions.

My expectations are at a minimum, as is. I'm just here to have a little fun, and to share some songs.

Alistair....the 1+1 comps were few, to say the least, but the ties for first and second were numerous ;-)

The full production comps were many.........should be good.

Good luck with those......I'll be watching.

-T

Just waiting to see if I can get some working links to a couple of songs before I kick off the SOTY contests.

Should start today or tomorrow hopefully.

Edit: Now underway :)

There wasn't much post-scoring conversation after the 1+1 we ran in November. Could have been because it was a light month for entries, but I might've caused it to an extent; I specifically encouraged people to write only about what they liked (basically, what were your favorites and why) instead of offering free-for-all criticism the way these things normally go. Next time we have a 1+1, which I mean to do the month after the next Open Comp, I could open the discussion up to whatever comments anybody feels like making. I think if people feel pissed-off about not placing higher, if they're in any way required or expected to comment, those comments might not be encouraging and helpful. Maybe it should be considered okay not to comment, since sometimes a person's thoughts about the results will be sour, dark and rancid.