Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hello folks,

Here's a mellow/heavy rock song about a fictitious woman that watches over the earth and has been very patient with the human race thus far. Ton of layered guitars, some keys and pretty high vocal passages in the second verse. Rock music will never die with me. LOL.

Holy Moly, this is sick. Maybe I don't have to say any problem in this work. Is this post rock? The guitar sound is insane.

16 hours ago, Luke Min said:

Holy Moly, this is sick. Maybe I don't have to say any problem in this work. Is this post rock? The guitar sound is insane.

The guitar sound is in between grunge and metal. Original I guess. Thanks for commenting. Not many folks around here like rock music it seems.

Love that sound! Good song and production from my average everyday listeners ear. Nice!

On 5/29/2017 at 22:52, Vinnie Anzalone said:

Not many folks around here like rock music it seems.

I will say that the tones and textures of this piece are fantastic.  Well balanced mix.  Guitar tone is awesome and your vocals really fit the song.  Bravo!

I listened yesterday and again today.  These extended prog-type songs might be a tad out of vogue these days, which might explain the limited comments on the song.  Songs these days seem to have a little more "hook."  The chord structure definitely was reminiscent of the late 80's and early 90's (phaser guitar tone with the Fmaj7#11 droning strings).

So not much to suggest other than maybe making the chorus more memorable. Your fans who are in to this style of music will love it, while listeners who are in to more modern songs won't really be drawn in, IMHO.  But for what it is (a prog-type classic rock song), I thought you did a great job.

P.S. Always post lyrics on these song boards.  It really helps to follow along with the song structure you're intending.   

Nice man! really digging the industrial "Alice in Chainish" sound! I'd see you live if you came to my town for sure haha! Are you a one man band or a group?

Great cover art, great guitar work.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. One man band. I don't perform live. My focus is writing and recording.
Cheers,
Vinnie

Hi there,

Very cool song - exactly my taste in song writing.  Also as "Alice In Chains" is my favourite band you check that box too!  Vocals are really great!  Production is very very good.  Interested in hearing some insights into this - the DAW, drums, mixing approach, mastering approach, vocal mixing, etc.

Now for the feedback:

- I would add some harmonies - the song can take it well

- The song is quite long - does drag on after a while, although you do break it up alot

- I would reconsider how you sing the "Natural Wild" part - could take a scream or a higher octave to make it stand out - also I would also try repeating it.

- The distorted guitars sound a little thin to my ears.  What are you using there?  I would suggest quad tracking or using a real amp.  On the other hand you frickin' nailed the clean guitars.

8 hours ago, jonlint said:

Hi there,

Very cool song - exactly my taste in song writing.  Also as "Alice In Chains" is my favourite band you check that box too!  Vocals are really great!  Production is very very good.  Interested in hearing some insights into this - the DAW, drums, mixing approach, mastering approach, vocal mixing, etc.

Daw - Studio one V3.5 Drums - Ezdrummer 2.  Mixed with waves and slate digital using a bus system. I track in one session, then export stems and mix .wav files including 11 tracks of drums.  Mastering with Ozone. Vocals - expensive mic and pre-amp; various compression, reverbs, delays, De-esser.

Now for the feedback:

- I would add some harmonies - the song can take it well

- The song is quite long - does drag on after a while, although you do break it up alot

- I would reconsider how you sing the "Natural Wild" part - could take a scream or a higher octave to make it stand out - also I would also try repeating it.

- The distorted guitars sound a little thin to my ears.  What are you using there?  I would suggest quad tracking or using a real amp.  On the other hand you frickin' nailed the clean guitars.

Agree with all of the above except the heavy guitars. Used the Helix from Line 6 and a Les Paul. I think the distortion sounds great. Cuts right through your nerves and is heavy. 

Thanks for the feedback,
Vinnie

14 hours ago, Vinnie Anzalone said:

Vocals - expensive mic and pre-amp; 

Hi Vinnie, do you mind sharing which type of mic and pre-amp you used?

7 hours ago, jonlint said:

Hi Vinnie, do you mind sharing which type of mic and pre-amp you used?

Mic - Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387

Pre - Warm Audio Tone Beast
Audio Interface Audient ID22