Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonnaMarilyn

FAWM 2017 - AND IT'S ON! :)

It's that time of the New Year again. For a creative escape from the winter doldrums, be sure to check out FAWM (February Album Writing Month). This annual songwriting challenge begins on 1 February and finishes on 1 March.

http://fawm.org

The updated site is expected to be open again on 24 January, in readiness for the onslaught of lyrics, instrumentals, songs, and general madness & hilarity.The forums are already active, and folks are chomping at the bit, waiting to get started.

Four weeks of fun, inspiration, craziness, and camaraderie, ending in everyone having new songs, lyrics, or instrumentals, ranging from one to 14 and more. You set your own goal. ;) Fourteen pieces of work in 28 days is simply a guideline. Even if you produce only one piece of work, you're a winner. After all, it might be the one piece you wouldn't have created if you hadn't joined us. ;)

UPDATE for clarity: The pieces aren't intended to be 'polished'. It's all about just getting down the bare bones of an idea, whether lyrical or musical. The polishing and revising happens after FAWM has ended.

I hope to see some of you there. :) (A few Musers are already enthusiastic members.)

For more details, here's the official FAWM FAQ link.

http://fawm.org/help/

***31.01 :Good to see a handful of Musers at FAWM already. :)  

Donna

Honour the earth. Without it, we'd be nowhere.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Rich Blend

Guild of International Songwriters and Composers

*BUMP*

C''mon, Musers. FAWM's a wonderful opportunity for Creativity and Fun. :)

Donna

Just wondering why this is in 'Off Topic Discussions' - It's about as 'on-topic' as you could get :D

I'm sure I'll be participating. I did my first FAWM last year. Good time. February in Wisconsin sucks ass. I finished a few days early. But I wasn't working and I was home recovering from surgery. It won't be as easy this year. But I'll give it another whirl. 

Glad you'll be joining us again. :) 

Donna

One down. 13 more to go. Lol

That's the spirit, Joe! ;)

Donna

I signed up but I haven't written anything yet so now I'm behind. 

It's very fast!!! and I'm not used to it, but I guess that's *~the point~*

Great that you've signed up, Goldfish. :) Just take it at your own pace. It's a personal challenge, not a competition. 

It all seems so fast because there are so many skirmishes and mini-challenges, all designed to encourage and inspire. And the rich community spirit is infectious. 

Remember too that whatever you post can be a very rough draft. Polishing up is done post-FAWM.

What's your FAWM name? (Is it 'crisp1' by any chance? ;) )

Donna

4 hours ago, DonnaMarilyn said:

What's your FAWM name? (Is it 'crisp1' by any chance? ;) )

It's "colinbcktt"!

Donna,

I'm crisp1 -- I just wanted to be someone other than "lyriCAL" for FAWM! My avatar is my stepdaughters' dog, Cooper.

Writing a lot and really enjoying it so far. Someone has already made a song out of one of my lyrics (he did it less than a day after expressing interest) -- a rap/hip-hop jam that I wasn't expecting.

It's all YOUR fault. You are a great publicist/saleswoman. Wouldn't have signed up if not for you. :)

Cheers!

Doug

Aha! Thanks for letting me know, Goldfish. I'll keep an eye out for you. ;)

Doug, I realised just a few minutes ago - while reading a post on the forum - that you were probably crisp1. :)

So pleased you joined the FAWM madness. I'm honoured to be at fault for that. ;) And well done, having a collaboration already. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Thanks to the amazing skirmish insanity, I've already got nine lyrics up. I have one collaboration in tow, and am waiting to hear back regarding another possibility. A couple of the lyrics are destined for off-site collabs, so that'll result in a few more songs (after revisions). 

I hope to co-write with two or three more FAWMers, but prefer to take my time and track down ones whose style/vocals fit what I'm aiming for.

Anyway, it's early days yet. ;)

Wow. Nine! I haven't tried a skirmish. I'm just working on songs at my own pace. I'm lucky one already turned into a collaboration and don't necessarily expect a whole bunch. I did sign up for a random collaboration and was paired with a musician but other than a hello we haven't communicated and I'm not sure if we're supposed to be waiting for further instructions or if she's just too busy with other things for us to start working together.

I was nervous to do FAWM because I was thinking of it like some kind of competition but now I'm looking at it as pure inspiration. So, again, thanks, Donna.

--Doug

Yep, definitely a personal challenge only, Doug. So no pressure. :) A few times I had a lot of other things going on, so doubted I'd even manage three or four, but the skirmishes came to the rescue. Often the titles/prompts generate an immediate idea. And I always revise post-FAWM (or even during). 

Re the random collaboration: Send her a PM if you don't hear from her soon. I'm not sure, but I think the idea is that the collab partners get in touch with each other and take it from there. Once they've completed the song, they post it to the thread. 

Donna

FAWM 2017 ended on Feb. 28 and I'm posting this for two reasons: 1) to thank Donna one more time for encouraging all of us at the Muse to participate and 2) to let lyric writers know what a great experience it can be (if you write music, I'm sure it can be similarly rewarding but I want to speak specifically to lyric writers).

1) Thanks, Donna! There were a bunch of us Muse regulars (active here or formerly active here) involved -- I saw work by Iggy, Tammy, Cindy, Joe, Sharon (scubed), and Donna and myself and I'm sure I missed others. Many of our Muse colleagues had done FAWM previously, many of them had done it for many years. One or two folks active here signed up and then didn't really participate. I know it can seem daunting -- 14 songs in 28 days is the goal -- but you don't really have to do that. If you write one good song in the whole month that's still one more good song you've got than you had before. I went in not totally understanding how it was going to work and even once I understood much better, I just worked at my own pace.

2) As a lyric writer, this was the most amazing month of my life.

I've been writing lyrics as a hobby for maybe four years now and I joined the Muse three and a half years ago. Prior to FAWM, I had had five of my lyrics turned into actual songs -- three by a music writer who saw some of my lyrics online and wrote three songs that he then sent me out of the blue, one by a music writer who saw a lyric that I posted here on the Muse and then worked with me via email, and the awesome one by Justin for a collaboration contest last year.

The second lyric that I posted for FAWM appealed to a music writer who contacted me and asked permission to write a song to it. A day later, he posted a sort of rap/hip-hop version of it that really surprised me and, while it won't be airing on the radio, was a lot of fun for me to hear. I had a little dry patch after that in terms of collaborations but after posting my 8th lyric, I started getting more and more collaboration requests and, also, I took the initiative and asked musicians to collaborate with me. Some of the resulting collaborations involved real give and take with the music writer and some the music writer just put out a song, perhaps tweaking the lyrics to make it work better but without consulting me about the changes. Either way, it was very cool to hear song after song set to my words.

In the end, 12 of my lyrics ended up as songs (the final one doesn't have vocals yet because the musician lost his voice).  Some are folk, some pop, some rock and one is even a punk song. Three or four of the songs that resulted are unbelievable to me. On one, the musician re-arranged the lyrics a bit, changed one verse a tad, and added a few words and the upshot is that she made me cry with the song.

I wrote 20 lyrics in the 28 days. A few that I really enjoyed writing didn't get picked up for collaboration but them's the breaks. People participating in FAWM were (and still are -- there's a kind of post-FAWM commenting period going on now) super supportive and encouraging. Donna seems to be everywhere at once!

If you take the time to listen to the songs and read the lyrics produced by FAWM participants while it's all going on, you can't help but be amazed and inspired by the talent. Not every lyric is brilliant, not every voice is ear-friendly, and not all the music is wonderful but a heckuva lot of it is. And just listening to some of that great music and reading other lyric writers' lyrics kept me fired up and productive in the best way possible.

If you haven't ever done it, I really recommend it.

Doug

Alright! Another Muse Fawmer. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It must be cool hearing people create songs with your lyrics. I've never had that happen. 

I'm glad it's over. Lol. It was a battle this February. Work, family functions, practice with another musician, and of course a dreaded winter illness. I hit 14 post. But with music I think I reached 11 or 12. 

Seeya around the Muse!

JOe

Yeah, Joe, it was amazing for me. Sorry to hear it was such a tough month for you but congrats on hitting 14 posts.--Doug