Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Onewholovesrock

R.I.P. Chris Cornell

I don't think there is too much in the way of 90's style Grunge fans here at the Muse. But Chris Cornell is and was a huge influence in my world as a musician and fan. He follows the big 4 Grunge frontmen Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) and Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) in death. Two of my other favorites out of the big 4 Seattle Grunge bands. Hopefully Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) sticks around for awhile. Chris Cornell inspired this version of a popular song made famous by Sinead O'Connor. Written by Prince.

Yes, this was sad news. I like a number of songs by Soundgarden and Audioslave. He did this after their concert at the Fox Theater in Detroit on Wednesday. I had considered going to it, but didn't.

Very sad and shocking news. I'm a big rock fan but never really listened to much of his work. I did check out his Nothing compares 2 u cover version last night and it's excellent. Must delve a bit deeper into his work! Also saw Alice Cooper say that within rock circles that he was known as The Voice which is pretty high praise given all the great rock singers out there

Yeah, he's definitely considered one of the best voices in rock. I myself love the early Soundgarden stuff. A bit more raw and heavy than the later stuff. 

Out of the big 4 I mentioned above. I would say technically Cornell is/was the best vocalist. I personally prefer the other 3 as again, they were probably more raw. Layne Staley from Alice in Chains is probably if not close to being my favorite vocalist of all time. Any genre'. 

That stuff was earth shattering back in the day. I remember my buddy discovering sound garden for the first time and we sat around his stereo leaning in listening to this awesome band he found. Someone get Eddie Veder a security detail at this point. Most of the guys from the Seattle sound in the 90's are gone.

My biggest moment ever in music was getting latched onto the Project Revolution tour in St. Louis as a local act (one of 3). We played the on the way in side stage with Hawthorn Heights, 10 years and Atreyu. Cool experience. On the main stage Chris Cornell opened for Linkin Park amongst others. We didn't get near them and never met or saw them but experienced that part of the show like everyone else (we were a scum sucking local band). Chris Cornell brought Chester out from Linkin Park and they rocked the hell out of Temple of the dog with Chester doing Chris's parts and and Chris Cornell doing Eddie Veder's parts. He had the range and was nailing all of those lower parts perfectly adding his own thing. To this day one of my favorite live concert moments. 

This totally bytes. Depression is a tough thing man. My daughter has been suffering from it a bit through her teen years and it is just so baffling to see someone so positive and full of life and accomplishments get brought down by it. Chris by all accounts was happy with family and kids and having fun on tour. Addiction also factors into this equation for all of these guys and that is what took most of them away in one way or another. Demons... 

Hell yeah Scotto! Sounds like a great memory. Thanks for sharing. 

Mental illness is a tough thing to deal with. It's good you are aware of your daughters issues. Sometimes those issues can go ignored. 

Funny thing I just thought of. I've seen a ton of bands growing up. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Nirvana were some of my all time favorites. But I never caught one of their shows. I was in route to an Ozzy/Alice in Chains show and on the way there a radio announcement came on saying the show was canceled. Bummer. I've seen Ozzy already so I was looking forward to AIC. 

Local "Way Back" rock festival here was scheduled to have Sound Garden as one of the head liners. Lots of bands. They cancelled the whole thing despite having plenty of big names. I'm not sure anyone could have done it. Such a big thing to happen in that world. 

5 hours ago, Scotto said:

Local "Way Back" rock festival here was scheduled to have Sound Garden as one of the head liners. Lots of bands. They cancelled the whole thing despite having plenty of big names. I'm not sure anyone could have done it. Such a big thing to happen in that world. 

Yeah, I heard about that. That surprised me. They were scheduled to play Rock on the Range Festival yesterday. I believe they still went on with that.