Sign in to follow this  
LAYLA

Releasing Singles in Modern Music

Does anybody know how that works these days?  Releasing singles, I mean.  50 years ago, it made perfect sense - you release a record with only one song on each side to promote a particular song.  But now that you can download any song individually, how do you identify one particular song as your single?  I know artists are still doing it, but how?

Do you mean a physical copy, or electronic?  Places like CDBaby and Tunecore offer single song packages, where the song is set up in their distribution network (iTunes, Amazon Spotify, etc).  For physical copies, it makes more sense monetarily to release at least a few tunes (EP) at a time.

On 2017-06-20 at 08:57, Mike B said:

Do you mean a physical copy, or electronic?  Places like CDBaby and Tunecore offer single song packages, where the song is set up in their distribution network (iTunes, Amazon Spotify, etc).  For physical copies, it makes more sense monetarily to release at least a few tunes (EP) at a time.

I was thinking electronic - I figured it didn't make any sense to release a single song physically anymore.  Mostly I was wondering how you can take one song from your album and say, "this is the single", when anyone can download any of the songs singly, without buying the whole album.  Thanks, by the way, for the website names.  I'll be sure to look into them!

You're right, today with electronic distribution,, 'single release' doesn't mean much if its from an album.  It is typically done with 1 song prior to an album release.

22 hours ago, Mike B said:

You're right, today with electronic distribution,, 'single release' doesn't mean much if its from an album.  It is typically done with 1 song prior to an album release.

Ah, I understand.  Okay, thanks!