Hi all......I haven't recorded anything, at all, since 2015.......but, I got busy with this one just this last weekend.

As always, all comments are welcome, and first impressions are most appreciated :)

Thanks, in advance 

-Tom

She's In Love
By Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13520238

Forty-five more miles to go 
This old freight train’s moving way too slow 
She’s in love 
She’s in love ……..with someone else 

The sound of steel has a lonesome bite 
Crawling up my back on this winter’s night 
She’s in love 

I got out two days ago
From a jail in Ohio
Heading for the place I once called home
I hang my hope on my Loretta
But she only wrote me one letter
Calling for the day when I come home

The northern lights are a mystery
And there’s no solace in their company
She’s in love

I’m so tired of being lonely
I’d call home, if I could only
Know for sure that she’d be there alone
Now, all I have is my Loretta
And the words written in this letter
Calling for the day that I come home
And I’m coming home.

• Like 2

First impression. I  really like it. It has a nice rhythm. love the guitar work it carries that train tack sound that you are going for very well. and all the trains sound add nicely to the story.

Second impression. Maybe a little heavy on the train sounds it got a little distracting in a few places.

On 1/25/2017 at 3:14 AM, The Nameless Untold said:

First impression. I  really like it. It has a nice rhythm. love the guitar work it carries that train tack sound that you are going for very well. and all the trains sound add nicely to the story.

Second impression. Maybe a little heavy on the train sounds it got a little distracting in a few places.

Hey there Nameless....thanks for stopping by. I wanted this to actually feel like it was being performed on a train. Going for the realism of it all.  Thanks for listening!!

7 hours ago, ecasasmusic said:

I liked it. Good voice and nice atmosphere. The train effects are OK for me.

Hey thanks, ecasasmusic....the kudos are always appreciated.....thanks for listening.

And thanks to all who have listened!

-Tom

wow....this place is as slow as my cough medicine 

I don't usually listen to this sort of music often, but really appreciate the vocal melodies and the arrangments it builds really nicely 

On 1/29/2017 at 5:18 PM, Icey said:

I don't usually listen to this sort of music often, but really appreciate the vocal melodies and the arrangments it builds really nicely 

Thanks Icey....I appreciate your listening!!

On 1/30/2017 at 1:13 AM, HoboSage said:

I think this could be a fine song, if it didn't have all the train sound f/x.  I think the train sound f/x would make a cool intro (I've done that myself for a song), and maybe also have them at the end to bring the song full circle.  But, to have them so consistently through the song, for me, makes it all an annoying gimmick, with no "realism" to it at all.   Not even Boxcar Willy would have done that.  Should I send you the bill for having to go to the ER after the way-too-loud screeching sound ruptured my right ear drum?  Ouch!  ;)

Just my personal opinions, Tom.

Hey there Hobo....thanks for stopping by.

I think the song itself is fine.......but I guess the FX is what you object to.  Sorry for the annoying railroad spikes on the chalkboard ;-)  

And as far as a bill.......send that back to your care provider

Greetings IornKnee,

I honestly would like to thank you for this Very bad song that I keep listening to.

Simply a fine piece of artistry " no compliment " it's true.You made me feel riding 

the train and also put me in your shoes.I like it especially when you sing"she is in love"

as it delivers the message just right. This song is really RADIO  READY. Just good stuff.

9 hours ago, Tongue-tied said:

Greetings IornKnee,

I honestly would like to thank you for this Very bad song that I keep listening to.

Simply a fine piece of artistry " no compliment " it's true.You made me feel riding 

the train and also put me in your shoes.I like it especially when you sing"she is in love"

as it delivers the message just right. This song is really RADIO  READY. Just good stuff.

Thanks Tongue-tied...........you made my day!

I appreciate it!

B)-Tom

I really like the rhythm and guitars, keeps it rollin'. Maybe some punchy bassdrum or percussion could enhance that feeling even more.

Good voice, obviously.

The train sounds bother me at some points, especially the squeeking breaks. I would cut down on them a little. But the steamy thing around 1:20 is great for example.

But overall I do not think the song needs much work. Nice work.

I loved the 'story telling' feel of this song. As for the sound effects I think they all added to the great atmosphere created.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:08 PM, just call me charlie said:

I really like the rhythm and guitars, keeps it rollin'. Maybe some punchy bassdrum or percussion could enhance that feeling even more.

Good voice, obviously.

The train sounds bother me at some points, especially the squeeking breaks. I would cut down on them a little. But the steamy thing around 1:20 is great for example.

But overall I do not think the song needs much work. Nice work.

Hey thanks JCMC...........I'm working on a 1+1 that completely addresses that issue. And thanks again for stopping by!

On 2/8/2017 at 11:50 PM, Darklight said:

I loved the 'story telling' feel of this song. As for the sound effects I think they all added to the great atmosphere created.

Thanks Darklight, I appreciate you listening and commenting!

-Tom

I thought this was a really cool song. Just a few parts where the train sound clashed but I think it would be pretty quick to dial it back in those spots and it would be picture perfect. Really solid song all around... as usual! 

2 hours ago, Scotto said:

I thought this was a really cool song. Just a few parts where the train sound clashed but I think it would be pretty quick to dial it back in those spots and it would be picture perfect. Really solid song all around... as usual! 

Hey there Scotto......good to hear from you.

Double dipping in the contest, I see B)

I really liked, "Raise A Glass"........and I must confess that I gave "Black Heart Lane" a higher score because of your vocal. Not a higher score than "Raise A Glass", mind you........just a better score than I would have without your signature vocal. You have a great vocal timbre :D

Thanks for stopping by! It's always appreciated!

-T

Thanks! I'd rather be a half way descent song writer lol! Vocals while certainly trained is half genetics... 

Thanks for the comments on Black heart. I really just tried to copy Mike's original melodies for the most part. Some of my diction did change. I told Mike to make sure it was OK as I was in there early. 

Thanks on Raise a Glass as well! It fits what my live gig does very well and always gets a good response live. Nice to have it recorded finally. 

It's the conviction of your performance which makes this work so effectively.

Trains for me provide no distraction for that.

But we can never please everybody.

Radio-ready?

Not with that intro, mate.

Takes waaaay too long to get started.

What's the point of that?

5 hours ago, Lazz said:

It's the conviction of your performance which makes this work so effectively.

Trains for me provide no distraction for that.

But we can never please everybody.

Radio-ready?

Not with that intro, mate.

Takes waaaay too long to get started.

What's the point of that?

Hey there Lazz...thanks for stopping by ;)

The intro is what inspired the song itself....if performed and produced like how it's inspired, it would no doubt come across better.........but, nothing I do is ever radio ready.....I don't even feel that my recordings are good enough to give to friends without an "amateur's venture" disclaimer.

Good of you to listen and comment.....thanks!

And thanks to all who have listened 

-T

LOVE this. I think some of the other members mentioned taking out the train sound throughout. I sort of agree...I love it in the beginning and I don't think you need it in there. I got the imagery just from that intro and then with the rest of it, I would like to hear your voice and the guitar. The train sound could maybe come back in certain parts? or at the end? 

Other than that, I really love it. I've got the feels right now....many feels. Kudos to you on this one. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 7:20 AM, daryl1968 said:

Excellent - I really like this Tom - I wouldn't change a thing

Thanks daryl1968.....I'm glad it "hit the spot" Thanks!!

23 hours ago, Mutrins said:

LOVE this. I think some of the other members mentioned taking out the train sound throughout. I sort of agree...I love it in the beginning and I don't think you need it in there. I got the imagery just from that intro and then with the rest of it, I would like to hear your voice and the guitar. The train sound could maybe come back in certain parts? or at the end? 

Other than that, I really love it. I've got the feels right now....many feels. Kudos to you on this one. 

Hey there Mutrins.....thanks for stopping by. A 1+1 would probably suit your concerns. I'm working on it!

Thanks again!

-

B)-Tom

• Like 1

Nice track.  It reminded me a lot of the feel on Springsteen's all acoustic album.  The trains were ok to me.  I'd probably remove the screeching tracks part though :)

I liked the lyrics... imagery "the sounds of steel" and "just got out of jail".  It all works together to give that lonesome feel.

Good vocals, too.

Hi Tom

Nice one - great vocals and guitar work as usual with your tracks.

Good story telling.

I liked the train effects - but maybe they distract in places (a bit)

BTW - I thought this before I read other posts :)

Good work

Paul

On 1/24/2017 at 11:24 PM, Ironknee said:

Hi all......I haven't recorded anything, at all, since 2015.......but, I got busy with this one just this last weekend.

As always, all comments are welcome, and first impressions are most appreciated :)

Thanks, in advance 

-Tom

She's In Love
By Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13520238

Forty-five more miles to go 
This old freight train’s moving way too slow 
She’s in love 

The sound of steel has a lonesome bite 
Crawling up my back on this winter’s night 
She’s in love 

I got out two days ago
From a jail in Ohio
Heading for the place I once called home
I hang my hope on my Loretta
But she only wrote me one letter
Calling for the day when I come home

The northern lights are a mystery
And there’s no solace in their company
She’s in love

I’m so tired of being lonely
I’d call home, if I could only
Know for sure that she’d be there alone
Now, all I have is my Loretta
And the words written in this letter
Calling for the day that I come home
And I’m coming home.

Good one, a keeper.

I know you have received a lot of comments on this song already.

I first got to hear it in the January competition. In fact I just listened to it before judging the february competition just to calibrate myself to what an awesome song is.

This is one of my favourite muses muse songs in the many years I have been here.

Often I am looking for something a bit more quirky, but this song is so bare, honest and wide, wide open I just love it- there is this expansive feeling of the singer being almost the only one on this train driving through the great plains

I wouldnt remove the train sounds, I would more or less keep everything exactly as it is.

There is one minor thing I would change - resing the line "if I could only" since it sounds like you say "Fuck" in the middle and it breaks the mood a bit

Awesome write - well done!

On 2/27/2017 at 11:04 AM, webspinner said:

Nice track.  It reminded me a lot of the feel on Springsteen's all acoustic album.  The trains were ok to me.  I'd probably remove the screeching tracks part though :)

I liked the lyrics... imagery "the sounds of steel" and "just got out of jail".  It all works together to give that lonesome feel.

Good vocals, too.

Thanks Webspinner......I'm working on derailing a couple tracks for the 1+1.

Thanks for stopping by!

On 2/27/2017 at 3:52 PM, PaulCanuck said:

Hi Tom

Nice one - great vocals and guitar work as usual with your tracks.

Good story telling.

I liked the train effects - but maybe they distract in places (a bit)

BTW - I thought this before I read other posts :)

Good work

Paul

Hi Paul........I know! This has been an ongoing crit........but, I love the choo-choo's........like a good cowbell, I just can't get enough :D

On 2/27/2017 at 8:07 PM, Barneyboy said:

Good one, a keeper.

On 2/28/2017 at 5:02 PM, fabkebab said:

I know you have received a lot of comments on this song already.

I first got to hear it in the January competition. In fact I just listened to it before judging the february competition just to calibrate myself to what an awesome song is.

This is one of my favourite muses muse songs in the many years I have been here.

Often I am looking for something a bit more quirky, but this song is so bare, honest and wide, wide open I just love it- there is this expansive feeling of the singer being almost the only one on this train driving through the great plains

I wouldnt remove the train sounds, I would more or less keep everything exactly as it is.

There is one minor thing I would change - resing the line "if I could only" since it sounds like you say "Fuck" in the middle and it breaks the mood a bit

Awesome write - well done!

Thanks Barnaby.....and thanks you, as well, Fabkebab........I'll try to clean up the mistake.

And thanks to all of you who have listened!

-Tom

very nice, I love the feel of this song. I love the train sound. I would say that although I like the mouth organ, it and the voice seem to be fighting for the same frequencies.. maybe send it to a different space with a bit more reverb? Otherwise a song with real personality.

On 3/9/2017 at 11:45 AM, MGIFOS_SF said:

Digging it! Catchy guitar riff. Nice work!

Thanks....I appreciate it!!

3 hours ago, Fulvio said:

very nice, I love the feel of this song. I love the train sound. I would say that although I like the mouth organ, it and the voice seem to be fighting for the same frequencies.. maybe send it to a different space with a bit more reverb? Otherwise a song with real personality.

Thanks for stopping by and listening. I'm going to revisit this song a bit later and fix that! Thanks again!!

-Tom

this song has that kind of country feel and it is not a bad thing , i'm more into pop maybe due to the fact that i'm italian and we usually don't write country music . your voice is good and fits perfectly this style. 

On 3/12/2017 at 1:41 PM, saver said:

this song has that kind of country feel and it is not a bad thing , i'm more into pop maybe due to the fact that i'm italian and we usually don't write country music . your voice is good and fits perfectly this style. 

Thanks Saver! I appreciate it!

A Pisano, eh? Gotta love Pizza ;)

Thanks to all who have listened!

-Tom

Hey Tom, long time no hear!   This song sounds great -- very clear mix -- fine guitar playing and the vocals are spot on.  The song is well written as is usual for you.  I enjoyed the listen...;)

Allan

=-=-=

On 3/19/2017 at 10:15 AM, ABull said:

Hey Tom, long time no hear!   This song sounds great -- very clear mix -- fine guitar playing and the vocals are spot on.  The song is well written as is usual for you.  I enjoyed the listen...;)

Allan

=-=-=

Thanks man! Coming from such a well-polished troubadour, I appreciate it!! :D

-Tom

Wow. Cool tune! I wasn't into the intro, but probably because it was a bit too long. I think if it were shorter it wouldn't take anything away from the song. When you start strumming and singing it really hooks you in. There are a few train sound effects that you could probably do without here and there, or just maybe reduce the volume of them so they are more in the background. What I really like is that your strumming throughout really acts like the chugging of the train.

Outstanding vocal by the way. I wish I could sing like that. I haven't visited this forum in a while. Glad I stopped by today!.

On 3/21/2017 at 9:47 AM, JLE3 said:

Wow. Cool tune! I wasn't into the intro, but probably because it was a bit too long. I think if it were shorter it wouldn't take anything away from the song. When you start strumming and singing it really hooks you in. There are a few train sound effects that you could probably do without here and there, or just maybe reduce the volume of them so they are more in the background. What I really like is that your strumming throughout really acts like the chugging of the train.

Outstanding vocal by the way. I wish I could sing like that. I haven't visited this forum in a while. Glad I stopped by today!.

Thanks JLE3.......I appreciate the encouragement