This place showed up in my facebook feed the other day.  OF course they're trying to get people to subscribe to their songwriting courses, but they feature a series of free video lessons, too, some quite short, some longer.  Picked up a few interesting ideas.

https://songtown.com/songwriting-success-1-lets-get-started/

• Like 1

I have a number of songwriting friends who are big fans of "songtown"

Thanks for sharing this. While they are pretty basic concepts, they are good reminders to start simple. I love having stuff like this to go back to when I'm stuck. 

I got this too on my fb feed today. May I ask what songtown is? FabKebab? Anyone? I'm just curious. It seems you can't even look through the window to see what's going on in there without opening up your wallet?!?! My guess it's a similar place to this, but they charge a lot of dollars for you to become a member. And the usual promise of having a lot of connections in the business, if only your song is good enough we'll help you get connected bla bla bla. All of which services you pay a lot of money for. Man, I truly dislike when people who supposedly are pro in some way try to scam amateurs in their own field, which I suspect is exactly what they're doing. I'm more than happily corrected on this issue if it turns out that's not the case. But until then, meh! 😡

What you can do is view that introductory video they have at the top of the site-page.

The first few minutes of it told me all I needed to know...not my cup of tea. ;)

Tom

• Thanks 1

Even if you don't subscribe you are able to read some of their past articles, some of which are pretty informative.

Dominick

I took a songwriting class with them and it was good! It helped me envision new methods of writing melodies and shaping them in a different way. I don't know about the membership site however. I'm still on the fence about it, but I joined their facebook group and they seem to have a supportive community where successes are celebrated, etc. Not trying to sell anyone on anything, just giving my perspective! It definitely won't be a fit for everyone but I did enjoy the class :)