Sign in to follow this  
DonnaMarilyn

Anyone here use Spotify?

I recently uploaded a few new tracks to my Reverbnation page. I've now had a prompt to put them onto Spotify to (try to) sell. 

Anyone here familiar with Spotify (or other similar venues)? What can you tell me? Worth considering or best to ignore?

Thanks!

Donna

I assume that this is a pay service RN is now offering (how much?)  Spotify is included with CDBaby distribution.  It's just another streaming place, so no direct sales, and any streams net you fractions of a penny per play, (does RN collect these?  I know CDBaby does.)

It's usually part of a package deal to hit multiple services. Reverb Nation and CD Baby do the same stuff but there is a subtle difference. Reverb Nation gives you a larger share of some of their services, but they charge you a re-occurring yearly fee to keep it active. I have music that licenses and this model has worked for that. 

CDBaby is a one time fee with slightly less of a share on some of their services. No re-occurring fee. 

That being said Spotify plays are the same for both as far as what you get. .06 cents per play. The only way you really see anything tangible is if you get selected for a play list somehow (akin to national radio airplay). Really it is more about exposure and just having your music as readily available and as easy to find as possible. Both sites include distribution to Apple Music, Amazon MP3, iTunes, Spotify and others in their package. It just gets your music out there for sale online and available to stream for a nominal fee. 

What we all lack is exposure and the ability to rise above the echo chamber. For this type of thing I'm currently preferring CD Baby because of the one time fee. 

Hope that helps. 

It gets you exposure - and about 1 cent per 2 streams. If you're interested in the money you should become VERY famous first ;-)
(as for others Spotify is included in my CD Baby deal)

Cherrs,
Bernd