I found this on youtube recently and thought I'd share it as I, for one, love to see work-in-progress while other songwriters are composing.

For all the glitz surrounding Taylor Swift I've come to appreciate that she is one hell of a song writer - both on the lyric and music front.

For anyone trying to put a melody to lyrics or modifying lyrics in the compositional phase this link shows the determination and stick-ability needed when composing a song and not being satisfied too easily.

Gorgeous

Is this the way others compose music to their lyrics - anyone have a different method?

Cheers,

Andy

Love her or hate her no one can dispute her talent as a writer, musician, singer and performer.

Interesting - to me the video illustrates what mega dollars will do for a song idea.

The song and lyrics are about 25% of the finished product - good thing they weren't polishing a turd :)

Paul

Words and music make a song. Singer, arrangement, production etc sell the song. Without a song there's nothing to polish.

2 hours ago, Barneyboy said:

Words and music make a song. Singer, arrangement, production etc sell the song. Without a song there's nothing to polish.

I agree.....however, it is all about generating that enthusiasm that compels people to reach into their pocket books for the cash. 

Great songs sell.......and so do great productions. Some of our Mega songs just might never would have been heard if not for the productions that sold them famously.

A good example is Hoyt Axton's, "I've Never Been To Spain". The song itself is good, and beautifully original; but, nothing that would have disturbed the force, as some say ;-). However, when Three Dog Night picked it up to perform and produce...it definitely formed a wrinkle in the universe ;-)

The truth is........a song is only as good as it can inspire others......period. And while there are many aspects to a song, only one is required to inspire.

That’s 11 minutes I’ll never get back. 😀

Yes, that’s basically exactly how I write. But I have to write the words down or I easily forget them. 

Anyone else prefer these songs when it’s just a live vocal/guitar performance? I was liking this song until I heard the produced version at the end. I couldn’t make it through the song. I can’t get into this poppy production stuff. But I’m obviously not the intended audience. 

• Like 2

Well, the video makes me feel better about how often I am changing lyrics, swapping out words and phrases that seem to fit better. I always end up with something other than what I start with and sometime completely different.

Onewholovesrock, I also have to write my changes down or i will forget them

• Like 1

On 12/23/2017 at 08:27, Onewholovesrock said:

Anyone else prefer these songs when it’s just a live vocal/guitar performance? I was liking this song until I heard the produced version at the end. I couldn’t make it through the song. I can’t get into this poppy production stuff. But I’m obviously not the intended audience. 

I'm with you, JOe, on that.   Obviously whomever the guy was at the end of the 'working on it' stage was the guy who put the "polish" on it.  And took what could have been a solid singer-songwriter song and turned it into the pop-puke TS releases now.

I noticed that she did not have the prechorus written at all in her many tries at the song, and that her chord structure was the same for verses and and chorus (typical pop/top 40 thing, unfortunately).

• Like 1