Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GaryHale

Continuing decline of radio

Recommended Posts

Mike B    79

The change in listeners described is not unexpected with current automobiles having the ability to interface with phones, which the 20-somethings and teens have already been using to stream their music.  As older vehicles without the ability gradually disappear from the road, this trend will not change. 

Luckily, I live in an area (greater Boston) where radio still has a strong hold and there are lots of listening options, but having traveled to other places (including major metropolitan areas) in the last few years, I was appalled by the lack of radio station choices.  More and more music has given way to talk radio.

 

The fact that radio does not 'pay per play' the way streaming does hardly matters to the non-professional artist/band, of course, as we are not getting played on radio, except for the occasional college radio station (only places I've had any plays).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My older work van has a CD/cassette player and radio. I listen to FM radio in there. Probably nowhere else. Actually popped in a CD today. First time in awhile, but it was my music. Lol. I was traveling and nothing good was on the radio.  In my newer vehicle I listen to Sirius radio 95% of the time. The other 5% is the daughter plugging in her phone. I actually listen to a lot of talk radio on Sirius. Mostly the volume channel which is all music based talk shows. At work it's 100% streaming from my phone. Mostly Pandora into a Bluetooth radio. Also do mostly streaming at home which also includes YouTube and Pandora. No FM radio at home. Probably about 10% CD's at home. So whenever my van craps out on me my FM radio listening days might be over. But I do still enjoy it. Especially for the local information and advertising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulCanuck    143

Huh? There are no royalties paid for radio play in the US? Or did I read that wrong?

I think they're still paid in Canada - I remember the thrill of getting a $10 cheque for radio play (on a local station) many years ago.

I was too poor to frame it - I needed that $10 :)

 

Paul

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike B    79
1 hour ago, PaulCanuck said:

Huh? There are no royalties paid for radio play in the US? Or did I read that wrong?

I think they're still paid in Canada - I remember the thrill of getting a $10 cheque for radio play (on a local station) many years ago.

I was too poor to frame it - I needed that $10 :)

 

Paul

 

I don't know how SOCAN keeps track of every song splayed on every Canadian radio station, but in the US, it's all 'averaging' and 'sampling' so only the big-timers get any money from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulCanuck    143
10 minutes ago, Mike B said:

I don't know how SOCAN keeps track of every song splayed on every Canadian radio station, but in the US, it's all 'averaging' and 'sampling' so only the big-timers get any money from it.

Yes I believe that's how it's calculated in Canada as well - I just lucked out that time because they sampled my local radio station :)

But they didn't mention that in the article - it sounded like no-one got anything in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike B    79

Well the fact is that radio plays are declining rapidly.  50 years ago, having an "in" with a popular DJ could get a band from obscure to stardom practically overnight.  Record company reps/payola schemes/etc.  10-15 years ago, radio was still the best way to hear new music, not anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×