Joey M    30

Looking for feedback on this tune. There are only three chords in this one....all of them major (I, IV & V). I know the recording needs some work......just want to know if the melody/lyrics/grove work OK before I proceed. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Stringin’ Her Along

She doesn’t think that her heart can take it

Doesn’t know if our love will make it

She said you’ll never be faithful you’re not that kind of man

And I don’t believe a thing you told me

Everything’s the same ol’ story

Used to trust you, my lover and my best friend

Ch

I told her sorry, I regret the lies that I told when we were lying in bed

She said, I can’t forgive you all the things you’ve done

Because I used to think the world spun around us

Now I can see thru your lies, you’re not a love I can trust

Thought I knew you, you said I was the only one

She’s realized I’m jus’ stringin’ her along

I told her lets just forget about her

Thought our love was the thing that mattered

She said, yeah, but my heart says you’re gonna cheat again

Now you’re telling me you won’t romance her

But I can read between your answers

So I’m leavin’ before you fool around again

Ch

No she won’t believe a thing I tell her

Now she reads between my answers

So she’s leavin’ before I fool around again

Cus she’s realized I’m jus’ stringin’ her along

Now she’s realized I’m jus’ stringin’

And I’ve realized I’m jus’ stringin’

So we’ve realized I’m jus’ stringin’ her along

Copyright 2017 ~ J. W. McMichael

• Like 1

Woah I love this, certainly could groove to it. Honestly not much to critique, sounds very professional and lyrics flow well. 

• Like 1

Joey M    30
On 8/18/2017 at 15:25, Margaret Maude said:

Woah I love this, certainly could groove to it. Honestly not much to critique, sounds very professional and lyrics flow well. 

Hi Margaret.....and welcome aboard. I really appreciate your reviewing my song, and glad you like it. I had allot of fun doing one with such a simple chord pattern. I wondered about writing a lyric that portrays the singer as such a cad, but thought it would be interesting to create an opportunity to have his gal give him a piece of her mind. 

Joey

Triffid    6

I enjoyed the vocal quality on this, nice work!  It was really interesting to me how you creatively switch the point of view here and there. The "feel" of it was a bit repetitive for me... Perhaps that was a combination of the melody, song structure and song length.  But again... really interesting lyrics and your voice sounds great :)

• Thanks 1

Joey M    30
On 8/24/2017 at 10:02, Triffid said:

I enjoyed the vocal quality on this, nice work!  It was really interesting to me how you creatively switch the point of view here and there. The "feel" of it was a bit repetitive for me... Perhaps that was a combination of the melody, song structure and song length.  But again... really interesting lyrics and your voice sounds great :)

Thanks for listening and your input on the lyric and music. And thank you for the compliments on the vocal.

I agree the song gets repetitive. I feel it should be cut back in length by leaving out this stanza....which can go because it is actually repetitive (just repeats previously used lines):

Cus she’s realized I’m jus’ stringin’ her along

Also, I think I could do more to distinguish the chorus instrumentally. So, your input is most helpful.:)

ClintLeonard    11

Joey!   An instant classic my friend!  Love the melody and the delivery is as always AWESOME.

My new favorite song from you...WOW.  Can't wait to hear the full blown version.

• Like 1

Joey M    30

Hi Clint. I'm really glad you like it.

It's a little different for me, but it was fun to write....and it's  fun to sing. I started with the musical hook. Rather simple really, just three chords and a catchy melody. I wasn't sure about the perspective of portraying the singer as a cad. But it set up the opportunity to have his girl really let him have it with both barrels.That just seemed like the way to go once I had the lyric hook.....stringin' her along. So I just went with it. It was interesting trying to get their conversation worked out and making sense to the audience. Portraying  the singer as the bad guy in the song, seemed risky, but folks have really liked it in performance.....to my surprise and delight. 

I'm working on a few other fun songs that are up-tempo. 

Thanks for listening, and your kind  compliments. You know how much I value your opinion!:)

Really good country bar song! I'm imagining this coming on a juke box while you're alone at the bar thinking. This song is pretty much a wrap if you ask me! One thing though, this song could really be something big if it was rerecorded or mixed by a high end mixing and mastering engineer. As far as the song is concerned, it's perfect but if you went to a high end producer... man good things would come. I love it!

Peko    16

Joey,

I really liked this! Good lyrics and music that I just want to keep listening to. I don't think it's too repetitive--I like hearing the parts I like!   But then, I could probably have my favorite dinner 3 times a week, so maybe that's just me. 

In V1, I would change "told" to "tell" because it seems more al-encompassing, then, now and in the future!  

I like the guy admitting he's just stringing her along.  It' refreshing for its honesty.

Peko

PaulCanuck    143

Hi Joey

Well I always like a three banger (3 chords) and this one has an honesty vibe woven through it.

Great vocals and the instrumentation is nice too.

It would be nice if you could make room for a guitar solo - but I guess you'd have to cut sth to get it in. I just think it could change it up a bit to keep it interesting.

Not that it isn't interesting!

Good stuff - more please!

Paul

Barneyboy    48
On 8/16/2017 at 23:53, Joey M said:

Looking for feedback on this tune. There are only three chords in this one....all of them major (I, IV & V). I know the recording needs some work......just want to know if the melody/lyrics/grove work OK before I proceed. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Stringin’ Her Along

She doesn’t think that her heart can take it

Doesn’t know if our love will make it...........These first 2 lines, I think, just don't feel like it belongs with the rest of the lyric. The relationship has gone beyond her thinking or not knowing.  She's already made up her mind.

She said you’ll never be faithful you’re not that kind of man

And I don’t believe a thing you told me

Everything’s the same ol’ story

Used to trust you, my lover and my best friend

Ch

I told her sorry, I regret the lies that I told when we were lying in bed

She said, I can’t forgive you all the things you’ve done

Because I used to think the world spun around us.......Maybe this following line does not work well with the forgiving line.

Now I can see thru your lies, you’re not a love I can trust

Thought I knew you, you said I was the only one

She’s realized I’m jus’ stringin’ her along

I told her lets just forget about her

Thought our love was the thing that mattered

She said, yeah, but my heart says you’re gonna cheat again

Now you’re telling me you won’t romance her

But I can read between your answers

So I’m leavin’ before you fool around again

Ch

Cus she’s realized I’m jus’ stringin’ her along..............This sounds repetitive - everything's been said in the earlier vs or ch

Now she’s realized I’m jus’ stringin’

And I’ve realized I’m jus’ stringin’

So we’ve realized I’m jus’ stringin’ her along

Copyright 2017 ~ J. W. McMichael

A very nice and easy listen.  I like old traditional sounding country and this one gave me that feel.  I thought you worked in the conversation very nicely.  I had a couple of issues with the lyrics but, overall, a nice one.