Moso

A new forum section about sound design

We have music theory, recording tips, music business... who would be interested in a forum section on sound design, production, and tips n' tricks for creating interesting sounds? 

The recording tips section seems to be more about mic'ing and mixing. I feel that if we talked about software production sound tricks and sound design, it would conflict a little, or make that section a little too broad. 

Instead, I was thinking of one section that would be devoted to things like, for example: 

-- Rerouting tracks, clips, and/or recorded sounds into an impulse reverb effect, as the IR itself

-- Resampling tracks, clips, etc., then slicing them up and adding different layered effects on the different slices, spreading out envelopes and reordering them

-- How to record anything (cicadas, a broom sweeping), and turn it into an instrument

-- How to create ambient pads from anything

For example.

Who would be interested in this kind of thing? I've talked to Alistair about this, and he's keen only if there's enough interest. It definitely has potential to drive more music makers to the site, increasing activity and dialogue... 

I'm interested - not sure this would warrant a new section - maybe you could start a blog about this - would be keen to learn what techniques people use :)

Paul

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moso said:

We have music theory

We do???

1 hour ago, PaulCanuck said:

I'm interested - not sure this would warrant a new section - maybe you could start a blog about this - would be keen to learn what techniques people use :)

Paul

A blog -- that's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. Blogs are singular though, right? So, for example, I would just be making posts about stuff that I have found, and if others wanted to do the same, their posts would be independent of mine instead of all together as one, right? 

EDIT: I may get started on doing just that, though. A blog. As it is, I organize my music theory notes in a diary, and recently I've been saving production and SD tips in a Scrivener file. Thanks for the blog idea!

23 minutes ago, Lazz said:

We do???

Hehe, yeah... I'm not sure how much theory actually gets there, though. :P

2 minutes ago, Moso said:

their posts would be independent of mine instead of all together as one, right?

IDK - you can check out Alistair's blog to see if a blog would work.

1 minute ago, PaulCanuck said:

IDK - you can check out Alistair's blog to see if a blog would work.

Well, it seems to be a little of both -- the blogs are independent of each other, and yet there is a "blog section" where all the blogs I think are sorta organized. I'll make one and see how the php handles it. Again, cool idea! Thanks! 

I can make it a group blog if you like and then others can add to it (as well as comment on individual entries)

Edit: I did that. Now people can enter their own blog entries too.

My experience throughout the years here (I have reached being a muses muse twice) trying to enthusiast people with thoughts about new stuff is I am sad to say not  very good. This place seem to be a steam engine place but I really hope maybe this could change that and wish you good luck.

• Haha 1

This place seem to be a steam engine place

I'll have you know that I resemble that remark :P^_^:rolleyes::blush: 

I will have to google translate resemble I only speak two languages but that word slipped totally lol

Ok got it lol it is like an image looking like something else. I guess moss would work too or rust in the chip

4 hours ago, Burnin_Sven said:

My experience throughout the years here (I have reached being a muses muse twice) trying to enthusiast people with thoughts about new stuff is I am sad to say not  very good. This place seem to be a steam engine place but I really hope maybe this could change that and wish you good luck.

To be fair, Sven, all I really recall is you posting live tests of video streaming technologies - but other Muse Members were already doing live streams via Facebook with no issue at all, so it likely attracted little comment.

But I do quite like Steam(punk) I must admit! :D

FYI "I resemble that remark" is a famous old "3 Stooges" line...more of an American thing I guess ;)

But in all seriousness, I am one of those people you described.

My interests have always leaned more heavily towards the musically related.

Tech to me is simply a means to an end...a necessary evil.

Tom

I guess I should mention that I took Paul and Alistair's idea and started a blog. And I'm loving it! It's a fun way to publicize my personal notes a little at a time. Or rather, it's fun incentive to keep making notes as I explore and rehash things musical.

So, I don't know, maybe I should lock or delete this thread. It seems to have run its purpose. I'll probably do that in a couple days.