Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
obcbeatle

Adjusting pitch in Garageband?

Hello ... it has been awhile since Ive posted here. Nice to see the forums are still active!

My question: Is it possible to adjust the pitch of a keyboard (Software Instrument) in Garageband 11?

My problem: I created 3 tracks (Real Instruments) ... rhythm guitar, bass and lead guitar. They are all in perfect tune with each other. But when I created a keyboard track (Software Instrument) to add some keyboard fills to the music project ... the keyboard is a tad sharp to my 3 Real Instrument tracks. I selected my key in Garageband when I started this project ... and tuned my three guitars using the Garageband Tuner ... so Im not sure why the Garageband Keyboard is too sharp. But as a guitar player I know tuning is always going to be an issue :-)

Anyway ... if anyone here knows a way to slightly raise or lower the pitch of a software instrument in Garageband 11 ... Id be grateful for a solution. Adjusting the pitch pre-recording of the keyboard track would be ideal ... but if the adjustment has to be made post recording of the keyboard ... I can do that too. Also ... feel free to point me to a solution on a website/Youtube ... if there is one. So far my Googling hasnt turned up a solution that I can understand :-( Lastly ... if anyone has any tips on how to avoid these types of problems when starting a music project in Garageband ... Im all ears. Id like to create a short cheat sheet for myself on setting up Garageband projects properly before I start the recording process. Id prefer to spend my time making the music ... not fighting with the recording software :-) Thank you for any tips and/or suggestions! Jerry.

PS: I forgot to add that this would be for adjusting a pitch less than a half step, e.g. going from C to C# would likely make the keyboard track go from too flat to too sharp. So this adjustment will need to be a very fine (small) increase or decease in pitch. Hope that made sense :-) 

Never used Garageband, but would the AUPitch effect work?

22 hours ago, Alistair S said:

Never used Garageband, but would the AUPitch effect work?

Thank you Alistair ... that did the trick! It took me awhile to find AUPitch in my version of Garageband (it's an older version) ... and then figure out how to apply it to a track. For those interested ... in Garageband 11 v6.0.5 ... select the track ... on the right side of the screen select the Software Instrument tab ... select the Edit tab ... select "Click here to add an effect" (this was the step I didn't see at first) ... select AUPitch from the drop down menu. This will add the AUPitch control for the track. Once you click the AUPitch icon the AUPitch control tool pops up and you can adjust the pitch up or down for that specific track. The holy grail being that you can adjust the pitch between increments of a half step (of pitch) ... which for guitarists is a godsend :-) Thanks again Alistair for your reply!

PS: If anyone cares to share ... I'm still interested in creating a short cheat sheet for myself on setting up Garageband projects properly before I start the recording process. If you have any tips to share ... I'd be very grateful. The tips don't have to be specific to Garageband. Just those top 10 things you do in your home recording software and song project setup to be ready to start the recording process with less fuss. If there is a good website or YouTube video about all this ... feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks! Jerry.

Glad it helped!

I would not tune to the GB tuner (I don't use GB, though), instead use a standard guitar tuner - the clip kind or a pedal.  They're all pretty reliable/close to true pitch.

4 hours ago, Mike B said:

I would not tune to the GB tuner (I don't use GB, though), instead use a standard guitar tuner - the clip kind or a pedal.  They're all pretty reliable/close to true pitch.

I don't think he's trying to tune an instrument. He's trying to adjust the pitch of some recorded audio (from a vsti).

14 hours ago, Alistair S said:

I don't think he's trying to tune an instrument. He's trying to adjust the pitch of some recorded audio (from a vsti).

Yes, he said:  "and tuned my three guitars using the Garageband Tuner"

14 hours ago, Alistair S said:

Hi Mike/Alistair ... it's true that I was looking for a way to adjust the pitch of a GB software instrument. However ... Mike raises a good point ... if recording software tuners embedded in apps like GB are not reliable to say A 440 ... then that is important to know. Particularly if that is why I occasionally have issues with my real instruments being a tad out of tune with software instruments in GB ... even after using the GB tuner. I tend to use the GB software instruments later in the recording process. So usually all my real instruments ... guitars, bass, etc. already have tracks in GB before I even use a software instrument. I have only been using the GB tuner for convenience. I'll take a look for my old tuning fork and see if that makes a difference. Still looking for a good top 10 list of things to do before setting up a recording project. If anyone cares to share. Thanks again Alistair and Mike!

5 minutes ago, Mike B said:

Hi Mike ... thanks for the reply. Sounds like you're saying that home recording software app tuners ... like maybe the tuner found in GB ... may not be as accurate as a regular guitar tuner? Thanks for sharing. I had not even thought of that! As I just mentioned in my previous post ... I'm going to try to find my old tuning fork. Or maybe I'll just go out and buy a proper electronic tuner (any suggestions welcome). Thanks again for mentioning this!

2 hours ago, Mike B said:

My bad (I should stop skip-reading!) - pretend I wasn't here :)

I used to use my Line 6 PodFarm tuner, and the one in my Line 6 amp, but frankly, the reliability of clip-on tuners for guitars makes them the best option.  I have a very small Korg tuner that pretty much disappears when I fold it down on my Taylor headstock.  I also have a Korg PitchBlack pedal tuner on my pedal board.

But your best deal is one of these:  https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner?gclid=CLWXx5Wr6NICFQ0zaQodKMgCxA&pla=1  Yes, $4 and it includes the battery!  ANd they often have them on sale for $3.  I have 3 of them!

17 hours ago, Mike B said:

I used to use my Line 6 PodFarm tuner, and the one in my Line 6 amp, but frankly, the reliability of clip-on tuners for guitars makes them the best option.  I have a very small Korg tuner that pretty much disappears when I fold it down on my Taylor headstock.  I also have a Korg PitchBlack pedal tuner on my pedal board.

But your best deal is one of these:  https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner?gclid=CLWXx5Wr6NICFQ0zaQodKMgCxA&pla=1  Yes, $4 and it includes the battery!  ANd they often have them on sale for $3.  I have 3 of them!

Thanks for the tip/link Mike. I think I'll get one of those. For $4 it's worth a shot! :-) Thanks! Jerry.