Neal K

Mortal Soul killed in accident.

Some of you may remember Mortal Soul, aka Mark Napier.  He was killed in a bicycle accident yesterday.  He rode into the path of a car, was hit, and thrown over the car.  

I've been a member of this site for a long time, and Mark was one of the most interesting and colourful characters we've ever encountered.  I admired his tenacity.  He could be frustrating at times, but I considered him a friend.

Neal

OMG. I'm sorry to hear this. Mark was quite a character around here.  How did you find out Neal?

1 minute ago, spanishbuddha said:

OMG. I'm sorry to hear this. Mark was quite a character around here.  How did you find out Neal?

Facebook.  I'm in an Airport right now, but I will post a link to the news article later.  The article just says he was critically injured, but I have confirmed that he succumbed to his injuries.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Mark struggled with his demons and could drive you crazy, but you had to admire his enthusiasm and engagement and he had a good heart. I hope he found some peace before this happened.

Alistair, I talked to Mark last Thursday night for a half an hour.  He was struggling to make ends meet, but he was taking guitar lessons and he sang a half decent cover of CCR's, "Bad Moon Rising."  He was defiant and hopeful right to the end.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neal K said:

Alistair, I talked to Mark last Thursday night for a half a hour.  He was struggling to make ends meet, but he was taking guitar lessons and he sang a half decent cover of CCR's, "Bad Moon Rising."  He was defiant and hopeful right to the end.

Good to know :)

You were a good friend to him, Neal.

Oh how sad! I dearly loved Mark. He was one of the most interesting people I've ever known. He will be missed.

=Bob=

I've missed Mortal Soul a lot around here and now...

Wow, devastating. Thanks for sharing the news, Neal, even if it sucks.

Yeah, Mark was gruff and prickly and not always the most gentle critic but his critiques were often incredibly detailed and he had a knack for homing in on exactly what was weakest in a lyric, particularly prosody. No one helped me learn lyric writing more effectively than Mark. He was very generous with his time, over and over again. And he never lowered his standards.

He wrote all those melodramatic hard rock or heavy metal lyrics with the capital letters thrown in to help you see the rhythm but I remember one he wrote after his mother died and then, maybe my favorite of all of his, a song called Montana Skies that was so achingly tender it was hard to believe it was Mark's.

Damn, I'm sad.

• Like 1

WOW........what unexpected news! I've had a couple of in-depth discussions with him about music......mine, and others. He always stuck to his opinions and was someone who's opinion I trusted. What a shock for this to happen.

He was too young......I hope he has peace. I will keep him in my prayers and thoughts in the months and years to come.

-Tom

Damn! I always had a soft spot for Mark. I was often worried about his well being as it felt like he carried many demons around with him. I recently wondered if he was OK as he hasn't been around here in a good while. I missed his post. He lived in a part of Florida I am somewhat familiar with. I too hope he was able to find some peace before passing. Even if it was only on occasion. 

He was definitely helpful with some of my songs in progress back in the day. Both lyrically and musically. He may have struggled with his own music but he was definitely great at critiquing others. He'll be missed. 

I'd like to thank Neal for stepping up and helping Mark out on a number of occasions and probably many more occasions than we know about. Cheers to you Neal for that! 

4 hours ago, Neal K said:

Wow. The accident happened only a few blocks from where my family had a winter home. Sad to hear.

Sorry to hear that. Mark and I have had our tiffs but I got the feeling he struggled in his life.

Maybe he'll find some peace now. A similar accident happened this year near where I live - a man about the same age was killed by a U-Haul truck while he was pedaling into work. There is a white bicycle with flowers on it attached to a telephone pole at the spot - I pass it every day. Now I'll think of Mark too when I see that. Thanks Neal for letting us know.

I too had wondered why he had disappeared from this site for so long (he had returned one brief time quite a while ago).  Sad news.

He was a wonderful soul who directly helped me many a times. 

I'm quite shocked and upset to learn of his passing.

He'll definitely be missed.

Ironic that you posted just now, harreh.  I just logged on to post that Mark’s ashes were spread on his favourite beach today.  There was no funeral.

This just breaks my heart. I'd been thinking of Mark only the other day. 

He was an amazing character, and a wonderful & generous constructive critiquer of lyrics. I liked him immensely.

Now I just want to cry.

What horrible news. I like to think he got a lot out of his Muse connections, and it's no surprise that Neal was a caring friend. Mark would say what he meant and didn't seem too bothered with how it landed. Which can make human relationships pretty thorny, but sometimes it's just the thing for a song.

I know this is a year old, but this is really sad to hear. MS was quite a big personality, but I think he just had that strong will and desire to write from the heart.

He helped me with quite a few of my lyrics when I first came here, and his critiques were always thorough and almost intuitively knew every time where I was screwing up, even when I was resistant to his words. I thank him for being the eye to detail I wasn't at the time.

• Like 2