Alistair S

Test forum available for your feedback

Hi everyone,

The Muse forums run on a very old version of the forum software and, at some point, I'd like to bring it up to date.

In doing so, we will likely lose some of the existing look and feel. The main reason it hasn't been updated in a long while is that Jodi wanted to maintain the same look and feel throughout the Muse (not just the forums) and this required a lot of handcrafting.

However, by upgrading, we will gain a few things:

* Soundcloud - the Soundcloud player will embed in posts just like Youtube does

* Facebook, etc. sharing - we can share directly with Facebook, Twitter, Google+ et al

* Themes - we can offer a choice of themes

* Add-ons - want blogs, for example? That could be doable. As could having a shoutbox, as another.

* Chat - works.

There are probably some more advantages that I haven't found yet.

I have created a test site with an upgraded version (with a new look and feel). Feel free to take a look. It's here: http://www.musesongwriters.com/testforums/ - you can log in as normal.

Note that:

1. At the bottom of the page, you can select a theme. Currently there are only two on offer and I haven't done much to tweak them.

2. Chat works

3. Sharing is viable (in each post, there is a share icon in the top right hand corner - but I wouldn't share stuff from test!

4. Ignore the fuzzy/missing avatars. I'm trying to work out what causes that!

I'm not going to rush into anything. Right now, I'm just playing around with it, but if you have any opinions, please post them here or on the test forum itself. You will need to explore a bit to see how the features all work.

Alistair

Thanks Salley.

I fixed the permissions so you should be able to download now, by the way.

Says my sign-in name is not valid.

4. Ignore the fuzzy/missing avatars. I'm trying to work out what causes that!

In my case that's usually from the previous night's activities.

Says my sign-in name is not valid.

Hi Mike,

On this version, your login name and display name can be different. On the new version, only the display name is used. Log in as Mike B

Alistair

No problems negotiating my way around the test site, fairly straight forward and handy in it's layout, like how the info window opens when you hover over a members name, as for the theme, gees I can't even decide what socks to put on half the time, though I'm not too excited about the round look of the avatar pics in the other theme.

I'm not overjoyed with any of those themes, to be honest.

However, the themes do seem to be moderately tailorable. I don't think there is any rush, so waiting to get the right look and feel (and to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises) is probably sensible.

I think the avatars are messed up because they have been made from the photos on this site (as far as I can tell) and then stretched out. I'm asking questions so that, when we do make a move, we can get as good a result as possible.

Of course, that's if we bother. We don't have to change a thing unless there is some benefit in doing so.

Hi Alistair

Had a quick look - looks good - a change is always refreshing :)

Paul

Not surprising since it's the same software, but the test site looks a lot like Songstuff looks - a lot.

I see what you mean - too alike, really. I've tried a new theme but it seems to have broken the test site for now. I'll fix it soon, but I do think we need our own look and feel.