Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DinoRider

Challenge Lounge

My question to who ever might want to do this is:

Is 3 weeks enough time or would you need a full 30 days?

I'll need to get the deadlines and the rest of the info up asap, so any reply would be appreciated.

I will also note that I'll do the challenge also, but will not enter. It will be available for a public flogging in lyric feedback after the end of the contest.

Edit: I would also like to refrain from posting the entries until a few days before voting starts, that way no one get's a sneak peek at the competition and you  have time to make last minute edits if need be. Once posted though, you will not be able to edit. 

Peace

30 days is better, but I'm flexible. 

Then 30 days it will be. That's what I was thinking, because it involves a bit more than scribbling some words on a napkin. 

Peace

PS

To anyone who takes part,

It might be fun to blog your progress here. Ya know, talk about your victories and frustrations or whether or not you could use "bo bo boloney" with a straight face. I think it will give the challenge more of an event type feel and would be cool to see the entrants processes as they progress.

Again, this is not required, but a departure from the norm of muse "contests".

So who's on board so far?

I'm in.  This should be interesting.  

Good deal!

Where are you starting?

I've started with the chorus and have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. I think from here I'll do the section before the last chorus then build an outline of events that gets the singer to that point. At least that's my tentative strategy. 

Good Luck!

Peace

I originally planned to start with the verses but as I listen to the tune today and watched the video I am beginning to see and sense that the chorus might actually be the easiest part. I am gravitating towards the chorus and already have a couple of lines. Not married to em' yet but digesting and feeling it out.  It's funny how music grows on you the more you hear it. 

Good luck too!  Hope others will join in!

I started out with this as my first line:

Before "Yesterday " there was Scrambled Eggs"

A Beatles reference which will elicit either a couple of chuckles or groans. Those of you who have no clue, Paul McCartney wrote the music first to the classic Yesterday -- as he often would have the instruments worked out before adding the lyrics.

How he got from the working name of Scrambled Eggs to Yesterday I don't know but this project may just provide some clues. Composing lyrics to an already written (in a foreign language) song should be fun! FYI - the lyrics for BY are on the Internet but were only of marginal use in understanding the formatting of the lyric. Knowing the actual lyrics does not make the creative process any easier.

That's my start:  Reconstruct the original format by listening or Internet, then let your inner Jedi to create your lyric.

Good Deal, at least 2 off and runnin!

@A Musical Key

I remember seeing that in a clip from one of those late night variety shows!

Jimmy Falon... and here it is performed!

Funny Stuff!  This challenge isn't much different, except for the language being unfamiliar.

Peace

9 hours ago, A Musical Key said:

I started out with this as my first line:

Before "Yesterday " there was Scrambled Eggs"

A Beatles reference which will elicit either a couple of chuckles or groans. Those of you who have no clue, Paul McCartney wrote the music first to the classic Yesterday -- as he often would have the instruments worked out before adding the lyrics.

How he got from the working name of Scrambled Eggs to Yesterday I don't know but this project may just provide some clues. Composing lyrics to an already written (in a foreign language) song should be fun! FYI - the lyrics for BY are on the Internet but were only of marginal use in understanding the formatting of the lyric. Knowing the actual lyrics does not make the creative process any easier.

That's my start:  Reconstruct the original format by listening or Internet, then let your inner Jedi to create your lyric.

The inner Jedi will be much more interesting.  May the force be with us.  

I must admit I have a double challenge that just surfaced earlier today that I am going to overcome.  I had computer troubles two weeks ago that have returned and have taken my access to listening and viewing the song and video to the confines of the local public library until I either get the PC manufacturer to fix the technical issue ( I thought they had done the first time) and or get a new PC . Still waiting to hear back from PC manufacturer.  

Either way, I'm still in this and have begun writing the first verse to go with part of the chorus.  I'm going to jot down what comes to mind first, spontaneously and then go back over with a reflective airbrush.  

Song is growing on me.  Voice sounds like a Japanese version of Lady Gaga, without the shock at least in the visual dept.

Bummer, I hope you get ti resolved soon!

Peace

10 hours ago, A Musical Key said:

1 hour ago, spanishbuddha said:

The inner Jedi will be much more interesting.  May the force be with us.

Before yesterday
I use to have a ha-and
Now that its gone
I'll just have to defeat my dad
Obi wan is Hassling me
To fly my ass to dagobah
And train with yoda 

Close? No?

LoL

Peace

"master Yoda" and it's perfect!

I have a bad case of "lyric blindness" I can't see the lyrics that would flow in my mind without effort when writing a song. Argh! I hope the blindness goes away soon.

On 4/13/2017 at 9:06 AM, A Musical Key said:

I have a bad case of "lyric blindness" I can't see the lyrics that would flow in my mind without effort when writing a song. Argh! I hope the blindness goes away soon.

The "Force" works in mysterious ways. I find ice cream helps sometimes. :D

No luck for me on the challenge - 8 versions and I hate every iteration! We'll see if I can pull something out of my ass for show and tell. Good to read that one of the challengers feels good about their entry.

Who else is trying this challenge? @spanishbuddha  @DinoRider snd I can't be the only challengers?!

Well, I have a draft I'm happy with finally. Now I need to read it out loud to check the flow and tweak the rhyme scheme. Mine is more of "an inspired by" version. I'm not using any of the English phrases scattered throughout the Japanese video.

Fire up!

Gary

7 hours ago, A Musical Key said:

Who else is trying this challenge? @spanishbuddha  @DinoRider snd I can't be the only challengers?!

Well, I have a draft I'm happy with finally. Now I need to read it out loud to check the flow and tweak the rhyme scheme. Mine is more of "an inspired by" version. I'm not using any of the English phrases scattered throughout the Japanese video.

Fire up!

Gary

Good to hear Gary.  I'm guessing at this point it's you, Dino and me and that's it.  But, the force moves in mysterious ways.  Perhaps a few more will crawl out from the woodwork.  :P

I can confirm 1 more for sure and possibly a couple others, there is still a bit over a week left so time will tell!

Peace

Reading my lyric out loud with the music was helpful. My lyric does not share much of the DNA of the original. Ouch! My chorus and bridge need help.