A bream of light is Angler Merkel

As Chancellor she haddock clear majority

Established in her plaice of seniority

Like a rod of iron in political circles

A ray of hope is Angler Merkel

No one casts doubt on her sense of order

She didn’t swallow the bait on open borders

She doesn’t carp or a wrasse and you know that hard work’ll

Be the hook, line and sinker for Angler Merkel.

Barneyboy    48
On 9/2/2017 at 07:02, Rob Barratt said:

Angler Merkel

She keeps the European Union a float

Though she has been known to rock the boat

She’s not likely to flounder as any Turk’ll

Tell you. That fisherwoman, Angler Merkel

She brings wayward party members to eel

She likes to mullet over when she does a deal

She doesn’t talk pollocks when she faces a hurdle

A ray of light is Angler Merkel

As Chancellor she haddock clear majority

Established in her plaice of seniority

Like a rod of iron in political circles

One hell of a fisherwoman is Angler Merkel

She's a bottom feeder.

kuya    66

Very clever, but isn't she in favor of EU open borders? I'm on the othe side of the pond but I thought she was all for all the refugees overrunning Europe. Easy fix if I'm correct. 

Alistair S    49
52 minutes ago, kuya said:

Very clever, but isn't she in favor of EU open borders? I'm on the othe side of the pond but I thought she was all for all the refugees overrunning Europe. Easy fix if I'm correct. 

"Open borders" refers to the borders between European States and is really only in effect in the Schengen Area, so you can drive between (for example) France and Spain just as easily as you can drive between (for example) North Carolina and South Carolina.

There are no open borders to enter the EU - as you would find out if you were to land at any EU airport.

Overrunning Europe? Really? We in the EU are closer to the nations in crisis and we all have obligations to take in genuine refugees under international law.

• Like 1

kuya    66

Thanks. So what does the reference to not swallowing the bait on open borders mean then? That's what confused me. 

Barneyboy    48
3 hours ago, Alistair S said:

"Open borders" refers to the borders between European States and is really only in effect in the Schengen Area, so you can drive between (for example) France and Spain just as easily as you can drive between (for example) North Carolina and South Carolina.

There are no open borders to enter the EU - as you would find out if you were to land at any EU airport.

Overrunning Europe? Really? We in the EU are closer to the nations in crisis and we all have obligations to take in genuine refugees under international law.

How many have you welcomed into your household?  Just heard of another bombing over there yesterday.  If it ain't open borders it appears that no one is looking nor cares who is coming in - what's the difference?

Alistair S    49
52 minutes ago, Barneyboy said:

How many have you welcomed into your household?  Just heard of another bombing over there yesterday.  If it ain't open borders it appears that no one is looking nor cares who is coming in - what's the difference?

Are we talking about refugees or about terrorists? We don't know yet who was responsible for this latest incident, but previous incidents were home-grown, not refugees.

Perhaps we should stick to discussing the (rather clever and amusing) poem on this thread. I'm not sure what the "open borders" line was referring to either, but I'm guessing it was linked to her views on whether or not refugees should be prevented from entering. I'm sure Rob will elucidate if he wants to.

On 9/2/2017 at 10:02, Rob Barratt said:

Angler Merkel

Let the truth be told, it's a real stinker
Nobody has fallen for the hook, line or sinker
Angler Merkel trying to rectify the past
By loading the boat with a third world cast
The fate of the union lies in the September vote
To re-elect the Angler is to sink in the moat
It's do or die as the hordes flow in
Best follow eastern Europe on the matter to win

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Barneyboy    48
5 hours ago, Alistair S said:

Are we talking about refugees or about terrorists? We don't know yet who was responsible for this latest incident, but previous incidents were home-grown, not refugees.

Perhaps we should stick to discussing the (rather clever and amusing) poem on this thread. I'm not sure what the "open borders" line was referring to either, but I'm guessing it was linked to her views on whether or not refugees should be prevented from entering. I'm sure Rob will elucidate if he wants to.

How are they getting into England or, more specifically, London?  It seems there is a welcome border between France and England where any refugee making it to France can go directly into England.  It's like a straight line from a 3rd world country to a rapidly becoming 3rd world country. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PaulCanuck said:

So Barney and Spanish - why don't you just come out and say it:

REFUGEE = TERRORIST

..sad :(

Who said that?  Where did I say that?  Where did I imply that?  You say that and you do not define what I've said or think.  You haven't a clue as to what I think. All you can do is point something out that is in your head, not mine because you simply don't like or understand what I've said. 

If the poster of the thread wishes to address similar thoughts he's having re: my original post, then I'll addresses it. Otherwise, I would rather not take away from Rob's poem by wasting any more of my time or his thread engaging you , the moderator, who isn't behaving like a good moderator by trolling in unintelligent comments.  I'll leave you to stew in your own juices, Paul. :lol:   😛

Edited by spanishbuddha
  • Like 1

kuya    66

Sorry, I wasn't trying to open up a can of worms; and here- this coming from the guy who wrote "I tell them I love fishing".  

Barneyboy    48
26 minutes ago, PaulCanuck said:

So Barney and Spanish - why don't you just come out and say it:

REFUGEE = TERRORIST

..sad :(

First, Paul does not speak for me. Since he asked what I'm saying is there is an open border among the EU countries where refugees are flooding in like a burst dam.  To say there are not terrorists among them is not my call but let me just say that bombings, vehicular murders, shootings and other terrorist acts have come exclusively from a specific religious population.  Such acts of terrorism have increased significantly with the growth of the refugee population.  Coincidence right Paul?