Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Monso

Feb-March 2016 Instrumental Comp Discussion Thread

(EDITED)

Welcome to the discussion thread of the fourth ever Musesmuse Instrumental Competition!

This topic is for any questions or discussions concerning the Feb-March 2016 Instrumental Competition.

Here is the formal competition area (to be used for submissions).

The idea is to have a competition that is open to, and offers enough of a challenge for people at any level of musicianship, and any means of recording. All entries will be scored on their own, taking into account the perceived intent of its creator, without comparison to the other entries.

The main rules are:

• No intelligible words. Otherwise any genre, length, recording format, and assistance from others is permissible (you can even ask for help from fellow contestants).
  • Submissions must be something written during the contest period - either started or completed. This is a good exercise to explore an idea or find closure in an incomplete piece.

Feel free to post discussions on the Feb-March comp in this thread, including your intent to enter, questions about the contest (or even how to record), your trials and tribulations during the process, and come back for the post comp discussion.

The comp has begun; get your entries in by March 31st!

Does that include all February, because I just put up a new piece on February 2nd, that I'm quite pleased with.

Does that include all February, because I just put up a new piece on February 2nd, that I'm quite pleased with.

Yes!

K - it's up! And I've edited the heading post here as well.

Locrian! Very cool. I rarely get to hear someone focusing on locrian. Glad to see you took up that challenge! And the results are pretty dang nice!

FYI - I don't think I need to say this, but I'm going to suspend hosting the instrumental competitions until the future of the Muse is settled. If we can continue these, I plan to open it back up to all entries, not just songs created/finished during the contest time frame. Also, I'm thinking of continuing the once every two months time frame. Any feedback would be appreciated.

It's cool to have specific challenge contests to drive creativity occasionally. Also cool to have wide open ones where we dust off old things no one ever listens too. Look forward to whatever it is.

Every two months works for me. If the muse is with me, I can just about do it in that time frame.

Didn't realize the site was in danger. Doesn't seem to be getting as much traffic, I guess.

Well, I have found the secret to my success, and it is apparently to have less competition :lol:

Here are my notes. As always, I listened to each tune at minimum three times.

Mixed Messages 8

Very creative. I like that Rick keeps exploring. To me this a mark of a real artist. I also think this is one of his best mixes so far. So that’s two good fronts of growth. If I look for cons, well, the song is maybe a bit long. The solo electric guitar has a good tone but is a bit weird, even for me. :) Not that this is a bad thing. Just taste. Besides, the timing of it is admittedly pretty interesting. Um, I also want a bit more exploring instead of rigidly adhering to one scale/key, however like Rick mentioned himself, this can get difficult when working in locrian - there’s a good chance you’ll keep wandering into more comfortable/familiar zones. All in all, though, I was impressed and look forward to more of his material.

This Promise 6

Paul is showing he has a good grasp of musicianship and plays the piano pretty well. I like the playful use of accidentals, and too the song fits together really well. My problem is that it’s a very predictable tune, and too long. This is something I would expect to find in a stock muzak listing. Granted, it might be tagged “wedding”, in which we could say Paul met his goal well. Regarding length, I actually thought this song was over 5 minutes at first. There’s not much going on in regard to dynamics or contrast, and it just feels very long and repetitive. Paul has the skill to have avoided that, so I wonder if this song was rushed in creation.

Jazzy 7

I think Scotto is underrated. Granted, I also think he was a little lazy with this tune. I don’t mean to be rude in saying that, it’s just that I think there are lots of avenues for development here that weren’t taken. I love this piece, actually, but as the foundation to something more. I can hear other instruments, and even vocals. This song is part Pulp Fiction, part gumshoe, part something otherworldly/spiritual. Somehow Scotto made another tune that sticks in my head, and I hope this song is not dropped, but instead developed into something more.

DSP Love Song

My tune was creative but sloppy. The mix is also horrible and that's one part bad environment, three parts laziness. There are also some unusual frequency gaps that should be filled. Regardless I probably would have given myself a score of 8 or 9 because I met most of my goals, and because again I thought it was a fairly creative tune.

Congrats Monso - well done!

Thanks to all who participated and to those that found something to like in my piano piece.

I'll dig up my notes when I get home :)

Paul

Congrats to Monso! I liked all the entries.

I'll dig out my notes when I get the chance.

Here are my notes

Mixed Messages - 8

Wow. Very Unique and challenging. Hear the Spanish and the Asian influence very strong. This would be a cool unique background to a TV or movie scene. It is a little disjointed in some spots. I really like the uniqueness of it.

This Promise – 7

Cool piano piece. Very relaxing. Needs a little more dynamic maybe. After a while it is just piano.

DSP Love Song - 9

Love the big drums. Another tune that I could see as something behind a scene. Such a cool use of instruments and layers. I really love the overall feel of this piece.

Jazzy - Lazy is an interesting word to use here. Not sure I agree with that. Just because I never got it to work all the way doesn't exactly equal lazy does it? Either way it was meant for a vocal and I HAVE tried many times to get something to work (that wouldn't be lazy would it?). It just never took off and I was wondering if it could stand on its own. Now I know. Anyway this isn't a song that I fully invested in and that is what I think you hear when you listen to it. Really I just wanted to get something added to the list here to keep things going and get a feeling for where this piece was at. I knew of its flaws when I entered and mentioned that.

Enjoyable listen guys.

Jazzy - Lazy is an interesting word to use here. Not sure I agree with that. Just because I never got it to work all the way doesn't exactly equal lazy does it? Either way it was meant for a vocal and I HAVE tried many times to get something to work (that wouldn't be lazy would it?). It just never took off and I was wondering if it could stand on its own. Now I know. Anyway this isn't a song that I fully invested in and that is what I think you hear when you listen to it. Really I just wanted to get something added to the list here to keep things going and get a feeling for where this piece was at. I knew of its flaws when I entered and mentioned that.

Our songs are like children in a way, and it's easy to be moved more by seeming negative comments. "Lazy" was a meaningless word here, and a poor choice, at that. In my defense, as a listener I cannot hear the various tests you decided not to include. But seriously, apologies if I was offensive. (Side note: The whole "I don't mean to be rude" clause I'm learning is a stupid thing to include, even if joking. As soon as one says it, the other sometimes expects to be insulted regardless of what the real words might be. I'll have to be more careful about that.) Please take note of my compliments, because I meant them: I love this song. I think it is a great foundation and has room to grow into something very, very cool. Still today, it keeps rolling through my head, and actually I'm tempted to try something with it on my own (except of course, it's not my song). Furthermore, I think you as a musician and artist are underrated. It's your tunes that tend to stick the most in my head, and stay there the longest. I feel, and wrote, far more positively than negatively about this tune. Always glad to hear your work. Please remember that.

EDIT: I called my own song lazy, too.

I'm not mad at all. Just felt the need to clarify the word "lazy" a little. I do appreciate just the act of taking the time to listen let alone place compliments and so very sorry if it did come across as a little ungrateful or harsh. Consider it a gentle push back. I happened to work a ludicrous amount of hours this past week, damn the day job, and lazy probably just hit me the wrong way. Either way I do appreciate the time and you are welcome to play with this song as you like. Every time I revisit it I just mess it up. I do like my solo on this one for the most part and that is rare.

I totally understand how you feel on all fronts.

My 2 cents worth. ^_^/>

Feb-March Muses Muse scoring

This Promise

This was a lovely piece of music, and the mood perfectly matched in my mind the stated intention. The touch of ragtime in the verse gives a bit of an old fashioned romantic feel. Very much liked the transition to common time in the verse, and the change in feel that gave, serious but sweet still. Two things on the recording itself - the piano seemed to lack a bit of depth/resonance for me, some of the left hand work would have been enhanced, I think. And the run at the end does not sound like the same sound bank, which was a bit jarring.

DSP Love Song

Monso, that is my favourite piece of yours yet. Love the contrasts. Love the change between the factory, and the peeking at the girl. The changes, musically and tonally, flowed perfectly, and really changed the emotion each time.

My one quibble was that the static was a bit too overpowering. It's a great effect though, really helped set the scene.

Jazzy

Got a nice blues, jazzy feel to it, but definitely needs something more. I liked it, but wanted some oomph to happen. I don't see why a vocal couldn't be layered on there, it would sound great.

Good fun as usual. Thanks for the comment. I seem to be writing more difficult music to listen to, which is fine, though it still has to be listenable.