Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Nameless Untold

how do you change a melody once it is in your head?

I have some new lyrics that have been coming to me lately and I really like them. My problem is that when ever I try to sing them to see where I want the song to go, I end up singing a Tom Petty melody. Try as I might not to, I keep ending up there. How do you shake a melody you know is not yours once it attaches itself to your lyrics?

Perhaps you should collaborate with someone else? Let them come up with a melody and go from there !

Don't know if you're using any chord progressions when writing a song. It appears as though you don't play an instrument, and you probably feel as though it is too late to learn one. Learning some basic chords on any instrument would help your melody writing...by changing the chords, your melody would have to follow along with those changes. It's hard for me to imagine writing just the melody...sometimes that's the last thing I write. Sounding like Tom Petty isn't the worst thing. Fab's collaboration idea is a good one.

Chaz

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, fabkebab said:

Perhaps you should collaborate with someone else? Let them come up with a melody and go from there !

This is probably a good idea. However, I have found that collaborations are not so easy to come by. If some one seems interested in the lyrics, I am game.

9 hours ago, chazmataz said:

Don't know if you're using any chord progressions when writing a song. It appears as though you don't play an instrument, and you probably feel as though it is too late to learn one. Learning some basic chords on any instrument would help your melody writing...by changing the chords, your melody would have to follow along with those changes. It's hard for me to imagine writing just the melody...sometimes that's the last thing I write. Sounding like Tom Petty isn't the worst thing. Fab's collaboration idea is a good one.

Chaz

I am trying to learn the guitar so far I know 4 cords, but I am not very good at them. I was also given a keyboard which I pick at every once in a while, but given the difficulty I am having with the guitar I figure I should take one thing at a time.

Aside from a few collaborations I have worked on I am a lyrics first writer. For this one I was actually going for a Tom Petty style which is probably why I have his melody stuck in my head. I agree sounding like Tom Petty would be a good thing, but there is a difference in sounding like and ripping off. Once I finish fleshing out the rest of the lyrics maybe finding music I want to put it to will help me change it, or maybe I'll need to change the lyrics themselves so they don't fit the melody.

Didnt you enter that AWESOME song in the competition last month (with the very cool country lick)?

Could you share your lyrics? At least so we can see what  you are looking at? If we all end up singing Tom Petty too, we will know it isnt just you ! :-)

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, fabkebab said:

Didnt you enter that AWESOME song in the competition last month (with the very cool country lick)?

Could you share your lyrics? At least so we can see what  you are looking at? If we all end up singing Tom Petty too, we will know it isnt just you ! :-)

Thank you for the complement on my song. funny thing is that song felt off to me when I wrote it. It has grown on me though.

Here is what I have so far. I haven't figured out a bridge, although I'm not sure it needs one. Tom Petty's Depending on You is what i can't get away from.

Reset Me

Baby won’t you join me out back
on the swing under the pecan tree
life’s been knocking hard on our front door
and I could sure use your company

Come on let’s turn off the TV
and take some time for just you and me.

Cause you reset me baby
When life gets hard
You reset me baby
Yes you reset me baby
When I’m feeling down
You reset me baby

Come on girl let’s go take a drive
Feels like it’s time to leave this town behind
Oh, we can ride out to the country
When I’m with you I always seem to unwind.

Come on let’s turn off the TV
and take some time for just you and me.

Cause you reset me baby
When life gets hard
You reset me baby
Yes you reset me baby
When I’m feeling down
You reset me baby

If you dont mind, I will have some fun with this and record a couple of different "interpretations" of the lyric -

it might at least show how your lyrics could be represented by a couple of different melodies!

I also dont know the Tom Petty song, so even if I try to fit that overall style, I probably will end up with something different!

1 person likes this