Hi guys,

Me and my friend are working together as indie artists. We've been covering songs from others and we think it's time we wrote our own songs. The problem is, we don't know how to start? Can you guys help us with this.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Start out by dissecting the cover songs you already play. Look at the different chord progressions. Look at the different chord progressions used in the verses compared to the chorus's and bridges. Look at different parts of songs. Many have verses, chorus's and bridges. Many don't. Read every lyric from bands/artist you listen to. Pay attention to patterns. Pay attention to rhymes and not rhymes. Learn about lyrical cliches. Sometimes they should be avoided. Sometimes they work well depending on style and genre's.  Join a place like this and start posting material. Learn to take constructive criticism. Not all critique is good. You'll learn what critique to use and what not to use. Also, critique others work. Even if you don't think you have enough experience to do so. It'll help your own songwriting more than you would think.  Just a few pointers that popped into my head. Most importantly! Have fun!

Mike B    79

Honestly, some people are fantastic players/singers, and can do incredible versions of others' songs, but they cannot write a song for the life of them.  I'm afraid that if you ask 'how to start', you may fall into that category, too.  Lyrical ideas should come toy ou naturally - you hear a phrase, or something happens to you, or you feel like expressing an opinion of something, and the words start coming together.  Musically, you're picking on your guitar ('noodling') and a chord progression or melody springs into your head.

Gerry Nolan    2

I started by writting a song to my wife. Write about something you know about or really care about... Good luck! 

R-N-R Jim    12
On 8/17/2017 at 11:15, davidclay123 said:

Hi guys,

Me and my friend are working together as indie artists. We've been covering songs from others and we think it's time we wrote our own songs. The problem is, we don't know how to start? Can you guys help us with this.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Hi D

Its kind of a loaded question. I started writing songs as soon as I could climb up on a piano stool. Granted I wasnt a student prodigy(lol), but loved to explore. I would at times by ear figure out songs I liked. From countless joyous hours of listening to music and buying music did it dawn upon me that maybe I should actually take a crack at it and try making music. I mean, why not? I already had a curiosity about it and with a friend of mine already knowing guitar, the seeds were then sewn. You could say I've drawn most of my influences from the Beatles and Everly brothers, but there are others as well. My voice as well as playing ability is more suited for that style too. So, what you hear in my music in a mutated way is my influences with my own take. So, I guess you guys would have to ask yourselves what style or genre you feel good about and do you think you could pull off musically.

I mean, I love Motorhead, but would never even attempt that style with what I bring to the table vocally or musicality. So, you have to figure out what you want to achieve and once you find the genre you feel good about doing and could maybe pull off, then find and listen to those artists in that vein that you like alot and above all, listen to their arrangements. Cuz as they say, the secret is in the sauce.

just my two cents worth

R-N-R Jim