Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Qindfish

In my dreams

Someone wrote lyrics to an Instrumental of mine, we're still working on the lyrics... trying to evoke victorian romantic sort of stuff. Any ideas welcome. 

In my dreams i'm flying 

in my dreams i have wings i have wings

in my dreams i'm flying

in the air that solitude brings

in my dreams i'm singing

in my dreams i'm a bird i'm a bird

in my dreams i'm singing

melodies that never are heard

yes life is long

soon it's gone

who knows why

time slips away 

in the end bye and bye

in my dreams i'm happy

in my dreams all has past all has past

in my dreams i'm happy

and I know contentment at last

yes life is long

soon it's gone

who knows why

time slips away 

in the end bye and bye

How to give it hit potential? It at least needs some drums and some theatric sounding MIDI effects. Try playing around with a MIDI instrument to add an accompanying melody.

7 hours ago, Marc G said:

How to give it hit potential? It at least needs some drums and some theatric sounding MIDI effects. Try playing around with a MIDI instrument to add an accompanying melody.

Thanks for listening! Not really going for a hit, this is intended for a specific folk singer who wouldn't appreciate the MIDI. Theatrical is a good call though. Thanks!

i like the lyrics, you drew a picture there, but the music doesn't give me the feeling that you are flying

2 hours ago, DinaDraz said:

i like the lyrics, you drew a picture there, but the music doesn't give me the feeling that you are flying

Hmmm, good point. The current lyric draft focuses more on the dream aspect so maybe that'll help? Thanks for listening!

I fixed the OP for you. :)

I think it is lovely, my only issue is with the current presentation.  The incessant picking was really fatiguing after a while, but it is easy to imagine the melody with a different backing.  My personal choice would be no guitar at all - drop the folk concept and have the music be more spacey and atmospheric.  

10 hours ago, Oswlek said:

I fixed the OP for you. :)

I think it is lovely, my only issue is with the current presentation.  The incessant picking was really fatiguing after a while, but it is easy to imagine the melody with a different backing.  My personal choice would be no guitar at all - drop the folk concept and have the music be more spacey and atmospheric.  

Thanks for the fix!

Thanks! Re: presentation we're recording a new sketch with a very good pianist so hoping he can make the chords sound more dynamic. The space concept is cool, might make my own version in that style. I'm afraid it has to be folky though as it's a freelance request from a folk singer. Hope that whoever produces it makes it atmospheric though. Thanks for listening!

I like the lyrics and simplicity of this.

I'm with Oswlek about the guitar - it is a bit relentless :)

Piano might work with more sporadic arpeggio playing.

That could carry the percussion - then add some synth or strings to make it more floaty :)

Good luck!

Paul

15 hours ago, PaulCanuck said:

I like the lyrics and simplicity of this.

I'm with Oswlek about the guitar - it is a bit relentless :)

Piano might work with more sporadic arpeggio playing.

That could carry the percussion - then add some synth or strings to make it more floaty :)

Good luck!

Paul

Thanks! we're gonna a version with a good piano player before we send it to the artist it's for. If what your getting at is Arpeggiated drum rhythms I think thats very interesting. Your probably right with synth or strings too. Thanks again!

37 minutes ago, Qindfish said:

Thanks! we're gonna a version with a good piano player before we send it to the artist it's for. If what your getting at is Arpeggiated drum rhythms I think thats very interesting. Your probably right with synth or strings too. Thanks again!

No I meant arpeggiated chord patterns played on the piano and you wouldn't need other percussion like drums :)

On 4/20/2017 at 06:13, Qindfish said:

Someone wrote lyrics to an Instrumental of mine, we're still working on the lyrics... trying to evoke victorian romantic sort of stuff. Any ideas welcome. 

In my dreams i'm flying 

in my dreams i have wings i have wings

in my dreams i'm flying

in the air that solitude brings

in my dreams i'm singing

in my dreams i'm a bird i'm a bird

in my dreams i'm singing

melodies that never are heard

yes life is long

soon it's gone

who knows why

time slips away 

in the end bye and bye

in my dreams i'm happy

in my dreams all has past all has past

in my dreams i'm happy

and I know contentment at last

yes life is long

soon it's gone

who knows why

time slips away 

in the end bye and bye

Hello Paul :)

I'm hearing some cool things that could possibly be in the production of this song.  Perhaps, if you are going for the Victorian sound, you go have some organ in there, and one or two girl harmonies behind the voice, or even more to evoke a tiny bit of choir sound.  

If if you wanted to have a modern twist, you could put a cool modern beat underneath that to make it super interesting.  Just some ideas! :)

12 hours ago, Teres Anderson said:

Hello Paul :)

I'm hearing some cool things that could possibly be in the production of this song.  Perhaps, if you are going for the Victorian sound, you go have some organ in there, and one or two girl harmonies behind the voice, or even more to evoke a tiny bit of choir sound.  

If if you wanted to have a modern twist, you could put a cool modern beat underneath that to make it super interesting.  Just some ideas! :)

Thanks! all good ideas!

1 person likes this