Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This is a bit complicated. Some time back I was commenting on a protest song posted here..and I jokingly suggested I write a song called "Shut, Up, Sit Down, You Lost. Lazz commented that I should write it.

At the same time I got a new guitar and effects pedal and wanted to write something with no piano (my main instrument). So I wrote this song....the only problem was although I can sing, my voice is way too wimpy for this song. So I reached out to some fellow members here to sing it for me. My first request went to jOe (Onewholovesrock)...he couldn't do it but stayed with me in writing and production help. So I then asked Scotto..who did the a great job on the vocal. I also asked another member here for help (he chooses to remain unnamed ) He added background vocals and also did a great mix. This is probably one of the few songs on this site that has REAL drums (thanks to my brother). The words on on Soundcloud

Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks,

Chaz

https://soundcloud.com/charles-silhan/you-lost

1 person likes this

This is excellent, Charles!  I love it.  It's simple and generic enough to cross the aisle unless perhaps some are aware of the song's true intent and are offended, but I doubt it. It's funny. :P

Good musical sounds and great vocals Scotto and whoever else contributed.  Thanks to Lazz also for nudging Chaz to write the song with the title hook.

It's about time a song like this came out in light of all the political whining and complaining these days.  It's fun and a great hook by the way!

Only suggestion (not that it matters) is to have the complete hook advertised in the song title.  I think it would certainly attract more attention. 

Cheers

Mr. Buddha,

Thanks for your kind words. The song title was originally titled as you suggested... and if I had called it that, someone here would have suggested that I shorten it. Either way, it's an easy fix. It was nice to only have to worry about playing guitars and bass...thanks to some great members here. This song can be interpreted in a non-political way..for all the kids who were never taught how to lose.

Chaz

1 person likes this

Although we probably won't agree politically (I'm making an assumption, could be wrong), I think the song is catchy and clever. I usually would lean toward not giving too much away in the title, I agree that the title loses its impact without the hook. 

Sounds killer Chaz! I know you worked hard on this and it shows. Can't wait to hear the next one. 

Scotto as always sounds great too!

Bravo!

JOe

Nice collab guys - poor Hillary :). Well she did sort of shut up for a while..

Production wise think it could use a bit of drive on the bass to raunch it up a bit, but otherwise stellar performances all around

Paul

Thanks everyone. I saw this sentiment scroll by on my FB feed from all the politicos out there that I apparently have known at one point or another. The viewpoint it comes from fascinates me. 8 years ago friends from the other side were saying something similar. Whatever the next turnover is someone will be saying it again.  

I would never tell my kiddos that though. Pick yourself up, dust your self off, and get back out there and get to work. The battle might be lost but the war isn't over! May each side that really thinks they are doing what's best use this song as motivation... 

On 4/21/2017 at 10:13, chazmataz said:

This is a bit complicated. Some time back I was commenting on a protest song posted here..and I jokingly suggested I write a song called "Shut, Up, Sit Down, You Lost. Lazz commented that I should write it.

At the same time I got a new guitar and effects pedal and wanted to write something with no piano (my main instrument). So I wrote this song....the only problem was although I can sing, my voice is way too wimpy for this song. So I reached out to some fellow members here to sing it for me. My first request went to jOe (Onewholovesrock)...he couldn't do it but stayed with me in writing and production help. So I then asked Scotto..who did the a great job on the vocal. I also asked another member here for help (he chooses to remain unnamed ) He added background vocals and also did a great mix. This is probably one of the few songs on this site that has REAL drums (thanks to my brother). The words on on Soundcloud

Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks,

Chaz

https://soundcloud.com/charles-silhan/you-lost

Really enjoyed this song - certainly not for the faint hearted PC types.  Love the mocking of participation trophies and, of course, the reference to sour grapes loser, Hillary.  Everything was well done from the lyrics, to the music, to the production and the performances. You should enter it into the monthly song contest. 

1 person likes this

Thanks to all who listened and commented.

Ken:  Thanks

Joe:  Thanks for all your help

Paul: I wasn't really thinking of Hillary...she was pretty gracious. I was more inspired by the rioters on Inauguration Day. Trump (who I am not that big a fan of) wasn't even in office yet, and paid, masked goons were rioting...probably none of them voted. It was also a comment on recent practices of giving trophies and ribbons to kids who didn't win..so as not to hurt their delicate feelings, which actually hurts their ability to deal with the real world, where sometimes you lose.

Scott:  Thanks for all your help. If people want to hear just how well you did, they should just listen to my lame attempt to sing it...the next song down on Soundcloud.

Barney:  Thanks man...not crazy about contests, but maybe I will.

Thanks to all again,

Chaz

Great production, write and collaboration.  The lyric is clever in that it could stand on its own without political references.  I never like to box in a song and make it only work

for one particular instance.  The vocal had the powerful effect and like the crowd chanting in it.  Very nice song all around!

Holy Cow!  The next song playing on SoundCloud is "I Was The One To Tire"....that is FAB!!  Sorry to change subjects, but what a wonderful song also!!  LOL!!

Tammy

Tammy,

SO GOOD to see you back here. The newbies haven't gotten to hear you...and they should. Thanks for your very kind words.

Chaz

Fab song, Chaz.  I've heard a better mix of it though. ;)  <heh-heh>

David,

Yeah, I heard a much better mix too...but you have to love the guy doing background vocals. Thanks for commenting.

Chaz

Good tune by all involved! Good music, vocal, and I really like those lyrics. No matter what side you are on, you should appreciate the quality of this. Nice!!

Cool tune.  I think the tempo should be a bit faster.  It seems like the vocals are dragging a bit to try to match the tempo of the music.  Great job!

OK so as I listen for the first time I'm thinking the lyrics are too basic an rhymey. But then as the song goes on then I get it. I do like that it could be applied to a variety of situations, but obviously with the current controversial political climate in the US that's what most will think the song is about.

Nice job!